PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Brian Smith , fixee nut

Smiley
06-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Please call out your fixee and the gear of choice :

Kogswell G 58 with a 42 X 16 , and no way would I do Desolation Hill with it :banana:

Ginger
06-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Now *I'm* going to join Jason in getting asked to leave...

The following site will be of more interest to the Ladies than the Gents. And it's a safe bet it's not a work-safe, child-safe site. You've been warned.

Fixies and Undies (or not):
http://thefge.com/

Brian Smith
06-16-2005, 10:16 PM
OK, I'm game.
This was by no means a very "intentional" bike...I bought the bike to match a cycling cap I already owned and modified it for commutin' use.
Austro Daimler Vent Noir, 531 noodle, Club Roost Cross Terra 700 x 38s*,
primarily early black Dura Ace, mavic track rear hub, suntour adj. cart. bearing front hub, Nitto moustache bars, Wellgo LU313 platform pedals, 42/15

Hey, the cranks already came with a nice black, drilled 42, and the 15t uniglide cog was swiped from my Zeus track bike since it was the closest usable cog.

Thanks for the shout, Smiley! I don't object to being called a fixie nut (though I am not really a devotee of strictly fixed gears to be sure,) but this guy has got it MUCH worse than I: www.mattchester.com
He's a good friend I've ridden with a bunch, so I can call him out like that!
I think anyone who sets up an xtracycle with a 36t chainring and spins 150+ around town with their groceries lives up to "fixie nut" better than I!

Riding up to Lake D last week gave me further cause to reflect upon the idea that folks used to ride that way only and everywhere, to places and in conditions that I don't undertake with even the best of today's gear. I'd be toast after racing only 50 miles like that. It is easy to romanticize the past, but those were the hard folks. Also it makes me re-realize that bicycles as a whole really do work wonderfully well. :)

Anyway, I've enjoyed this bike a good deal, it's made me think that maybe a fixie that fits me, and is made from some form of Colorado Concept tubing might get a little more use and a little more "love" as far as equipment and cleanliness goes too.... This is my first "non-track" fixed gear bike.

*These are one of the most useful bicycle tires I've ever known! I've raced 'cross, crits, toured, commuted, and messengerred on them. Dirt cheap, rolls smooth, lasts very long, grips well. OK, so they're heavy as heck, but it's well used mass!

aLexis
06-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Surly Steamroller, Boston Baked Bean Brown.
Cinelli Priest Handlebar
1976 Campy Record Hubs.
Misc Campy HS and Cranks
Police decal for theft prevention.

Climb01742
06-17-2005, 05:50 AM
i just want to mention once again...somewhere near the middle of the desolation lake climb...as i was huffing and puffing on my 39x23 or 25 and beginning to see spots...and suddenly i feel a hand pushing my back...and it's brian on his 42x15...helping me. my god, he is two things...incredibly fit...and very kind to us wussies. thanks, dude! :beer:

William
06-17-2005, 06:00 AM
Going up is quite a feat...but, what about coming back down that hill on a fixed gear??? He's got to have some supple legs to keep up with those cranks. Supple baby! :cool:

William ;)

djg
06-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Lemond Fillmore, running a 44/16. Dunno about desolation hill.

Too Tall
06-17-2005, 12:29 PM
68, 72 or 83 inches. All, favs.
Fixee is a custom Seven Axiom w/road geo

Marron
06-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Merckx Corsa Extra 44X16/18 I've only used the 18 once, when riding at Mt. Rainier a few weeks ago. It was a bit easier than needed so I'm going to a 46X16/18 for RAMROD. You know you've got the fixxie bug when you start thinking about the descents as the challange on a ride.

Merckx MX-Leader 44X16

Mercx TI-AX 48X18 The only gear combo that works on this vertical drop out frame. My dream bike would be a TI-EX which was built with horizontal drop outs.

Sarranoni 44X16/18 This one is the most fun to ride around town because of the steeper frame angles and more direct handling.

My gearing choices are based on my ability to get up the 1/4 mile hill to my house. It's about a 12% grade and my stall out gear for the last hundred yards is hovering at 44/16 and holding.