PDA

View Full Version : OT?: Registered Rider Tag Holder Idea

dekindy
05-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Are you like me and dread the time at an organized ride when you receive your rider number and 4 safety pins to use to attach your number to your jersey?

I really hate this. It is a pain for me to determine exactly where I want to poke a hole in my jersey and to get the jersey laid out so that I can attach the number so it lays flat. And I hate that the rider number flaps in the wind. On a ride Saturday this past Saturday they only gave us two pins. One of my buddies when back immediately before the ride start to get a couple more pins and they did not have any. I believe they did offer him tape which he declined.

Does anybody else see this as a problem or is it just me? I think there has to be a better way to attach a rider number to a jersey and am thinking about designing and marketing a product to do that. Wouldn't it be nice to receive your number in an easy to attach product that just clips or slides into your jersey pocket? I am not sure if I could market this individually but think that ride promoters might want to hand it out at registration or include it in a Swag bag. Riders could reuse it on every organized ride they attend. While not as ambitious as Ray's undertaking with Handlebra, I am hoping to solve a bicycle problem and make some money in the process.

What is your opinion? I have been working on the design in my head over the weekend so I am in the very early stages of developing this idea and wanted some feedback on whether it was worth pursuing.

bzbvh5
05-23-2011, 08:59 AM
I hate to pinhole my jerseys as well. Some people rubberband the number to their camelback. I usually just take the number, fold it up and place it in my jersey pocket just so I can show I paid and they can figure out who I am if I'm in a bad wreck.

To answer your question more directly, I was thinking along the lines of 4 magnets with sticky stuff to attach to the number then 4 magnets for under the jersey. I really haven't thought this through, but that is my first impression.

William
05-23-2011, 09:08 AM
First thing that pops into my head is a bi-fold piece of heavy duty clear vinyl/plastic with a pocket on each side. Make it the width of a jersey pocket and slide a piece of thin but sturdy cardboard in the side that slides into a pocket so it will hold and stay in place. Slip the number into the other side which is hanging out of the pocket. Pocket is still usable, and number clearly visible with no pin holes to poke in your jersey.

Maybe a little clear plastic u-clip to slide over the crease so there is no possibility of accidentally pulling it out when you get something out of that pocket?

William

Birddog
05-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Interesting idea. There hasn't been a whole lot of new devbelopment in the registered participant number tag area. My first thought is a peel and stick adhesive.

rugbysecondrow
05-23-2011, 09:15 AM
For triathlons, I have a number belt which is elastic and uses plastic grommets to secure the number. Honestly though, I would rather just use the pins. My jerseys are not decorative, they have a purpose and that purpose is utility not decoration. I just don't see pinholes as being an issue, especially when swear, grease, mud, road guck etc end up on them.

rugbysecondrow
05-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Interesting idea. There hasn't been a whole lot of new devbelopment in the registered participant number tag area. My first thought is a peel and stick adhesive.

For some races, they have these adhesive numbers which affix to the helmet. Better for the ride/race but leaves residue on the helmet. I have also had the adhesive numbers which affix to the bike, not a solution I like either. If you can use these pin on numbers in a race where full exertion is important, I think a meandering ride is ok.

Maybe you should just have a jersey that is used for organized ride days, that way you only have one that you muck up.

avalonracing
05-23-2011, 09:37 AM
As someone who has put hundreds of pins into jerseys I agree that there are probably better systems to be had. But the advantage to pins is that they always work and are easily available.

I used to keep small pins in my race bag because every now and then a race sign-in person would hand me pins large enough to do organ damage if one sprung open on the course.

While I have to admit that no one likes jamming holes in a newer jersey I do take a little bit of delight thinking of the guy who shows up for an organized ride in his fancy new $200 short sleeve Rapha jersey and is told that he has to puncture it.

Here's a few tips for better application:
-To help with the flapping, crumple the number a few times before you pin it and it won't catch the wind like a sail.

-Have someone else pin the number on for you but when the do lean over to get in a ride position so it is stretched flat

-If you have to pin it yourself lay the jersey flat and stretch it a little bit when pinning it as it will be stretched a bit with it is on.

-Keep a container of small pins (not tiny though as they'll bend with Tyvek numbers and can damage your jersey if the pin is too small). It is also good to have extra because some check-in people thing two pins are enough pins for something with four corners. (if you are really OCD, 7 pins works great).

-Unpin your jersey after an event. Those cheap pins get covered with sweat and can make rust stains in your jersey.

William
05-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I just threw out a suggestion because someone asked. :)

Pinning my jerseys never bothered me. Just for the heck of it I pulled out one of my jerseys from my racing days that I still have and took a look at it. I can see all the places the pins stuck through. I stuck a lot of numbers on those and frankly, I never even noticed until right now. And I still wear that jersey on occasion when I ride.

William

dekindy
05-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Your ideas are along mine. I am going to pursue this by first trying to get an estimate for cost of production and having some prototypes made. Special thanks for pulling the jersey out and observing all the pin holes. More potential marketing ammunition.

I want it to be more than a one-time use, throwaway product but not cost prohibitive. Something easy to use and substantial enough to last.

dekindy
05-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I hate to pinhole my jerseys as well. Some people rubberband the number to their camelback. I usually just take the number, fold it up and place it in my jersey pocket just so I can show I paid and they can figure out who I am if I'm in a bad wreck.

To answer your question more directly, I was thinking along the lines of 4 magnets with sticky stuff to attach to the number then 4 magnets for under the jersey. I really haven't thought this through, but that is my first impression.

My thoughts also although I was wondering if the magnets could be powerful enough to hold it in place but not corrupt credit cards.

MattTuck
05-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Before you spend any money, I'd look at the patents in the space, as I'm sure other people have tried similar things and you don't want to invest your own cash in an area that someone else has rights to.

I think that professionals have an adhesive based system. Check out 3M's 77 Adhesive. It might be a cheaper/simpler solution for you, than designing your own solution.

TimmyB
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
2 pins? Jeeze, I use 7. Never had any problem with numbers flapping in the wind..

Even the races where they've given me 4 pins already attached, if you look hard enough there's always a box of pins off to the side somewhere.

Also, while counterintuitive, DO NOT use the pins through the holes in the corner of the number. Run the pins as you normally would without a hole. Kind of hard to explain on the internets...

While interesting, I think due to the fact that pins are really cheap and easy, you'd be hard-pressed to have any sort of competitive alternative.

Especially considering most racers get new kit every year. I'm more concerned with getting a full season out of kit (no crashes/tears) than a couple tiny holes :rolleyes: .

Nooch
05-23-2011, 12:49 PM
i saw someone at the last TT i did using a spray adhesive of some sort... seemed to work well for him.

FGC
05-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Another key to using pins is to put them through the number twice. It goes in the number, in the jersey, out the jersey, out the number. Four pins, no flapping.

EDS
05-23-2011, 02:58 PM
i saw someone at the last TT i did using a spray adhesive of some sort... seemed to work well for him.

One of my teammates uses the spray adhesive for TTs. It works well but does leave some residue on your skinsuit/jersey.

EDS
05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
2 pins? Jeeze, I use 7. Never had any problem with numbers flapping in the wind..

Even the races where they've given me 4 pins already attached, if you look hard enough there's always a box of pins off to the side somewhere.

Also, while counterintuitive, DO NOT use the pins through the holes in the corner of the number. Run the pins as you normally would without a hole. Kind of hard to explain on the internets...

While interesting, I think due to the fact that pins are really cheap and easy, you'd be hard-pressed to have any sort of competitive alternative.

Especially considering most racers get new kit every year. I'm more concerned with getting a full season out of kit (no crashes/tears) than a couple tiny holes :rolleyes: .

I agree. If you race, pinholes are the least of your problems.

aLexis
05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Have you seen this? I have not tried it, but maybe it is the solution for you.
http://www.grizzygrip.com/info.html

dekindy
05-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Looks promising.

dekindy
05-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Looks promising.