PDA

View Full Version : This one is personal, "they are all personal"

dixiesdad
05-24-2011, 09:39 AM
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/05/bicyclist_killed_in_troy_towns.html

Just heard this morning that the father of one of the guys in the office, was killed in a car/bike accident last night. Personal to me as I was struck by a 74 year old driver 3 years ago with just broken bones, and the person in my office (the son) was ironically hit by a car 1 year ago and has since quit riding. This makes me want to give up cycling and just run. I am sick!!!!

AngryScientist
05-24-2011, 09:49 AM
terrible news indeed.

this kind of stuff should be more widely publicized, to raise awareness and let drivers know that inattentiveness can and does kill people. not make them late for dinner, not miss cell phone calls or text messages, kill people.

my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

thwart
05-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Sad to hear of it. Tough work---juvenile court system. A loss in many ways.

Hang in there. People get hit running as well...

http://www.wfmz.com/news/22862879/detail.html

People need to take driving more seriously. Stiffer penalties for 'unintentional' accidents would help, IMHO.

Ahneida Ride
05-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Some "i won't say the word" runs ads, promoting himself as the DWI guy.
Claims to get ya outa a DWI case.

Why ? ... cause a DWI can cost ya frns.

Until I hear the "I won't say the word" guy running ads for defending
motorists that hit cyclists,

I'll know that there isn't much repercussions for mowing down cyclists.

Please remember David Ryan ...

http://www.davidtryan.com/intro.htm

InspectorGadget
05-24-2011, 10:56 AM
My sincere condolences to you and his family.

The laws seem to be way too tolerant of drivers that kill and maim cyclists & runners. I think the solution is education not legislation. However, since we all know some people are not educable, we still need more stringent laws.

Peter P.
05-24-2011, 03:31 PM
The lack of information from the police department regarding the accident leads me to believe they're trying to protect one of their own. Under normal circumstances, I would expect more details, such as ID of the driver.

I wonder whether we'll see charges against the driver. As most of us involved in bike accidents can attest, very seldom is the driver charged with an offense.

Let's see if the victim's judgeship makes a difference.

Louis
05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Under normal circumstances, I would expect more details, such as ID of the driver.

:confused: :confused:

he was struck by a northbound car driven by Kelly Cox, 42, of Troy Township.

Grant McLean
05-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Please, it's not an "accident". Call it a collision, or anything but a word
that trivializes the seriousness of the tragedy.

Killing someone with your car is no "accident", it is the predictable and
preventable outcome of incompetence, or negligence. Framing the situation
as unintended doesn't absolve the responsibility of blame.

-g

Vancouverdave
05-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Some "i won't say the word" runs ads, promoting himself as the DWI guy.
Claims to get ya outa a DWI case.

Why ? ... cause a DWI can cost ya frns.

Until I hear the "I won't say the word" guy running ads for defending
motorists that hit cyclists,

I'll know that there isn't much repercussions for mowing down cyclists.

Please remember David Ryan ...

http://www.davidtryan.com/intro.htm
I've always thought that the right price for gasoline is however high it has to be so that chronic DUI's can either afford hooch or gas--but not both. $6,7,8 dollar a gallon gas will be a blessing to this country in so many ways I can't count them.

Louis
05-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Please, it's not an "accident". Call it a collision, or anything but a word
that trivializes the seriousness of the tragedy.

Killing someone with your car is no "accident", it is the predictable and
preventable outcome of incompetence, or negligence. Framing the situation
as unintended doesn't absolve the responsibility of blame.

-g

As far as we know, there are no details out yet.

What if the driver was stung by a bee just as she went by the cyclist and involuntarily swerved, hitting and killing him? IMO that's an accident.

She may have been drunk. She might have a bunch of previous DWI's. In that case you are correct. Until the details are out it's premature to draw any conclusions.

fiamme red
05-24-2011, 04:29 PM
http://news-herald.com/articles/2011/05/24/news/doc4ddbedd9823e4800488165.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Henry, 53, of Auburn Township, was bicycling northbound on Rapids Road about four-tenths of a mile south of Greystone Drive around 7:30 p.m. Monday.

A vehicle driven by 42-year-old Troy Township resident Kelly Cox struck him, and Henry was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol.

The driver told the Geauga County Sheriff’s Office that she left the scene thinking she had struck a deer. She called deputies after getting home when she realized what she had done, according to sheriff’s reports.

I don't believe her story. Sunset in that area is at 8:45 p.m. now, so it wasn't after dark. The road where he was hit has no shoulder, but it's perfectly straight, on a slight incline. How could she think that she hit a deer unless she wasn't looking at the road?

Grant McLean
05-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Until the details are out it's premature to draw any conclusions.

You're right, but that's exactly why the media should use the word collision
and not accident. Using the word accident draws a conclusion.

-g

Louis
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Despite what I posted above about the bee, I bet over 90% of car + bike incidents are due to inattention and the vast majority of the remaining % due to inappropriately aggressive behavior.

dixiesdad
05-24-2011, 04:55 PM
you leave the scene because you screwed up and don't want to deal with the concequences....thought she hit a deer...what a pathetic way to trivialize someones father, husband, leader in the community.....Either you see a deer or you don't..a man on a bike looks nothing like a deer if you are watching the road. A deer also runs across the road, and if you can't identify a deer from a cyclist maybe you were not paying attention???? more to follow

thwart
05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
How anyone could hit a cyclist (and kill them outright) in broad daylight and think they hit a deer.... :confused: ... and continue to just drive away...

She likely had alcohol on board or had second thoughts about doing the hit 'n run thing. Or both.

Be careful out there. Idiots killing cyclists and pedestrians both.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05/transportation-for-america-dangerous-by-design/

CNY rider
05-24-2011, 06:08 PM
How anyone could hit a cyclist (and kill them outright) in broad daylight and think they hit a deer.... :confused: ... and continue to just drive away...

She likely had alcohol on board or had second thoughts about doing the hit 'n run thing. Or both.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05/transportation-for-america-dangerous-by-design/

Yeah that would be like driving a woman off a bridge in your car and leaving her there to drown, without alerting anyone to help her.
Oh, sorry, you mean that's already been done? :no:

slowgoing
05-24-2011, 06:27 PM
She may have needed the extra hours for her blood alcohol level to drop. Plus now she can say she had a drink or two after she got home.

Dekonick
05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
A friends son was struck while biking on Sunday. He is not doing well and has a brain bleed... and was NOT wearing a helmet :no:

Insult to injury, I worked on him.

Reason? I suspect a cell phone may have been involved.

Bruce K
05-24-2011, 06:39 PM
CNY -

That wasn't nice. :no:

While I wasn't a big fan, the guy is dead and gone. Give it a rest.

BK

AngryScientist
05-24-2011, 06:59 PM
i dont know about you folks, but even if i do hit a deer, i'm going to stop, check that my car is cool, and call the police to either remove the deer body or attend to its wounds or put it out of its misery. who thinks they hit a deer and just drives off?