norcalbiker
05-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Anyone here doing the Lake Tahoe Century Ride called
"Americas Most Beautiful Bike Ride"?
This ride is next Sunday (June 5th) and ski resorts are still open. :D

SoCalSteve
05-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Brrrrr, cold!

The one year Sherry and I did it, we had headwinds the entire way around the lake...you say impossible. I say " fishbowl effect".

Have a great ride and if it's windy, do it in the opposite direction and then you will have tailwinds for 72 miles... :)

norcalbiker
05-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Brrrrr, cold!

The one year Sherry and I did it, we had headwinds the entire way around the lake...you say impossible. I say " fishbowl effect".

Have a great ride and if it's windy, do it in the opposite direction and then you will have tailwinds for 72 miles... :)

That would be interesting to go the other way while everyone else are going the other way. :hello:

Steve in SLO
05-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Its a great ride. I did it with my brother a couple of years ago when he was doing it with Team in Training. Watch the other cyclists, though, since this is one of Team in Trainings biggest rides and there are LOTS of relatively inexperienced riders out there.
Have fun!

SoCalSteve
05-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Its a great ride. I did it with my brother a couple of years ago when he was doing it with Team in Training. Watch the other cyclists, though, since this is one of Team in Trainings biggest rides and there are LOTS of relatively inexperienced riders out there.
Have fun!

Given that I'm a Team In Traing cycling coach, you have nothing to worry about with the Greater Los Angeles riders...I can't speak fir any other chapter of TNT.

norcalbiker
05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Given that I'm a Team In Traing cycling coach, you have nothing to worry about with the Greater Los Angeles riders...I can't speak fir any other chapter of TNT.

Are you an active TNT Cyclicng Coach?

I heard that the Greater Los Angeles TNT riders are the worse when pass them. :D

Kind of like the Lakers when they lose. :rolleyes:

J/K couldn't resist.

Steve in SLO
05-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Steve,
I remember feeling like there wasn't a whole lot of descending experience in some of the groups...things like sudden slowing and difficulty maintaining a line around corners. This make sense since many of the riders were from areas with few hills.

norcalbiker
05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Have fun!

Steve,

Do you live SLO?
I'm moving my son there to go to CalPoly this fall. What nice a place to live.

cassa
05-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I'll be there on the Bedford (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=79176) with the Upstate NY/Vermont chapter of Team in Training. We have no problems going up or down the hills because we get lots of practice here. Unfortunately, we also have lots of experience with wind and rain this year, so we are ready. :D

I remember feeling like there wasn't a whole lot of descending experience in some of the groups...things like sudden slowing and difficulty maintaining a line around corners.
My experience last year was that some of the non-TNT riders spent the whole first descent repeatedly screaming "on your left" at those of us that were holding our lines just fine. I happened to get behind a relatively timid descender, so I was taking it easy at 30-35 mph, but these speed demons kept coming by at what seemed like 50+ mph screaming at us as if they thought it was our job to move over instead of simply to hold our lines. It was the least enjoyable part of the ride for me, which is a shame because I love a good descent. It almost kept us from doing it again this year.

norcalbiker
05-25-2011, 07:00 PM
No matter where you go with that number of riders, there's always going to be idiot on the road. So you shouldn't let those things stop you from having fun.

SoCalSteve
05-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Are you an active TNT Cyclicng Coach?

I heard that the Greater Los Angeles TNT riders are the worse when pass them. :D

Kind of like the Lakers when they lose. :rolleyes:

J/K couldn't resist.

I'm an active TNT coach, yeah. But not for the Tahoe event. I'm coaching the Moab Skinny Tire event in September. I took about 5 years off from TNT and I'm just getting back into it now.

But, I know the L.A. cycling coach for the Tahoe event and he is a very experienced coach...I know this because he was a participant when I was coaching him 5 years ago...and, he's been a coach ever since.

Yeah, some chapters are not as good as others. The L. A. Chapter has had great coaches for many years now.

SoCalSteve
05-25-2011, 10:20 PM
I'll be there on the Bedford (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=79176) with the Upstate NY/Vermont chapter of Team in Training. We have no problems going up or down the hills because we get lots of practice here. Unfortunately, we also have lots of experience with wind and rain this year, so we are ready. :D

My experience last year was that some of the non-TNT riders spent the whole first descent repeatedly screaming "on your left" at those of us that were holding our lines just fine. I happened to get behind a relatively timid descender, so I was taking it easy at 30-35 mph, but these speed demons kept coming by at what seemed like 50+ mph screaming at us as if they thought it was our job to move over instead of simply to hold our lines. It was the least enjoyable part of the ride for me, which is a shame because I love a good descent. It almost kept us from doing it again this year.

Go Team!!!!!

majl
05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
If the weather takes a turn for the worse, this is what you can look forward to. Pic taken last week on the same day as the canceled Stage 1 of the Tour of California after 25 miles of riding from South Lake Tahoe to Tahoe City. Temps had dropped from 35 at the start of the ride down to about 28 by the time we reached Tahoe City with big flakes coming down. Note the ice...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj117/majl160/Forums/photo-1-1.jpg

Steve in SLO
05-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Steve,

Do you live SLO?
I'm moving my son there to go to CalPoly this fall. What nice a place to live.
Yes, I do.
PM me before you come down and bring a bike...

norcalbiker
05-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, I do.
PM me before you come down and bring a bike...

I am going to take you up on this offer. I am planning on making three trips this year. :hello: