PDA

View Full Version : Gloves/Handlebars/Gel Tape

Kevin
02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
I have a problem with the compression of the median nerve in my right hand when I ride. The median nerve is located in the palm of your hand between your thumb and forefinger. When compressed it causes the thumb and forefinger to go numb. In my case, the thumb also swells. Has anyone else ever had this problem? If so, what did you do to eliminate the problem?

I am currently using PI Gel-Lite gloves. I was thinking of switching gloves. Does anyone know of a glove that "overstuffs" the padding in the palm of the glove, particuliarly in the crease between the thumb and forefinger? I think that this would reduce the compression on the nerve.

I am currently using Easton carbon bars. I was thinking of switching to short reach bars since my problem usually happens when I spend alot of time on the hoods. Does anyone know of a short reach carbon bar?

Does anyone have any expericence with the cork gel tape?

Kevin

Ahneida Ride
02-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Kevin

So Far, Assos have been the best gloves I've tried.

Jay Torborg
02-08-2004, 11:47 AM
I had a lot of problems with my hands getting numb or cramped using the Easton bars and PI gel gloves. I switched to the Stella Azzurra Tirreno bars and the problem has largely gone away. These bars provide a wider platform for the heel of my hand to rest on while in the drops which distributes the pressure.

- Jay

Kevin
02-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Jay,

Was your hand numbness in the thumb/forefinger or the pinky/ring finger? Did the bars make the difference or did you change gloves and tape as well?

I took a look at the Stella Azzurra Tirreno on line and they do have a nice wide platfrom. Does a HRM and cycling computer still fit?

Kevin

hypnos
02-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Median nerve compression has always plagued cyclists. Attempting to spread the compressive force over a wider area with padding and wider bar platforms is a partial solution. Often over looked is our hand/wrist positioning. We spend a great deal of time with our wrists extended, further compressing and stretching the median nerve at the carpal tunnel. Frequent changes in hand position may also help with relieving our symptions. One of the greatest breakthoughs for me was a proper fitting on the bike.

vaxn8r
02-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Specialized makes something called bar phat. It's a gel insert that goes under your bar tape on the flats down to the hoods. There are 2 sizes of "phat".

PBWrench
02-09-2004, 07:55 AM
My favorite tape in this regard is Cinelli Gel, but Stella Azzura also makes Techna-Spunga tape in a couple of thicknesses. Try the one for cyclo-cross for maximum shock vibration absorption. Also, I've found the Assos Prosline glove offers the most padding. Good luck!

NateM
02-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Kevin,
You might want to try a pair of the Specialized Pro Gloves. They have a pad on the palm that is designed to help with your issue. I have used these for the last few seasons,no velcro on the back of hand,an excellent glove,worth a look.
http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=5196&JServSessionIdroot=9bn5r9z6oa.j27006

maccpres
02-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Specialized bar phat. I used it and like it alot. It's a strip of gel that you stick on your bar and wrap the tape around it. Not as bulky as I expected but it is very comfortable. I wish I had when I rode Boston Montreal Boston and my pinky and ring finger tingled for the next 5 months.

Ken Robb
02-09-2004, 03:27 PM
I had this problem and nothing really fixed it until I got the bars up close to saddle height. Now I don't even need gloves.