PDA

View Full Version : Tires and resistance from Conti.

zap
06-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Here you go. Another tire study.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2005/features/conti_tech

Too Tall
06-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Cool! Even more reason to like their Tubulars.

Isn't Vectran the stuff Spinergy used for their wierd spokes?

David Kirk
06-17-2005, 09:55 AM
That's cool....thanks for the link.

It makes me wonder...........the fatter tire has a lower rolling resistance but the skinny tire requires less energy at 50kph due to it's smaller frontal area. I wonder at what speed does this balance out? Frankly most of us don't cruise at 50kph ( 31mph). I wonder if the fatter tire is "faster" at 15mph, 18mph, 23mph. This is where most folks spend most of thier time.

Anyone good with math?

Dave

zap
06-17-2005, 10:04 AM
tt-I believe it is.

Time uses it as well in some of their carbon layups.

One thing I find annoying is that this study does not indicate what tub. glue was used or how it was applied. This does affect rolling resistance.

This is the first time I've seen a study showing a tubular tire with lower resistance than a clincher.

I'm tired of tufo tape snot and will make a complete switch from tufo products to velomax and some glue very soon.

Too Tall
06-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Zap, want to be my beta tester for Toyo brand tubular glue?

hypnospin
06-17-2005, 04:00 PM
funny thing, just put on some 25's and along with a cush ride, things just seem easier to roll. could be actual gains from miles though, which for me seem all too subtle. the gains, not the miles...

Here you go. Another tire study.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2005/features/conti_tech

LegendRider
06-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Funny contradiction from the "Inside the Continental tyre factory" article.

Quote 1 - Rolling resistance. The available data seem to favour clinchers by a small margin

Quote 2 - but what clinchers can't do is offer the same comfort, feel, lower rolling resistance and run-flat capability of tubulars.

Sandy
06-17-2005, 08:17 PM
I thought about precisely what you brought up. I also thought that the small aero advantage a 700 x 23 tire has over a 700 x 25 tire must be really insignificant compared to the major difference a rider's position makes relative to wind resistance.

Sandy