PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

Willy
02-07-2004, 11:04 PM
How often or when do people replace their brake pads? Also when you do replace them, on Dura Ace brakes - how do you pull the pad out of the holder?

thanks

flydhest
02-07-2004, 11:06 PM
I don't use Shimano, so I can't answer the second part, but I replace brake pads when they are worn out. No time or mileage, I just look at the brake pad and when they are worn down, chuck 'em.

Kevin
02-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Ditto to what Flydhest said.

Kevin

Jay Torborg
02-08-2004, 12:27 PM
I've found that Dura-Ace pads where fairly quickly compared to other pads I've tried, particularly if you use them in wet, dirty conditions. I like the Koolstop pads a bit better and they are direct replacements to the Dura-Ace pads.

The Dura-Ace pads last me about 6 months during the summer and about 2 months during the winter, but flyhest and willy said, I replace them when they're worn out.

To remove the pad, I loosen the lockscrew then use a pair of wide-jaw pliers (with one jaw against the mounting bolt and one jaw against the brake pad at the closed end of the pad holder) and squeeze. The pad will slide out. The new pad generally goes in a lot easier.

jbay
02-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Willy asked
[...] Also when you do replace them, on Dura Ace brakes - how do you pull the pad out of the holder?

One method to remove the pad from the holder follows:

- Unscrew the little set screw in the shoe a few turns
- Apply the brake gently
- Roll the bike backwards
- Voila

And when you do replace them, use Koolstop salmon coloured pads. They are the business.

-- John