PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Framesaver/Braze on Record CT FD/ 1" threaded Record or CK Headset (black)

130R
05-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi guys! I need:

1.) JP Weigle's Framesaver
2.) A Braze on Record Compact FD
3.) A 1" threaded black Chris king headset in black.
3.) OR! 1" threaded record headset

TIA!!

ultraman6970
05-22-2011, 07:16 PM
U can get anti rust spray paint in your local auto shop and probably way cheaper than what framesaver costs. Frame saver is a just anti corrosion black paint.

130R
05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I used weigle's framesaver in the past and it's what I'm familiar with. 13 dollars for a can isn't that big of a sacrifice for me. :D

bike22
05-22-2011, 07:41 PM
headset- threadless or threaded?

130R
05-22-2011, 07:45 PM
threaded is preferred. But if the price is right I can buy the appropriate adapter

thwart
05-22-2011, 07:46 PM
U can get anti rust spray paint in your local auto shop and probably way cheaper than what framesaver costs. Frame saver is a just anti corrosion black paint.

Hmmm... mine's actually a brown, waxy substance (at least when dry). Are we both talkin' about Wiegle's FrameSaver?

ultraman6970
05-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Ni idea whats that, i bought long time ago a rust conversion paint, anything that is rust gets black, it is a paint that will stick to metal and will seal and kill any rust in metals. I used it in a car and in a bike frame years ago and worked like a charm.

Hmmm... mine's actually a brown, waxy substance (at least when dry). Are we both talkin' about Wiegle's FrameSaver?

bike22
05-22-2011, 08:08 PM
rust conversion paint =/= frame saver or rust inhibitor.

WayneJ
05-23-2011, 06:29 AM

This is totally wrong. Framesaver is not a paint. It is an oily, waxy substance that coats the insides of the tubes and then semi-solidifies into a waxy film. The color is a dark amber. It is a great product. Some use Boeshield T-9, but I have no experience with it.

martinrjensen
05-23-2011, 07:37 AM
If this is true and frame saver only coats the surface, than it's not the best product for a frame. You want something that converts the rust to an inert surface. There are lots of products out there that do this. Oxflow, Navel jelly, the rust converting paint mentioned.This is totally wrong. Framesaver is not a paint. It is an oily, waxy substance that coats the insides of the tubes and then semi-solidifies into a waxy film. The color is a dark amber. It is a great product. Some use Boeshield T-9, but I have no experience with it.

oldpotatoe
05-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi guys! I need:

1.) JP Weigle's Framesaver
2.) A Braze on Record Compact FD
3.) A 1" threaded black Chris king headset in black.
3.) OR! 1" threaded record headset

TIA!!
1.)Weigle's stuff is currently out of stock in the US...Boeshield and automotive rust inhibators work also
2.) Get a post 2008 Campagnolo FD(all FDers then made for CT or normal cranks) or really any normal Campagnolo FD, they work great, better than the 'CT' FD, IMHO.
3.)I have these new-$130
4.)I can get this NIB-$140

rugbysecondrow
05-23-2011, 07:47 AM
It is clear some folks have no flipp'n clue what they are talking about.

AngryScientist
05-23-2011, 07:48 AM
just chiming in on the anti-corrosion stuff : any marine store will have anti-corrosion spray, to be used in a marine environment (read: salt water, highly corrosive), works great for steel frames.

WayneJ
05-23-2011, 02:24 PM
If this is true and frame saver only coats the surface, than it's not the best product for a frame. You want something that converts the rust to an inert surface. There are lots of products out there that do this. Oxflow, Navel jelly, the rust converting paint mentioned.

Framesaver and like products do NOT convert rust to some other form or substance. Metal protective products coat the unpainted steel to PREVENT rust from occuring. No oxygen = no rust. If your frame has enough rust to consider using a rust CONVERTER, throw it away and start over. Besides, rust converters are ineffective (from my limited experience on non-cycling applications).

130R
05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
1.)Weigle's stuff is currently out of stock in the US...Boeshield and automotive rust inhibators work also
2.) Get a post 2008 Campagnolo FD(all FDers then made for CT or normal cranks) or really any normal Campagnolo FD, they work great, better than the 'CT' FD, IMHO.
3.)I have these new-$130
4.)I can get this NIB-$140

hey potatoe,

I actually have boeshield and do not really trust it since it's more watery than the weigle stuff. hopefully someone on here knows where to get a can.

thanks for tip on the FD!

Liberace
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Framesaver - My local shop has a couple of cans. I think they are something like $16-$18/can. Let me know if you want me to pick one up and mail it to you.

Sean

dave thompson
05-23-2011, 04:05 PM
hey potatoe,

I actually have boeshield and do not really trust it since it's more watery than the weigle stuff. hopefully someone on here knows where to get a can.

thanks for tip on the FD!
Boeshield is a lot tougher than you might think. It was developed by Boeing Aircraft to prevent rust and corrosion on their airplanes. It migrated to the marine industry because it works so well. Boeshield's 'watery' appearance is due to the solvents that carry the actual substances that give Boeshield is properties. The solvents evaporate somewhat quickly, leaving behind a waxy substance that really coats the metals.

I use Boeshield when I run out of Framesaver.