PDA

View Full Version : Please Read If You Don't Carry ID !

BumpyintheBurgh
06-17-2005, 12:27 PM
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/05168/523359.stm

Police seek help identifying injured bicyclist
Friday, June 17, 2005

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh police are requesting help from the public to identify a man critically injured in an accident last night.

The accident happened just after 8 p.m. in the 1900 block of Beechwood Boulevard in Squirrel Hill. Witnesses said the man ran over a tree branch, flew over the handlebars and hit his head on a curb.

The man carried no identification. He is in critical condition in UPMC Presbyterian and is unable to speak, police said in a news release.

The bicycle is a silver Allez Elite with a black tool bag under the seat and a plastic water bottle attached. He was wearing a black Giro helmet.

The man is white, apparently in his 30s, about 6-feet-3 and 295 to 325 pounds. He has dark hair and was wearing black shorts.

Anyone with information should call 911 or Zone 4 at 412-422-6520.

vaxn8r
06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I guess this settles the helmet debate.

Bruce K
06-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Not even close to settling the helmet debate, but that is another issue.

www.roadid.com makes a couple of good products for ID.

Also your local Army-Navy store that makes dog tags is another solution.

Like the old AmEx ads used to say: "Don't leave home without it."

BK

vaxn8r
06-21-2005, 12:27 PM

Heh...

I wondered why no one else bit on that. Helmet fatigue likely...

Bruce K
06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
vax;

I'm not looking to start a big deabte on this issue. We've probably beat it to death several times. But coming from a motorsports background helmets are very important to my way of thinking.

We all know that bike helmets are no where near the same thing, nor would we be willing to deal with the weight, etc. as those used in motorcycling or auto racing.

They are still better than nothing in the majority of instances but they are not a cure-all.

Now not carrying ID is downright silly. So easy to do, so awful if we don't and something happens.

Dogtags are probably $5.00 at the Army-Navy store. Not pretty. Not elegant. But better than people not knowing who you are if something happens.

BK

92degrees
06-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I just throw my driver's license and health ins card on the copy machine and keep copies in my bags?

vaxn8r
06-21-2005, 01:14 PM
vax;

I'm not looking to start a big deabte on this issue. We've probably beat it to death several times. But coming from a motorsports background helmets are very important to my way of thinking.

We all know that bike helmets are no where near the same thing, nor would we be willing to deal with the weight, etc. as those used in motorcycling or auto racing.

They are still better than nothing in the majority of instances but they are not a cure-all.

Now not carrying ID is downright silly. So easy to do, so awful if we don't and something happens.

Dogtags are probably $5.00 at the Army-Navy store. Not pretty. Not elegant. But better than people not knowing who you are if something happens.

BKYou don't have to convince me. I marvel that it's even an issue.

george
06-22-2005, 02:25 AM
I take about $30 and my drivers licence for ID. Once my chain broke 7 miles from home I could not fix it so I had cab fare.

davids
06-22-2005, 08:48 AM

www.roadid.com makes a couple of good products for ID.

Also your local Army-Navy store that makes dog tags is another solution.

Like the old AmEx ads used to say: "Don't leave home without it."

BK
Either of these is a good solution. Carrying ID inside a bag is not - It's my understanding that EMTs and other emergency workers are not permitted to start digging around in a victim's belongings as they respond to an accident.

My wife and I both got the Road IDs a few months back, and I'm becoming religious about wearing the wristband. I leave it velcro'd around the stem after every ride so I don't forget it. It's got my name, contact info, and a couple basic medical facts.

$20 (or $25 for their dogtag) for major peace of mind!

SGP
06-22-2005, 11:39 AM
there is a machine at the front of petco where for >$3 you can get engraved dog tags made up right then & there. you can even get one shaped like a dog bone if you want. i just clip mine to my jersey zipper pull.

BURCH
06-22-2005, 01:09 PM
I carry about $20, ID, and a Credit Card.
Never thought about the copy of the insurance card though.

Dekonick
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=davids]Either of these is a good solution. Carrying ID inside a bag is not - It's my understanding that EMTs and other emergency workers are not permitted to start digging around in a victim's belongings as they respond to an accident.

Yes - they can and do. (as long as the patient is unresponsive it is deemed implied consent) It is common practice to go into a wallet to get ID and look for medical information (cards etc...) - usualy with PD present, but often done before they arrive on scene. Worst case they should transport a wallet / purse - etc... to the ER and give it to ER staff.

The question is WILL THEY?

To a non cyclist, a bag under the saddle may easily go un-noticed. I always carry a photocopy of my ID (laminated too) in my bag, and tape a copy inside my helmet as well. (Hmmm - need to do that to all of my helmets! Just realized I only have one with ID stuck inside...OOPS!

Inside the helmet is easy, just cut the ID to fit and use clear packing tape. Put tape over ID and voila - ID that should be found (EMT's will look at a helmet to get an idea of injury potential and should transport the helmet to the ED for MD's to take a peek as well.)

Loving being a new dad!

Missing my Bike. Perhaps Ill ride again one day... when the lil tyke is a month or two older... :D

vaxn8r
06-23-2005, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=davids]Loving being a new dad!

Missing my Bike. Perhaps Ill ride again one day... when the lil tyke is a month or two older... :D
Don't feel guilty at all. You're doing what a Dad needs to do. With every one of my kids my riding went into the tank for about a year.

William
06-23-2005, 05:25 AM
there is a machine at the front of petco where for >$3 you can get engraved dog tags made up right then & there. you can even get one shaped like a dog bone if you want. i just clip mine to my jersey zipper pull.

I bought those for Rhea Basset not to long ago. Didn't even occur to me to use them in that fashion. Good thinking SGP! :cool:

William