PDA

View Full Version : RAAM 24 Hour Training/with updated video links

troymac
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Our RAAM team, Team R4M that I crew for did a 24 training ride this last weekend. We covered 435 miles as a team. Here is a link to a video of some the miles we covered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oawHj54d6eU&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7ROei9CTg&sns=em

www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2110660528886

TimmyB
05-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Do you have the video uploaded anywhere else? No facebook = can't see.

In any case, good luck to your team! RAAM looks gnarly.

AngryScientist
05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
i'm with Timmy, i'm anti-facebook.

anyway, sounds like a nice accomplishment, keep up the good work!

MattTuck
05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm logged in, but can't see it due to privacy settings.

"This video either has been removed from Facebook or is not visible due to privacy settings."

troymac
05-23-2011, 05:58 PM
I'll get the video to upload to you tube or vimeo. Sorry guys I'm new on this Facebook thing but will get it changed.In the meantime here is the link to our website which may post video soon too.
http://www.raceforamission.com/

dekindy
05-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Our RAAM team, Team R4M that I crew for did a 24 training ride this last weekend. We covered 435 miles as a team. Here is a link to a video of some the miles we covered.
www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2110660528886

A strong, young solo rider could do 435 miles in 24 hours. I am not sure what your point is. In fact, unless they changed it the solo qualifying distances are 400 and 425 miles in 24 hours. What is your team's average age?

troymac
05-23-2011, 06:21 PM
A strong, young solo rider could do 435 miles in 24 hours. I am not sure what your point is. In fact, unless they changed it the solo qualifying distances are 400 and 425 miles in 24 hours. What is your team's average age?

This was more informational than stating how fast we covered the ground. Our goal as a team has been to average 20 mph for the race. As for team ages we have a 26 year old 1 at 39 another at 40 and 1 at 56. But out primary goal is to raise funds for clean water hunger and education.

gasman
05-23-2011, 06:23 PM

Wasn't it a training ride ? They may have been just making sure the logistics work.

troymac
05-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Wasn't it a training ride ? They may have been just making sure the logistics work.
Gas you are correct. Our original goal was 500 miles but we came short do to a late start and photo shoot on the California coast. This was our 3rd training ride.

dekindy
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Gas you are correct. Our original goal was 500 miles but we came short do to a late start and photo shoot on the California coast. This was our 3rd training ride.

I am not trying to be critical, but how does a late start come into play when you said you did 24 hours, did you do 24 hours or not? If you did 435 miles in 20 hours or thereabouts then I would think you were ready. Did you include any mountains or deserts?

What is the minimum average speed required to cover the RAAM distance in the allowed time for 4-person teams?

RAAM is coming up quick so you should be in top form and beginning to taper your training.

dekindy
05-23-2011, 07:11 PM
I guess my frame of reference is mainly the solo teams that are highly competitive and the grueling 24 hour qualification requirement. Teams often have different objectives. There are no minimum requirements for team participants except for tandem teams. Tandem teams are required to have one member that has met the qualifcation standards.

troymac
05-23-2011, 07:18 PM
I am not trying to be critical, but how does a late start come into play when you said you did 24 hours, did you do 24 hours or not? If you did 435 miles in 20 hours or thereabouts then I would think you were ready. Did you include any mountains or deserts?

What is the minimum average speed required to cover the RAAM distance in the allowed time for 4-person teams?

RAAM is coming up quick so you should be in top form and beginning to taper your training.
No problem de yes we did complete 24 as a crew probably more accurate for the riders at 22 to 23. We don't have all the finals on avg. speed. Next time I post for your sake I'll have exact numbers so you can have a more accurate picture of what we did as a team. Yes the team is tapering off. The team also has one a phenomenal coach in Jamie Whitmore who still holds the record for most triathlons won by anyone and is recovering from cancer.

1happygirl
05-23-2011, 07:23 PM
No problem de yes we did complete 24 as a crew probably more accurate for the riders at 22 to 23. We don't have all the finals on avg. speed. Next time I post for your sake I'll have exact numbers so you can have a more accurate picture of what we did as a team. Yes the team is tapering off. The team also has one a phenomenal coach in Jamie Whitmore who still holds the record for most triathlons won by anyone and is recovering from cancer.

Dude, awesome. Watched Team 409 dvd again this weekend.Team of 4 riders over 60, came in 4th overall. record for age group. averaged 21-22? I didn't realize until the movie how much a logistical nightmare & undertaking it was. the team was nothing without the support crew. incredible

jlwdm
05-23-2011, 07:23 PM
troymac

I applaud you for your efforts in time and energy to commit to RAAM. RAAM is a major undertaking, but you will reap many rewards and so will your charities.

Don't let the negativity of others affect what you are doing.

I was happy to make a donation on your website and will monitor your team in the race.

Enjoy the adventure.

Jeff

dekindy
05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
I just did a calculation. 3,000 miles in 9 maximum days is 333 minimum miles per day. I thought it was a stiffer requirement than that. Deserts and mountains do take their toll but you are probably okay since you appear to have good coaching.

I will monitor your progress and unless it it the middle of the night will try to be near the Greensburg, IN time station in the block that has the County Courthouse and give you a shout of encouragement. I try to make it down there at least one day, usually when the most solo riders/teams are due to pass through. It is not very exciting since the participants are spaced so far apart at that point and rarely does more than one participant of any category passes through per hour.

troymac
05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
troymac

I applaud you for your efforts in time and energy to commit to RAAM. RAAM is a major undertaking, but you will reap many rewards and so will your charities.

Don't let the negativity of others affect what you are doing.

I was happy to make a donation on your website and will monitor your team in the race.

Enjoy the adventure.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff I and those who will benefit from this truly appreciate it.

dekindy
05-23-2011, 07:36 PM
RAAM as compared to the TDF, there is no comparison. RAAM has deserts, no drafting, is 50% longer, 3x times the climbing, half the time, no resting, ride at night, and no professionals for the most part. I wish that RAAM received more coverage. The only cycling DVD's that I own are from RAAM.

I put RAAM into perspective for Ride Across Indiana (RAIN) riders this way. After RAIN, do 18 more and add 165,000 feet of climbing and deserts and no drafting and 2 hours sleep per day and night riding and you can do solo RAAM.

ultraman6970
05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
HOw many days this takes for a solo rider? 10 days or so??

Solo riders have more time allowed than teams, right??

dekindy
05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
HOw many days this takes for a solo rider? 10 days or so??

Solo riders have more time allowed than teams, right??

Maximum time limit is 9 days for teams and 12 days for solo riders which equals a minimum average of 333 miles per day for teams and 250 miles per day for solo riders based upon the stated 3,000 miles.

ultraman6970
05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Damm... let me see... 15 mph is 150 miles in 10 hours... means like 16 hours pedaling daily at 15 mph... At 52x18 is doable (u can't do long distances with small chainring, it takes forever hehe), the problem is do it every single day... darn!. Would be a good experience and a good way to put some miles... some day i guess :)

troymac
05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Damm... let me see... 15 mph is 150 miles in 10 hours... means like 16 hours pedaling daily at 15 mph... At 52x18 is doable (u can't do long distances with small chainring, it takes forever hehe), the problem is do it every single day... darn!. Would be a good experience and a good way to put some miles... some day i guess :)
Yes it's very tough as a soloist. Less than 200 have ever completed (solo or tandem) in RAAM s 30 year history. The highest average speed is less than 17 mph. A good movie to see is Bicycle Dreams it gives you a great sense of the race and it's difficulties.

1happygirl
05-24-2011, 02:24 AM
I think the Team 409 in 2009 when they broke records was like 6 days and something?

Tom
05-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Hey - anybody that says it's easy, see you in Wilmington, New York on September 16th.

ultraman6970
05-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I said is doable, never said it was easy. Obviously for a solo like this you must have a bunch of miles inside already and pick the right gears. We used to do something like this while summer going to the beach, 200 miles or 250 miles in two rounds, but since it was too much distance we had to use 53 even 54x18/19 or 17 in flats to keep the pace decently good and light at the same time. Well we had 16 y/o too.

One day i guess...

dekindy
05-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes it's very tough as a soloist. Less than 200 have ever completed (solo or tandem) in RAAM s 30 year history. The highest average speed is less than 17 mph. A good movie to see is Bicycle Dreams it gives you a great sense of the race and it's difficulties.

15.4 - Pete Penseyres - 1986

BCS
05-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I said is doable, never said it was easy. Obviously for a solo like this you must have a bunch of miles inside already and pick the right gears. We used to do something like this while summer going to the beach, 200 miles or 250 miles in two rounds, but since it was too much distance we had to use 53 even 54x18/19 or 17 in flats to keep the pace decently good and light at the same time. Well we had 16 y/o too.

One day i guess...
hmmmm. It is far from a beach ride with some serious climbing. Unless you have significant ultra endurance experience, maybe you do, RAAM is incomprehensible based on the sleep deprivation alone.

ultraman6970
05-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I totally understand that, besides those 300 kms rides in two days when i was a kid i've never done stuff like that again, in a day probably but every single day i can't even imagine it. Darn!

znfdl
05-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Troymac, enjoy the experience as much as you can. In 2008, I was a memebr of the 4 person RAAM team and it was one the best and worst cycling experiences of my life.

Sounds like you guys have a good crew and team. The crew will make or break your ride. My team's crew chief almost broke the ride.

What is your website?

Thanks.

dekindy
05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
What is your website?

Thanks.

See #5. It is an impressive team.

troymac
05-24-2011, 03:05 PM
See #5. It is an impressive team.
Thanks for the compliment. I believe we have a great team and am grateful to be part of such a great cause. Once again thanks.
Troy

dekindy
05-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I was formerly a member of the local Rotary Club that had as it's goal to drill 100 new water wells in Sierre Leone. One Rotary Member was the pastor of a local Church and they started a project to purchase an additional water drilling unit. Between his Church and an anonymous and very large donation from someone that heard about the project, they accomplished the goal. Rotary International is completing a decades long project of erradicating polio from the planet through it's worldwide vaccination program and in conjunction with the WHO and most recently the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has provided financial support in a huge way. Rotary International's next big thing is to bring a daily source of reliable, clean drinking water to the 1.2 billion people on the planet that do not have this necessity of life. Thus the source of the local club's goal and they were on target to make or surpass this goal by the end of June 2011.

troymac
05-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Our R4M team leader Doug Reid is putting together a new video format for our training ride this last weekend. Should be up soon will post link as it becomes available. Continue to follow us on the website as it may populate there before I can post. http://www.raceforamission.com/index.shtml

Also check out an article on another local RAAM team. Team SacPD. An incredibly noble cause for a public servant. Great guys as we have meet them through our getting prepared for our own RAAM race.
http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/50821/Team_SacPD_and_the_Race_Across_America?utm_source= EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=WeeklyNewsletter_May24+Campaign

dekindy
05-25-2011, 06:08 AM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1970036981227&oid=125494387511677&comments&ref=mfbelieve

roguedog
05-25-2011, 09:08 AM
wow. impressive. have a great run.

just finished taking a look at the pix from the 24 hour run. looks good and official (with the team rv).

go sac riders! (aggie alum here)

troymac
06-09-2011, 02:25 AM
We just got the numbers from our Gala on June 3 and we raised another $31,000 for clean water, hunger and education. Visit our site http://www.raceforamission.com/index.shtml
during the RAAM race as we will have live updates via satelitte. :hello: