PDA

View Full Version : Which road shoe has a wide toe box?

GuyGadois
05-25-2011, 11:30 PM
I've ridden Sidi Genius for many years but I think my feet are changing with age. My feet seem to be getting wider (along with my profile). I would like to look into moving to a new show company. I love the Sidi's for their longevity. Each pair seem to last me about 5 to 10 years (except replacing buckles every now and then). Come to think of it, they last longer then my bikes. I have always felt the Sidi shoes come with the most awful insole which is worthless. I add my own insole in them.

So, anyone have any suggestions for a more comfortable shoe with a wider toe box?

Cheers,

-GG-

cid499
05-25-2011, 11:47 PM
I also have a wider foot. I have found Northwave shoes to fit best for me, as they seem to have a pretty generous but not too generous toe box. I have had them for a few years and they seem to be holding up well.

I wore a pair of Sidi Genius for awhile (not Mega) that were definitely too narrow. I have not tried the Mega versions, but those are supposed to be 4mm wider than the regular width Sidis and might be worth a shot if you like their shoes otherwise.

dave thompson
05-25-2011, 11:49 PM
SIDI has their Mega (=wide). Shimano also offers a wide in their road shoes. I've found the Shimano wides are wider than the SIDI Megas.

norcalbiker
05-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Sidi Mega works best with my wide feet.

Ken C
05-26-2011, 12:46 AM
I have had great luck with both Aerators and Airlites.

StanleySteamer
05-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Northwave or Specialized.

vqdriver
05-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Specialized makes a wide which fits me nicely.
Sidi megas for my mtb shoes fit fine.

kgreene10
05-26-2011, 01:39 AM
I thought the Bont's were pretty wide.

jpw
05-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Lake and Bont.

Marcusaurelius
05-26-2011, 02:06 AM
I tried Sidi but they were too narrow. I found diadora fits my foot the best. I also have an older pair of shimano that fits but I tried a newer version and it was too narrow. I've yet to try the sidi mega.

alancw3
05-26-2011, 04:20 AM
i don't have a particularly wide foot i.e. wear D width street shoes and regular width sneakers but in the sidis i had to go with the megas after wearing the regular genius 4's for several years. genius 5 megas give me a larger toe box. you might want to try a pair. i just love the quality of sidis and like you said they last a long time.

gearguywb
05-26-2011, 05:08 AM
I have been usind Sidi Mega's for several years and just recently picked up a pair of Specialized to try. The Spec's regulars are as wide as the Sidi Megas (IMHO)

Vientomas
05-26-2011, 07:53 AM
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes that have a wide toe box.

champ
05-26-2011, 08:04 AM
+1 on Shimano shoes having a wide toe box. The custom-moldable models (R300, R310, R315, maybe R240?) are your best bet.

Kontact
05-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Lake wides are the widest shoes I've ever owned or tried - much wider than Shimano, Nike, Addidas or Sidi wides. Our shop started carrying Bont, but haven't gotten any wides in yet. They do seem promising - especially since they are moldable.

ultraman6970
05-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Specialized and shimano, unless u go to extra wide sidi.

In sidi I have noticed that if you dont go with the super expensive ones it doesnt worth it at all.

Specialized and shimano so far in my opinion gives you the best bang for the money. Good insoles (specially specialized), good quality and better prices. A 150 - 200 bucks specialized or shimano could cost 400 bucks in sidi, well u pay for the name also.

RedRider
05-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Good shoes are not cheap and poor fitting shoes will cause discomfort and throw off the whole bike fit. Before purchasing a new shoe, I suggest getting a foot evaluation by a certified fitter or a podiatrist familiar with sport/cycling. It's not just the toe box but the actual shape of the last that differs between shoes. I've seen a lot of foot issues corrected with foot beds or custom orthodics. First address any foot issues and then find the shoe that fits as the new insoles will change the shape of your foot and usually add some volume. Specialized makes a very good off the rack insole in 3 different shapes, Esoles has a semi custom that works great and then there are custom orthodics. Most people spend more time selecting tires on performance ratings than spend making sure their shoes fit properly.

ultraman6970
05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
"Most people spend more time selecting tires on performance ratings than spend making sure their shoes fit properly."

TOTALLY AGREE.

Hank Scorpio
05-26-2011, 08:25 AM
I have tried many shoes as well and I found the Shimano Wide version the best for me. I also had the Specialized Pro carbon in the regular width and they were pretty comfortable. I had previously tried Sidi Genius 5 megas and Northwave Aerator 3's which did suit my feet. I am going to try the bonts when I get a chance to try them on.

One note on my Shimano's is that they fit worse after the heat molding process. They heat them up and then you place them on your feet. Then they place these toe box cups over the shoes and then place a vacuum bag over everything. The vaccum process created a crease in one of the toe boxes and a pressure point on my left foot. I might try to re heat them and work out the crease before I buy another pair. YMMV depending on the shoe fitter.

veloduffer
05-26-2011, 08:31 AM
I found my feet widening too, as I age (now 50). My Sidi Megas are too narrow, and I use them without any insole. I have a pair of Shimanos that are ok, but I need very thin socks.

I have Lakes in a wide that fit well. But they have an all leather/lorica upper that gets hot. I'm going to try the Bontrager RXL mtb shoes that have lots of mesh. They reportedly have a good sized toe box, and the price is reasonable at $229 for their top of the line shoe.

kelowen12
05-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I have wide feet. Shimano, Specialized, Pearl Izumi and Sidi Megas have worked for me in the past.

mcewen
05-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Specialized and Shimano are known for their WIDER widths and Carnac and Bont for being wide across the ball and roomier in the toe box. If you have been wearing standard-width SIDIs you would be smart to try the SIDI Megas or a different brand's standard width, the marginal increase may be enough.

The benefits that the SIDIs offer --

Lorica microfiber uppers
Split-upper design that fits feet better
Padded, instep-adjustable Arch Compression Strap
Replaceable Micro-lock buckle and heel plug

-- all add up to a better shoe than almost anyone makes. And I disagree that the $150-200 Shimanos have the same features as $400 SIDIs. The Genius 5.5 Pro Carbons are $250 and have all you need unless you are a PRO.

Tim
05-26-2011, 04:02 PM
One more vote for Specialized- nice round toe box.

coylifut
05-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Good shoes are not cheap and poor fitting shoes will cause discomfort and throw off the whole bike fit. Before purchasing a new shoe, I suggest getting a foot evaluation by a certified fitter or a podiatrist familiar with sport/cycling. It's not just the toe box but the actual shape of the last that differs between shoes. I've seen a lot of foot issues corrected with foot beds or custom orthodics. First address any foot issues and then find the shoe that fits as the new insoles will change the shape of your foot and usually add some volume. Specialized makes a very good off the rack insole in 3 different shapes, Esoles has a semi custom that works great and then there are custom orthodics. Most people spend more time selecting tires on performance ratings than spend making sure their shoes fit properly.

I couldn't agree more. I'll take it a step further and suggest that every cyclist putting in big miles will benefit from well executed custom orthodics whether they have problem feet or not. they keep non problem feet from becoming problem feet. People spend more on a set of carbon handlebars.

tooonee
05-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Bonts are wide, but very aggressive. Could hurt your foot. I run bont A-Ones and would never get a different shoe but tons of people have problems with the aggressiveness. If I were to make a suggestion I would say Shimanos fully moldable top end model. Forgot the name/ number of the shoe but I used them until my replacement bonts came and they seemed to work great and have room but just weren't as stiff.

dancinkozmo
05-26-2011, 05:23 PM
...ive got pretty much the same issue as the OP. ive found northwave, sidi mega and lake wide all fit me better than standard sidi...if i had to pick one i'd definitely go with the northwave...just watch the sizing charts 44 sidi doesnt equal 44 Nwave :no:
picked up some tom boonen replica Nwaves for 70 bucks at bonktown a couple years ago, some aerlites? from wheel and sprocket last winter for 90 bucks, i think theyre made in china now if that matters to you.

LouDeeter
05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Sidi Mega get my vote. I like them because they are wide enough that even when my feet swell, they handle it, plus they adjustable buckle and velcro straps allow good adjustment. I've got a set of Northwave that also feel right, but I haven't worn them nearly as much as the Sidi Mega for evaluation purposes.