PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott for Criteriums.....

lorrod
06-16-2005, 11:41 PM
For all the Ottrott owners, how does the Ottrott ride in criteriums? How's the frame stiffness and cornering feel? Any give during hard sprints, or out-of-corner out-of-the-saddle efforts? Any problems with it? And finally.....gasp....have you crashed it at all, and how did it fare? Any information you could share would be awesome - thanks for your help!

William
06-17-2005, 05:43 AM
For all the Ottrott owners, how does the Ottrott ride in criteriums? How's the frame stiffness and cornering feel? Any give during hard sprints, or out-of-corner out-of-the-saddle efforts? Any problems with it? And finally.....gasp....have you crashed it at all, and how did it fare? Any information you could share would be awesome - thanks for your help!
Are you rich? I personally wouldn't race an Ottrott in a crit unless it was a team bike that was going to be replaced....free-O-charge in the eventual crash that's gonna happen if you race a lot of crits. Cheap, replaceable steel/aluminum is the way to go.
Save the Ottrott for training and rec riding.

Just my $.02. Keep the change. ;)

William :)

blifford
06-17-2005, 08:35 AM
hi,

I have been very pleased with my Ottrott ST's out-of the saddle sprinting and cornering. I haven't raced it yet (but I will eventually), though when sprinting during training rides it has felt really nice and solid.

I don't have nice wheels or particularly rigid wheels on it, either. My bet is that some Ksyrium tubs would sprint like a rocket ship paired with my Ottrott.

Note: I ride a small bike (52cm), so not too many bikes feel mushy to me. But I imagine if you specify that you are going to race crits with it Serotta will beef it up appropriately to your size.

cliffy

I have also entertained the notion of getting some cheap "throwaway frame" for races, as my Ottrott's geometry is very close to "stock"... that way I could crash the cheapo as much as I want without sacrificing the bike I saved up for 5 years to get.

I will say, though, that the better your skills are, the less likely you will destroy your bike, even with other crazy crit riders. I raced for 15 years and have only crashed twice in a race... though I have had a number of close calls. I've actually crashed more in training than racing. So who knows whether it's risky or not to race the Ottrott?

Serotta PETE
06-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Ottrott would be fine in crits - -but I agree with William on cost trade offs.

PETE

Dr. Doofus
06-17-2005, 09:14 AM
race a gunnar

pimp an ottrott

kkasper4
06-17-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm far from an expert on this, but I will relay what my dealer told me when I was getting fitted for my Ottrott. Serotta generallly has their bottom bracket 1 cm lower than most other bikes, giving the bike a very stable feel. If you combine that with longer cranks (I'm a 175), cornering clearance could become an issue. When we discussed the build of my bike, he suggested that if I planned on racing any crits, that I should have the bottom bracket raised to the "typical" height for most frames.

dirtdigger88
06-17-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm far from an expert on this, but I will relay what my dealer told me when I was getting fitted for my Ottrott. Serotta generallly has their bottom bracket 1 cm lower than most other bikes, giving the bike a very stable feel. If you combine that with longer cranks (I'm a 175), cornering clearance could become an issue. When we discussed the build of my bike, he suggested that if I planned on racing any crits, that I should have the bottom bracket raised to the "typical" height for most frames.

I will agree to a point- If I were to build a prue crit bike it would not have a 8cm BB drop- but my Legend does and I can corner and pedal with no problem- I think the bigger issue is that if you race you will crash- YOU WILL!! Even with the owners club- do you want to be with out your bike for several months? Lastly- you had better be damn fast if you are racing an Ottrott- if not you will be labeled a posure-

My personal theory- I race my Lemond for most of my races- However, Friday night- under the lights- Labor Day Weekend- in front of thousands- I will be racing my Legend-

Jason

Smiley
06-17-2005, 10:37 AM
WHY do it :banana:
what the Big Fellow said . Its crazy in those races .

inthegutter
06-17-2005, 10:38 AM
if you are getting the crash replacement, I say it's no big deal to race it in crits.

dirtdigger88
06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
if you are getting the crash replacement, I say it's no big deal to race it in crits.

so you lay the bike down in the first crit of the season- now you dont have your Ottrott for the most of the summer- DUMB-

I can think of a handful of guys who would try to crash someone on an Ottrott just because- crits are like running a NASCAR race- do you know what those cars look like in the end- do you want your bike to look like that?

jason

Richard
06-17-2005, 11:00 AM
With the types of crashes that you all are implying, being without your bike would be the least of your worries. Being able to work or write your name is more worrisome. I've been in my fair share or crits and crashed a few times. I've had more onerous crashes out training, though (probably less concentration). All of my crashes and 99% of the crashes I've witnessed at races or on the road resulted in some scratched/housed equipment, with no or very minor frame damage (scratches). Most of the time not even scratches -- the skewers and bars takeit all. I've got to see the races you go to.

Louis
06-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Friday night- under the lights- Labor Day Weekend- in front of thousands- I will be racing my Legend

Hey Jason,

Are you going to be doing the Maplewood or Webster Groves Crits next weekend?

Louis

Fixed
06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
so you lay the bike down in the first crit of the season- now you dont have your Ottrott for the most of the summer- DUMB-

I can think of a handful of guys who would try to crash someone on an Ottrott just because- crits are like running a NASCAR race- do you know what those cars look like in the end- do you want your bike to look like that?

jason
This guy knows what he's talkin about i.m.h.o.

Dr. Doofus
06-17-2005, 11:48 AM
geeesh...you don't need to raise the bb to 7cm to make it a "crit bike"...all you (generic, not specific, second person, and you too) need to do is take the fast line through the turn, weight the outside foot, and lean the damn thing...and having the nous and nerve to stay in the first ten up to the sprint will mean a lot more than the corners you pedal through....

want a bling-bling crit bike? get a BLE...or an MX....

William
06-17-2005, 11:51 AM

Never had a problem running 180's in crits on my Serotta. You just gotta know when...& when not to pedal. :bike:

I've had more onerous crashes out training, though (probably less concentration). All of my crashes and 99% of the crashes I've witnessed at races or on the road resulted in some scratched/housed equipment, with no or very minor frame damage (scratches). Most of the time not even scratches -- the skewers and bars takeit all. I've got to see the races you go to.

I can only speak for myself, but I've had few crashes in training mode. I've had a number of crit crashes. Mainly people pulling bone head manuvers, fighting for position or loosing it leaving you with no where to go. Your experience may vary, I always liked being up front, duking it out for primes and sprint finishes. People throw elbows, head butt, and dig shoulders in. I've also known a few riders who will hook people on purpose. Add in wet pavement, screwy corners, busted chains & other mechanicals and it's easy for people to go down. My crashes have run the gamut from just scratches to a snapped top tube (with various components in between). The thing is, you never know what's going to happen. It's like wearing a helmet...

"DUCK!!" :eek:

Did I just start something up again???

NE way. I still stand by what I said. It my opinion & I'm sticking too it.

Did you want that change?

William ;) :)

Big Dan
06-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Doctor...when are you getting the FoDo bike????
Please keep us steel freaks updated.................... :D

Richard
06-17-2005, 12:08 PM
William, I guess what is getting lost is that I find it remarkable that there is this fear or thought that the "inevitable" crit crash will put your bike on the shelf for the season. HIGHLY UNLIKELY. More likely is trashed tape, screwed up bars, shifter (though usually just ugly and useable), and a wheel that needs work. That leaves no reason not to race what you like. Why own a race bike if you don't race it? I am sure the Ottrott would make a fine crit bike and if that's what you crave, get it. As far as "crash insurance," the fact that it is offered should be a clue that frames and forks rarely get destroyed. Otherwise it would bankrupt Serotta.

William
06-17-2005, 12:50 PM
William, I guess what is getting lost is that I find it remarkable that there is this fear or thought that the "inevitable" crit crash will put your bike on the shelf for the season. HIGHLY UNLIKELY. More likely is trashed tape, screwed up bars, shifter (though usually just ugly and useable), and a wheel that needs work. That leaves no reason not to race what you like. Why own a race bike if you don't race it? I am sure the Ottrott would make a fine crit bike and if that's what you crave, get it.

Richard,

It's not a fear, it's a $5,000 (or ther abouts)+ frame & fork. I don't have $5+ G's disposable bike income to roll the dice on a crit. Personally, I would think long and hard about seriously crit racing it. Just my feeling. Give me a C-Dale or equiv low cost alum/steely and I won't even bat an eye.

As far as "crash insurance," the fact that it is offered should be a clue that frames and forks rarely get destroyed. Otherwise it would bankrupt Serotta.

It's could also be a clue that not many Serotta/Ottrott owners race?

William

chrisroph
06-17-2005, 12:59 PM
If I had one and felt like racing it, I'd race it. The chance of trashing it in a wreck is miniscule. Its more likely to get stolen, roof racked pulling into your garage, or smashed on your club ride. I worry more about wrecking my body in a crash than my bike. I'm still suffering the effects of a partially torn lateral collateral ligament experienced in a club ride wreck in February. The bike--steel frame and fork--was fine, except for scratched levers, right side pedal and rear drlr.

Richard
06-17-2005, 01:07 PM
"It's could also be a clue that not many Serotta/Ottrott owners race"

True, but I bet they crash in group rides and some of the most serious crashes I've seen were in group rides with riders of diverse skills (especially when someone goes waaaaaay deep to stick to a wheel and just stacks it). And the riders were on the shelf longer than their bikes. To each their own, though. I will always race what I prefer to ride, though. Of course, I don't see myself on an Ottrott at $5,000 plus for the frame and fork unless I get a used one at a firesale.

Climb01742
06-17-2005, 01:24 PM
to try to answer the original question...

ottrotts accelerate quite well. they're stiff enough to transfer power very well. however, i'd put them more on the century-distance-comfort end of the scale than the balls-to-the-wall crit spint bike end of the scale.

yes, you could race an ottrott in a crit. would it be the best bike for that? perhaps not. for short, rocket-like accelerations i'd chose a fina instead or a merckx team sc.

IMO, the question isn't is it wise to race a $5k f+f in a crit...but is that f+f the best tool for the job?

dirtdigger88
06-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Cannondale R5000 (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RR5KD.html)

there is about as high end of a crit bike as anyone not getting free gear needs- Cadd8 frame- DA10- Ksyriums- all for around $2500.00

THAT is the right tool for the job

Jason

inthegutter
06-17-2005, 03:11 PM
So if you trash that Cannondale, you will have to pay around $1,500 for a new frame. Why not just pay $250 to get the Ottrott repaired and buy a cheaper bike to ride in the meantime with the $1,250 balance. Not only that, but the chance of you crashing so bad and so often that the 3-4 week wait for repair is really setting you back is very small. If you raced every crit all year, I would be surprised if your frame needed repair once every two seasons... :rolleyes:

Now, as for wheels, brifters, pedals, bar tape and skewers.... those have a MUCH bigger chance of getting ruined. So I wouldn't run any ADA's in a crit, especially because they don't have a real crash policy.

Big Dan
06-17-2005, 03:17 PM
good luck.................. :crap:

Tmogul
06-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I may be missing something here but you cannot compare the ride characteristics of a fully custom frame. You have the frame made to ride the way you like it. So I would think sure you could order up the world's greatest crit bike FOR YOU.

Either way you are in a great position if that bike is on your short list. Cheers.

FlaRider
06-17-2005, 04:43 PM
I own an Ottrott ST and do a fair share of crit racing down here in sunny (and humid) Florida. That said, I would NEVER ever consider racing on the Ottrott. Just too much $ at risk and all for what ?? - a $20 gift certificate to a local bike shop if you win?? Instead, I race on a custom Carl Strong alu bike. Light, super stiff and corners fabulously. If I crash and wreck the frame, no biggie. I'd just order another frame from Carl or perhaps a Cannondale.

William
06-17-2005, 04:50 PM
I own an Ottrott ST and do a fair share of crit racing down here in sunny (and humid) Florida. That said, I would NEVER ever consider racing on the Ottrott. Just too much $ at risk and all for what ?? - a $20 gift certificate to a local bike shop if you win?? Instead, I race on a custom Carl Strong alu bike. Light, super stiff and corners fabulously. If I crash and wreck the frame, no biggie. I'd just order another frame from Carl or perhaps a Cannondale.

That's what I'm talking about. :beer:

If you own an Ottrott and you want to crit it....go for it...have fun...squeeze the melon....(huh? :confused: ).

William :beer: