PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay pedals - does anyone on The Forum use them?

dd74
05-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm looking into new pedals. I was at the 8th stage of the Amgen Tour and saw the Speedplay display. Very impressive pedals. I particularly like the Ti spindle pedal. I had Speedplay pedals about ten years ago and wasn't impressed with their surface area and their float. Currently, you can lock out the float, but it's the surface area I'm concerned with.

Anyway, I would just like some opinions about Speedplay vs. something like a Dura Ace pedal.

Thanks.

dave thompson
05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm looking into new pedals. I was at the 8th stage of the Amgen Tour and saw the Speedplay display. Very impressive pedals. I particularly like the Ti spindle pedal. I had Speedplay pedals about ten years ago and wasn't impressed with their surface area and their float. Currently, you can lock out the float, but it's the surface area I'm concerned with.

Anyway, I would just like some opinions about Speedplay vs. something like a Dura Ace pedal.

Thanks.
While the Speedplay pedal itself is small, the cleats are large and offer more surface area on the bottom of the shoes than many other brands of cleats.

oldguy00
05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I've used the zeros for quite a while. I love them, but I like the feel of free float.
So...
1. As far as I know, the shape has not changed much over time, so if you didn't like the contact area before, you probably still won't. That said, speedplay claims to have a larger contact area than most pedals due to the surface area of the cleat.
2. Compared to Dura Ace, the float feels -much- different. With the DA pedals, you almost have to purposely twist your foot to use the float, it isn't really 'free float', at least that is my, and my training buddies' experiences.

If you don't want float, I'd go with Dura Ace and buy the non-float cleats. Mainly because replacement cleats for the DA pedals are much cheaper.

Cheers

AngryScientist
05-23-2011, 05:07 PM
i use speedplay zeros on all of my road bikes. i have the Ti version on my Merlin, which i got used off of this forum classifieds. in my experience they are excellent pedals, very secure, and the zeros you can adjust float almost infinitely. i have mine set to very little float, but the option is there.

my favorite feature is the double sided entry, no looking down, no flipping the pedal over, stomp and go.

they take some getting used to, for sure, coming from another pedal system, but worth it IMO.

avalonracing
05-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm a Zero user and I like them very much. I find them to feel a bit more like my old D/A SPD-R pedals (which I loved) than the current D/A pedals.

dd74
05-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm migrating to Campy from Dura Ace, and wanted to see what pedal options are out there. I know I can use my DA pedals with the Campy cranks, but wanted to try something different.

I guess I can't use the Dura Ace cleats with anything other than Dura Ace (or other Shimano ) pedals, correct? I also have Shimano R310 shoes.

MattTuck
05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
I use speedplay zeros, the stainless version.

I like 'em.

float is set to moderate but not crazy.

I do like the double sided engagement mechanism. to me, that is worth the price of admission. Walking on the cleats is pretty painful though, pick up some cleat covers if you go that way.

Ken Robb
05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I liked the regular Speedplays on the bike but hated walking/standing in them so I got rid of them.

rickbb
05-23-2011, 06:29 PM
I liked them regular Speedplays on the bike but hated walking/standing in them so I got rid of them.

+1 I loved them riding but they were awful on bridge walks and the like.

Sheldon4209
05-23-2011, 06:32 PM
I took my wife to an orthopedic doc last week. It turns out that he rides quite a bit and Speedplay is the only pedal he can use. I asked if all cyclists should ride Speedplay and he said no, but that is what works for me.

Volant
05-23-2011, 06:33 PM
X2 and Frogs fan here!! Gave up my DA pedals a long time ago and my knees have been happy ever since.

Joel
05-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Long time user.

Love 'em.

Have them on both geared and fixed gear bikes.

I keep the float at almost zero.

But I'm weird.

mgm777
05-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I've been riding Speedplay since 2003. Started out with the X series for a couple of years and then migrated to Zeros about 6 years ago. Love the adjustable float. Never had a problem with an unintentional release. Double sided and very easy to clip in. I install new cleats every year. They work for me.

1happygirl
05-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I took my wife to an orthopedic doc last week. It turns out that he rides quite a bit and Speedplay is the only pedal he can use. I asked if all cyclists should ride Speedplay and he said no, but that is what works for me.

Hey cool. I went also long ago and was told NO NO NO never. Looks baby.
wonder if it's a woman thang?

Red cleat looks esp. Speedplay would've wrecked me knees.

jroden
05-23-2011, 07:42 PM
I haVE USED THEM FOR 10 YEARS, THEY oops are good quality and last pretty well, i like the unlimited float.

if you walk around in mud or snow, the cleats can get fouled to the point where they are difficult of impossible to engage without taking them apart. I use different pedals in the winter for this reason.

Prior to this i used looks and found that when i replaced the cleats i had to get them just so or my knees would act up. no issues w/ speedplay

xjoex
05-23-2011, 07:47 PM
My wife rides speedplay frogs. She is an ultra runner and is concerned for her knees. No problems with the frogs.

-Joe

Elefantino
05-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Me: X-2 pedals since 1999.

Wife: X-2 pedals since 2009.

rounder
05-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I have been riding X2s for about 15 years. The original pair is on my red bike and I bought a new pair for my Bedford. I change cleats every few years and never experienced any problems. They are basic and they last. I like stuff that you do not have to think about. I had a few pairs of Times before that and liked them but like the Speedplays more.

wooly
05-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Yep, like everyone else, I've used them (zeros) for a really long time.

bicycletricycle
05-23-2011, 08:12 PM
if you are into and or want to be into a lot of float both in quantity (degrees and quality (free, non-centering) then speedplays might be your thing.

I have had them and have had many customers who paid me to maintain them. Here are the down sides- (IMHO)

1. speed plays go through bearings much quicker than shimano and looks
2. speed play cleats are expensive and slippery and fragile and mess up floors and need maintenance.
3. speed play pedals have less platform, the cleats are big but only the area that contacts the pedal transfers force effectively making these the pedals with the smallest platform area (i think).

rice rocket
05-23-2011, 08:25 PM
3. speed play pedals have less platform, the cleats are big but only the area that contacts the pedal transfers force effectively making these the pedals with the smallest platform area (i think).

Yeah, I never understood how Speedplay claimed to have the biggest shoe contact area, but then chose a tiny lollipop mating surface. They could make the cleat as big as the entire shoe sole for all I care, but when your mating surface is a postage stamp, all your forces go through that little square and it's gonna flex.

Add cliché about being the system only being as strong as it's weakest link.

I haVE USED THEM FOR 10 YEARS, THEY oops are good quality and last pretty well, i like the unlimited float.

Unlimited float? How do you unclip? ;)

Ken Robb
05-23-2011, 09:53 PM
When I used these pedals I had Carnac shoes with carbon soles that were so rigid that I had no sense of the size of the contact area with the pedals.

jbrainin
05-23-2011, 11:38 PM
if you are into and or want to be into a lot of float both in quantity (degrees and quality (free, non-centering) then speedplays might be your thing.
Or if you like being able to easily and quickly engage your pedals.

I have had them and have had many customers who paid me to maintain them. Here are the down sides- (IMHO)

I've ridden more than 30000 miles on Speedplay x1's with no bearing issues. That's anywhere from 3 -6 (or more) years of riding for many people. Bearings don't seem like much of an issue given that longevity.

2. speed play cleats are expensive and slippery and fragile and mess up floors and need maintenance.
Use of cleat covers renders these issues moot (and largely mute, too.) Maintenance? Lube them once every few weeks.

Well, there's always Bebops… and as Ken mentioned, use of shoes with stiff carbon soles alleviates issues that might arise possibly arise with this. Then again, I rode across the US wearing a pair of Sidi Genius 3's and had no feet issues whatsoever while riding 100 miles a day for 34 days.

gianni
05-23-2011, 11:55 PM
I have been using the X series since '96 and love them! I have very sensitive knees and love the free float. I think they are absolutely the best system out there.

I agree with a lot of the advice regarding cleat maintenance and wear. However, I have noticed one shortcoming with the pedal. If you have a wide stance, you can actually crush the nylon bearing surface on the outside of the pedal (underneath the wire cleat spring). As the bearing failure worsens, your shoe will want to roll to the outside and you may experience some knee pain.

That said, I am in the process of replacing a pair of pedals for that very reason. I understand that you can rebuild the pedal but with the new cleats included and time constraints, I going with two new pair of X2 stainless.

Love the pedals, buy 'em!

cheers,

radsmd
05-24-2011, 01:17 AM
X series for the road, but considering switching over to the zero's, which are more adjustable and supposedly the cleats should wear better. Frogs for off road. Love the pedals.

jpw
05-24-2011, 04:06 AM
First started using them in 1993. They were pretty good. Stopped using them around 2005. The cleats are too big and not robust, with relatively expensive replacement parts. I didn't like the company's attitude on several issues. I voted with my feet and walked.

Bob Ross
05-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Been using Speedplay Frogs for the past 5 or 6 years and I'm trying to imagine what would ever make me want to change...hmmm...nope, can't think of anything.

Birddog
05-24-2011, 06:14 AM
I've been using the X series for at least 15 years but then I also have some Rapha jerseys and bibs so where does that leave me?

davidlee
05-24-2011, 06:17 AM
I used Zero's for 6 years or so.. I would get hotspots from time to time and as the pedal body will wear, you get a lateral rocking of the foot on the spindle.
Ride behind anyone who has a high mileage set, watch their feet and you will see what I mean.
I went to Dura Ace pedals and have never looked back. I do miss the double sided entry but that's about it
:beer:

AngryScientist
05-24-2011, 06:21 AM
Here are the down sides- (IMHO)

i respectfully disagree with 1 and 2, have no opinion on 3.

with regard to the cleats, i dont know why anyone says they are more fragile, the base plate that would actually contact the ground when walking is metal, which i've found to be much more durable than walking in plastic look typed cleats. they are, however, slippery as all get-down when it's wet out.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2011, 07:41 AM

Thanks.

Used Campagnolo, then Look, then Campagnolo Profit, tried Zeros, have had them for about a decade. Easy in and out(2 sided), the most adjustable cleat there is, the most easily maintained pedal there is and if you fall and kill one pedal, you can buy a single.

Great pedal system.

Elefantino
05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
And they make you faster. :D

SteveV0983
05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
I had been using Looks for 22 years and switched to Speedplay Zeros last year. I cannot believe I waited that long. I absolutely love these pedals! First of all, mounting them is a breeze because your for-aft, your left-right, and your rotation are 3 separate settings. You simply mount the base plates where you want them fore-aft, then you mount the cleat bodies where you want them left-right, and then the float takes care of the rotation. No more fiddling with oversized rectangular holes and washers trying to get the Look delta cleat "as close as possible" to where it should be. The double sided entry is great and I love the rotational float.
As far as maintenance is concerned, I use the coffee shop covers whenever I am off the bike, so wear and walkability is not an issue. I guess I could be considered going "overkill" with the maintenance, but before each ride or two I give them a shot of Blaster Dry Lube ($4 at Home Depot) and it takes all of about...10 seconds. The Speedplay SP lube is also very good and cheap ($6 a bottle). So the "you have to take care of them, blah, blah, blah" is a ridiculous argument. Never had them get gunked up, never unclipped by accident, and don’t even need to look down at an intersection to clip back in. I also never had a bolt loosen up and they are as solid and secure as the day I first put them on. And if you want zero float, you can run them that way also. I used Specialized BG Pro shoes with a stiff carbon sole and have had no problems with hot spots.
Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

bicycletricycle
05-24-2011, 08:40 AM
I've ridden more than 30000 miles on Speedplay x1's with no bearing issues. That's anywhere from 3 -6 (or more) years of riding for many people. Bearings don't seem like much of an issue given that longevity.

I am glad you have had good luck, as a long time mechanic i have rebuilt/replaced bearings in speed plays more than any other pedal. It is pretty easy and not terribly expensive so it is not the biggest deal in the world but in my experience still noticeable.

Use of cleat covers renders these issues moot (and largely mute, too.) Maintenance? Lube them once every few weeks.

Cleat covers suck to carry and put on any time you want to walk around, my pockets are already over stuffed with bananas and cell phones and patch kits and the like.

Well, there's always Bebops… and as Ken mentioned, use of shoes with stiff carbon soles alleviates issues that might arise possibly arise with this. Then again, I rode across the US wearing a pair of Sidi Genius 3's and had no feet issues whatsoever while riding 100 miles a day for 34 days.

stiff shoes are a big help and may eliminate the platform issue all together if one is only considering hot spots. The smaller width of engagement also leads so increased side to side rocking especially when the cleats and pedals get worn.

deechee
05-24-2011, 09:42 AM
I had speedplay zeros on my first road bike. I thought they were fine, and although I had experienced hot spots, it had probably more to do with my sidis and my lousy technique.

The only downside I had with speedplays was getting mud into the cleats. Man, once you get those things dirty, its impossible to clip in. Worse, once I got in, I couldn't clip back out.

I ride spd-sl now. I love 'em. Sure, I miss the double sided lolipops but the shimanos are cheap. The pedals are cheap so I can have them on my beater, and I have cleats on all my shoes. (Road, tri, commuter etc.)

thwart
05-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Been using Speedplay Frogs for the past 5 or 6 years and I'm trying to imagine what would ever make me want to change...hmmm...nope, can't think of anything.Yup, completely agree. Float + double-sided clip in + normal walking + all-weather capability. Lube 'em once or twice a year (takes all of 3 minutes, 'bout as quick as wiping down your chain).

If someone thinks they're dorky-looking on a road bike... well, good for you. I'll keep riding 'em.

torquer
05-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I've been on X-2s since the 90's. So what? They work for me, but you won't know until you try them.

A few words of caution:
I believe the Ti models have a rider weight limit.
The weight savings of the Ti models vs. the stainless ones isn't that great, considering the extra cost.
The cleats are pricey, and tend to get clogged if you need to walk through any snow, soft dirt or mud.

But, those disadvantages (really only the last one, since I haven't been tempted much by the Ti models) have not been enough for me to change pedal systems on the five bikes I've aquired since starting with Speedplay.

John H.
05-24-2011, 10:30 AM
If you hated them years ago, you will still hate them.
Newer model limits float- but you still get the same unstable rock.
don't drink the Koolaid- ride Shimano, they are pretty much perfect.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2011, 10:57 AM
If you hated them years ago, you will still hate them.
Newer model limits float- but you still get the same unstable rock.
don't drink the Koolaid- ride Shimano, they are pretty much perfect.

If you hated X series, you won't like X series.

Zeros are completely different, 'unstable rock'? This is a mystery to me. Something you read on a forum? Or have you tried Zeros and had this 'rocking'? I have no rocking at all.

shimano aren't bad but just rehashed Look pedals. If ya hated Look years ago, you will hate shimano spd-sl.

Ahneida Ride
05-24-2011, 11:01 AM
I have the Frogs ... I like em a lot. Love the float.

John H.
05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Rode them for about 6 months last year while I was trying to find ideal spindle length. In the end I loved wider spindles but hated the pedals.
They rock all over the place, cleats wear out quickly, etc. I really wanted to like them- I just didn't.
OP said that he did not like Speedplays before- I did not like them before either. Trying to save him some grief.
I think they can work well for some riders. Ones with very efficiant pedal strokes and neutral feet and legs. The kind of rider that does not produce much motion regardless of pedal.

If you hated X series, you won't like X series.

Zeros are completely different, 'unstable rock'? This is a mystery to me. Something you read on a forum? Or have you tried Zeros and had this 'rocking'? I have no rocking at all.

shimano aren't bad but just rehashed Look pedals. If ya hated Look years ago, you will hate shimano spd-sl.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Rode them for about 6 months last year while I was trying to find ideal spindle length. In the end I loved wider spindles but hated the pedals.
They rock all over the place, cleats wear out quickly, etc. I really wanted to like them- I just didn't.
OP said that he did not like Speedplays before- I did not like them before either. Trying to save him some grief.
I think they can work well for some riders. Ones with very efficiant pedal strokes and neutral feet and legs. The kind of rider that does not produce much motion regardless of pedal.

Good response rather than the 'whatareyasthinkinDA', and the koolaide stuff. That just seemed like it was coming from a shimano salesman.

John H.
05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
FWIW I don't ride Shimano now (Ride Look Keo2Max with custom wider spindles).
But if I could get a set with the wide spindles like Cav has?
I just think the Shimano is a high quality no nonsense pedal. Pretty much everyone that rides them likes them. Big Platform, Cleats last, bearings last...

Good response rather than the 'whatareyasthinkinDA', and the koolaide stuff. That just seemed like it was coming from a shimano salesman.

BdaGhisallo
05-24-2011, 11:41 AM
I have always wanted to love the Speedplay Zero. On paper it looks great. The fantastic adjustability options allied with the ability to adjust the major parameters without affecting the adjustment of the others is great. The possibility of adjusting the float infinitely between 15 and 0 degrees of float can't be beat for versatility. Add in the fact that the float on each pedal can be made different in that infinite range is something that no other pedal design offers. I also like how the float rotates the shoe about the ball of the foot and is not heel or toe based. Also, factor in the many options for spindle length and material, and you have a pedal with more options offered than any other.

But then I ride them for a while. I must not have great pedalling mechanics (well I don't - hence the draw of the Sp Zeros) but I get the dreaded cleat rock on every set that I have tried. I recently had rock on a brand new pair of track Zeros right out of the box! New cleats too! This is a major failing, imo. SP know it's a problem since they suggest ways to eliminate it. I think the size of the pedal and, therefore, the area over which the pedalling force is transmitted is too damn small. If they made the bodies 10mm greater in diameter, that might go a good way to eliminating the issues. The cleat fouling problem is also an issue that no other pedals seem to have, and they ain't the easiest to walk in.

SPD-SL pedals have been my default pedal since they were released in late 2002. The cleat pedal interface is large and rock solid. I even used to run the tension backed way off (more than Shimano say is okay) to get a tiny bit of float with the red cleats, and I never had a problem with unintended release - never even felt insecurely held in the pedals. The cleats last forever and still engage very well even when well mangled and worn, and they are super easy and safe to walk on, to boot. The Shimano bearings are superior to any other brand and the pedals simply last and last, with no degredation in performance.

Every so often I get tempted in by the features of the SP Zeros and after a few rides, I always bolt the spd-sl pedals back on. I should just save this post and read it to myself every so often!

avalonracing
05-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Since people are admitting that it IS their biomechanics or pedal stroke we should stop saying that Speedplay pedals rock and just say that some riders rock in their Speedplays due to their pedaling style.

Saying that Speedplays rock is kind of like saying that your track pedals rock when your straps aren't tightened.

Hawker
05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Been riding them for about ten years or so and really like them.

However, as someone earlier said, when you get dirt in them from walking around, getting back into the pedal and more importantly getting out is a REAL problem. Even cleaning them with cleaner and tools takes a while and you have to really clean the cleat and the pedal. I only ride one event every couple of years in which I do that kind of walking but after two horrible experiences walking in sandy soil I will now buy cleat covers.

Actually kind of funny, riding into a parking lot with about a hundred other cyclists and neither of your feet will budge from the pedals. I'll spare you the carnage.

DRZRM
05-24-2011, 11:58 AM
I've been on X-2 since the mid to late 90s (maybe before they were called X-2s). They are easy to service, but I've not had to do that much. You need to lube the contact points in the cleats, but I do that much less frequently than I lube my chain, and it takes just a couple of seconds. Pedal service is pretty easy.

I just switched to the Lake CX 330 carbon shoes (from Sidi) drilled for Speedplays, and love the improved interface. The plate that goes from 4 holes to three is removed, bringing you closer to the pedal by a few mms, and it feels much stiffer, though that may just be because I'm going to a carbon sole for the first time.

If you walk in the snow and mud (or just if you walk much at all during your rides) these are not the cleats for you. They are very slippery. That's why I keep Eggbeaters on the cx and mtb.

Just to be clear, you wore out a pair of cleats is 6 months? Or is wear just that the metal bottoms looks ugly? Did you ever lube the engaging wire. I put a drop of lube in there every few week (ok months) and I've never had a pedal last less that a season, realistically I think I generally replace them every couple of years.

I've never had my pedal rock at all. Not even sure what you mean, sure you had your cleats tight enough?

Len J
05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Been using s-2's for 10 years or so.

Cleat covers if you are going to be walking alleviate the getting them clogged.

2 sided entry is great

Never had the rocking issue.

Bearings have never needed replacement & one of my bikes has the original 10 YO spindles on them 3 to 5K miles per year spread over 4 bikes

The only rpelacement I've had to do is the cleat face plate and spring about once every 10K miles or so.

I moved from Looks and never looked back.

Len

RPS
05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I never understood how Speedplay claimed to have the biggest shoe contact area, but then chose a tiny lollipop mating surface. They could make the cleat as big as the entire shoe sole for all I care, but when your mating surface is a postage stamp, all your forces go through that little square and it's gonna flex.

I'm not sure about "flex" being much of an issue.

I think it’s important to differentiate between platform size and stability when transferring pedaling forces. Very stiff shoes would in theory eliminate all concentrated forces to the feet which may cause hot spots or other problems, but in practice they don’t always do so because many issues are not really about flex when cleats are used with high quality shoes. My personal opinion is that riders’ feet have to work differently to stabilize a pedal system that doesn’t provide inherent stability, which leads to fatigue and soreness over time. IMO the size of the platform in itself is next to irrelevant as it affects flex when shoes are stiff. I think most problems are due to differences in rider biomechanical requirements and not shoe flex.

dd74
05-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Float isn't my concern. In fact, I would like to avoid it as much as possible.

This is a huge concern of mine.

Ti Designs
05-24-2011, 12:40 PM
FWIW I don't ride Shimano now (Ride Look Keo2Max with custom wider spindles). But if I could get a set with the wide spindles like Cav has? I just think the Shimano is a high quality no nonsense pedal. Pretty much everyone that rides them likes them. Big Platform, Cleats last, bearings last...

You can take the spindles out of a set of M540's and install them in Ultegra pedals, giving you 1cm more q-factor. I've had to do this a number of times with cases of severe tibial twist.

And now, on to the bigger question - Speedplays or no? First, let's get our definitions straight. FLoat means rotation with lateral movement. As Speedplays have a single point pivot, they only have rotation. Is rotation good for knees/hips/ankles? Maybe. Free play in one point of pivot reduces the force at another, but can also put more strain on the limits or, in the case of the human body, the connective tissue. When I have a client in rehab from knee or hip surgery I'll put them on Keo Easy pedals with black (non rotational) cleats.

In fitting, I use Speedplay pedals to make up differences between where the foot wants to go and where the crank wants to go. For example, with a femur length difference large enough to require a difference in crank lengths, I've used Speedplay 100%. There are also some cases where I need zeros to be able to control both rotation and release points. The few midsole cleats I've mounted (fused ankle) had to be Zeros.

Biomechanics isn't something you can generalize, it's like saying "I use a Fizik saddle, so it must be comfortable [for you]". My shop sells Shimano, Look and Speedplay pedals (we also sell Time, but there have been too many generations and too many failures for me to sell them). I like SHimano SPD-SL for rock solid stability, but what if your femurs splay out by 15 degrees? Stability to some degree goes with alignment. If you can't get both it works against you.

dd74
05-24-2011, 12:49 PM
If this is true, does it mean the cleats used with Shimano pedals will work with Look pedals? How about Campy pedals? Will Shimano and Look cleats work with Campy pedals?

oldpotatoe
05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
If this is true, does it mean the cleats used with Shimano pedals will work with Look pedals? How about Campy pedals? Will Shimano and Look cleats work with Campy pedals?

No, no, no...

each have a unique albeit similar, cleat. Keo cleats don't work with older Look pedals either even tho the pedal is essentially the same, as how it works.

dd74
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Okay.

Interesting, the Speedplay rep did mention that carbon-soled shoes do enhance the surface stability of the pedal.

Rocking - that was something I forgot about with Speedplays. I remember they rocked quite a bit when I rode them 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have a smooth pedaling style.

Lionel
05-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Like many others, been using X/2 since 96. I have 8 pairs and they work great.

In 98 or so, I tried Time and liked them but my knees did not.

Too much invested to look for anything else right now. :)

For me they just plain work.

tooonee
05-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Never have used them. Sure the double sided clip in configuration is a plus but I have seen 3 friends end up stuck in them and fall over. Also saw a guy on another forum who walked in a little mud said he cleaned it as well as possible but it ended up seizing on the way home and he had to put it in between a wall and pole and rip the bike away from the shoe for it to finally unclip.

I've never had a problem with KEO's or my Shimano's but everyone is there own person. Worse you could do is try and dislike em. Just try unclipping ahead of time just in case :].

bironi
05-25-2011, 01:17 AM
started out with some of the first x-series, used the road pedals for many years, but about 5 years ago switched all my bikes to Frogs. Same advantages with easy walking. :beer:

mgm777
05-25-2011, 01:43 AM
Zeros exclusively for 6+ years, 5K miles/year.
-Never experienced "rocking"
-Never experienced hot-spots due to small platform size - my foot is a Sidi size 45
-Never had an unintentional release
-I perform minimal maintenance - apply lube 2x per season
-I've had my cleats clog-up with mud and grass two times in six years - situation was remedied by using a scrap of newpaper to clean it out...worked fine until I got home and did a more thorough cleaning
-I don't normally walk around in my bike shoes, so the cleat clogging issue is rare.
-Easy entry/exit - I tried Shimano, but didn't like the twisting feeling on my knees to exit
-Zeros just work.
-Zeros are different than X series