PDA

View Full Version : Fair price on Moots Mooto X 29er frame???

indyrider
05-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Ive got a line a nice Mooto X 29er frame with a King hs for $1500. The retail is 3k, but Ive seen these go for a bit less for the frame and not much more for the complete rig...

Im in the largest size and they dont come up often, so this might be my only chance for a while.

Im riding a Niner MCR currently and its an absolutely sweet rig, but I love ti, the wishbone stays, and just Moots in general....

Half off OK? What say you?

Indy

Liberace
05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
It's a freaking steal at $1500.

msl819
05-24-2011, 08:26 AM
indy,

you and i are about the same size so i understand where you are. larger frames can be tricky. they dont come up often, so sometimes there are a few guys looking and it makes something get top dollar and sometimes since it is that large no one bits so it fetches less. the question i would ask you is if you buy it are you planning to keep it forever or sell next year. at that price, from what i have seen, that is a fair price if you plan to have it long term. however, if you flip bikes every year or so you may take a hit. Ti is funny right now. Moots is as good as it gets in that market, but for whatever reasons, ti has lost its appeal to the masses. The last thing to consider, which i am sure you know, is how much it will cost you build it up. You will always get more for you $$ buying a whole bike than a frame and building, but building it up you get to pick and choose. at least that is what my experience has taught me. personally i say buy, because if you do sell you will list here and that is one more great bike to have a chance at in the future.

Dave B
05-24-2011, 08:34 AM
That is a pretty good deal. i wouldn't hesitate for that at all!

indyrider
05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
I tend to flip frames every year or so, but the Moots in all likelihood will be a keeper...

I figure it will take another grand or so to build it properly, so thats why Im a little trigger shy or should I say that my wife is making me trigger shy. Unfortunately she's on to my addiction and will know just by looking, that the Moots is ultra high end compared with the Niner, which will definitely have to go...

decisions, decisions,....

Steve in SLO
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
I agree that this is a pretty good deal.
The combo of large size and sub-$1700 price is pretty rare.
I have ridden both frames and I don't think you'll look back.

Ken Robb
05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
can you swap some of the components from the 29er to keep costs down?

DRZRM
05-24-2011, 11:03 AM
When you flip it in a year, can I call dibs? Moots retain value better than most ti frames, and 29ers are hot. Sounds like a very fair price to me and I suspect you'd be able to get your money back out.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Ive got a line a nice Mooto X 29er frame with a King hs for $1500. The retail is 3k, but Ive seen these go for a bit less for the frame and not much more for the complete rig...

Im in the largest size and they dont come up often, so this might be my only chance for a while.

Im riding a Niner MCR currently and its an absolutely sweet rig, but I love ti, the wishbone stays, and just Moots in general....

Half off OK? What say you?

Indy

Any time you can get a ti frame for 1/2 of retail, particularly the quality of Moots, it is a screaming good deal.

The Rigor?

I have a Moto-X ybb on the floor as a demo and it is a sweet ride. As is the Rigor. 29er wheels + titanium is 'almost' like suspension.

jh_on_the_cape
05-24-2011, 12:10 PM
If it's a YBB it's a great price. If it's not, then so-so. Many options out there in hardtail, but not in softail.

If it's a non-YBB I would be surprised if you could tell much of a diff over the niner.

Also, check that it has ample rear tire clearance. Some of the earlier ones did not, because tire selection was not there yet.

A recent model Moots YBB 29er is one of those bikes I really really want but is SOOO expensive.

I had a YBB 26er I rode for years and loved. it was too small but i almost did not care until I rode the next size up.

indyrider
05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Its a Rigor and a newer model so no prob with tire clearance. Price however, maybe I'd find one a bit cheaper, but thats a crapshoot...I figure it will have somewhat of the same ride quality but until I rock it, I'll never know.

I thought I could also swap the drivetrain from my niner but the Moots deserves better than older xt...I guess if I dont bite, I'll never know what Im missing...

Ill be making the final decision tonight!

rinconryder
05-24-2011, 03:01 PM
That's a great deal and the way Ti is it will potentially look brand new, especially if you get it refurbished down the road. If it fits you, pull the trigger. I bought a used Moots Compact and it is hands down my favorite bike, even more so than my Peg. Can't speak to their mountain bikes as I have never ridden one, but I can only imagine that they are great. I say do it - you only live once bro.

amgc36
05-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I bought a large, 2010 Mooto-x 29er hardtail a few months ago in a local sale. It was fully built and had exactly what I wanted, which was the Rohloff setup. I feel that I got a good deal on a bike that had 13 miles on it and breaking out the parts, I paid quite a bit more for my frame/HS. That being said, $1500 for frame and headset is a great deal.

I own quite a few Moots and feel that even if you were to sell it in a year, you'd do fine. If not, you'll definitely enjoy owning and riding the Moots for however long you have it.

William

pdmtong
05-25-2011, 12:14 AM

theres your answer right there....BIN

gearguywb
05-25-2011, 05:07 AM
1500 sounds 'bout right, and if it is really good shape a fair amount more. Most complete builds, with good components sell in the high 2 to mid 3g's range.

If it fits...you must committ

rugbysecondrow
05-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Its a Rigor and a newer model so no prob with tire clearance. Price however, maybe I'd find one a bit cheaper, but thats a crapshoot...I figure it will have somewhat of the same ride quality but until I rock it, I'll never know.

I thought I could also swap the drivetrain from my niner but the Moots deserves better than older xt...I guess if I dont bite, I'll never know what Im missing...

Ill be making the final decision tonight!

Go for the frame but swap parts. Bikes don't deserve anything, especially a mtb. Ride it with your current parts and replace them as you brake them. If you ride off road regularly, that beats up gear so no use being too proper here.

jblande
05-25-2011, 05:30 AM
how much is retail for a mooto x ybb?

oldpotatoe
05-25-2011, 07:43 AM
how much is retail for a mooto x ybb?

I'm at home but I think $3250 for the frame.

jmason6
05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Dude it's a Moots, it will last forever and most likely when you flip it will have retained its value.

Pete Serotta
05-25-2011, 10:54 AM
mine is not as old as me but it is old and has been to Italy, France, and all over the US ......... :eek: PETE :beer:

Yes I am biased but the Moots is a nice ride :)

Dude it's a Moots, it will last forever and most likely when you flip it will have retained its value.