PDA

View Full Version : Help: Look KG186 rear brake mount

dvancleve
05-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Howdy folks. I picked up a pretty clean KG186 on craigslist a while back and just noticed today that the rear brake mounting hole is larger than normal. The head of a regular brake allen nut fits right through the hole. It doesn't look like it has been molested, but clearly something is going on (or some kind of bushing/spacer is missing). Anybody know how it's supposed to work? I can cobble something together, but I'd like to know how it should be before I do that...

Thanks, Doug

zap
05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Look supplied a nut (& washer?) for the rear brake. I suspect the goal was to provide a nut with a larger surface area so that the carbon wouldn't snap.

I would go to a hardware store and find a metric nut and washer. Smooth side of washer touching frame.

dvancleve
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks zap :)

So is the hole supposed to be oversized or has mine been drilled? I am thinking a piece of plastic tubing that fits over the bolt and is a bit long would compress and keep it centered in the oversize hole, then a washer/washers in back that keep the top hat nut from going into the hole would work (or a plain nyloc nut) and probably be easy to source...

Doug

Look supplied a nut (& washer?) for the rear brake. I suspect the goal was to provide a nut with a larger surface area so that the carbon wouldn't snap.

I would go to a hardware store and find a metric nut and washer. Smooth side of washer touching frame.

zap
05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Now you made me look for my Look frameset manual and I found it.

The hole is oversized as the nut is not just a nut in that additional round extension goes in the oversized hole. There is a washer as well.

I would call Look USA and see if they have that part.

dvancleve
05-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks again zap. I sent them an email, if that doesn't garner a helpful response I'll try calling...

Doug