PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Experts Opinions

Wilkinson4
05-22-2011, 09:15 AM
All,

I am first in line with this but it is a repaint. Looks like it may be a late 80's or early 90's but beyond that what should I look for to confirm it is a Serotta?

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2395677872.html

mIKE

Aaron O
05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
All,

I am first in line with this but it is a repaint.Looks like it may be a late 80's or early 90's but beyond that what should I look for to confirm it is a Serotta?

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2395677872.html

mIKE

At that price you don't worry about it...if it's a Serotta, and it probably is, SCORE. If it isn't, you have a nice mid-range bike with a decent parts group at a solid price you can sell for same...or more.

I don't see that many bike fakes out there...and the fakes that do exist are usually obvious, like a continental with De Rosa decals. I also think someone faking would be more likely to claim Colnago or a "name" bike. Most folks don't know Serotta.

Unless I'm blind, those are Campagnolo drops...it can't be too bad.

gdw
05-22-2011, 09:58 AM
"At that price you don't worry about it...if it's a Serotta, and it probably is, SCORE. If it isn't, you have a nice mid-range bike with a decent parts group at a solid price you can sell for same...or more."

Actually it's overpriced for the local market if it isn't a Serotta. Older steel bikes with Japanese components can be found regularly at yards sales for $50-100.

mIKE - Go check it out if it's nearby and you have some free time.

Wilkinson4
05-22-2011, 10:05 AM
He is just up the road 20 min from me so I will check it out. Looking for Campy dropouts, any indication it is a serotta (S).

Looks like flutted seat stay caps. Pics are not great.

mIKE

Aaron O
05-22-2011, 10:19 AM
"At that price you don't worry about it...if it's a Serotta, and it probably is, SCORE. If it isn't, you have a nice mid-range bike with a decent parts group at a solid price you can sell for same...or more."

Actually it's overpriced for the local market if it isn't a Serotta. Older steel bikes with Japanese components can be found regularly at yards sales for $50-100.

mIKE - Go check it out if it's nearby and you have some free time.

I have no idea where his market is, but in my market, a Japanese bike with 600-105 will easily sell at that price...and most people don't have the time or energy to scour yard sales.

Additionally, as someone who does stop at the occasional yard sale, I think you are grossly exaggerating the number of quality Japanese bikes that sell for $100. Because you find a great deal every now and again doesn't mean that's the market.

In short, while I don't know his market, unless it's Beirut...I think your comment is beneath inaccurate and bordering on silly.

By the way - how many production Japanese bikes have campy drop outs? The odds of that being Japanese production are about the same odds as having a hard time selling that bike for $300.

Pete Serotta
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Look at bottom of bottom bracket housing and if it is a 54 then the first two ##s should be 54. There might be one or two letters ahead of it. That is all I can tell you and that is not a guarantee but a probability. :help: :help:

gdw
05-22-2011, 10:57 AM
"In short, while I don't know his market, unless it's Beirut...I think your comment is beneath inaccurate and bordering on silly"

Lighten up guy. I know his market quite well since we live in the same area and my comment on pricing is very accurate. I don't spend a lot of time on the local yard sale circuit but have regularly found quality bikes in the price range mentioned and even lower especially at this time of year when the CU students are moving out after the spring semester/graduation. As to the Campy dropouts, it's worth checking out but dropouts aren't always an indicator of a frames quality.

Aaron O
05-22-2011, 11:06 AM
"In short, while I don't know his market, unless it's Beirut...I think your comment is beneath inaccurate and bordering on silly"

Lighten up guy. I know his market quite well since we live in the same area and my comment on pricing is very accurate. I don't spend a lot of time on the local yard sale circuit but have regularly found quality bikes in the price range mentioned and even lower especially at this time of year when the CU students are moving out after the spring semester/graduation. As to the Campy dropouts, it's worth checking out but dropouts aren't always an indicator of a frames quality.

Yes...I regularly see Japanese production bikes and Ross frames with Campy drop outs (just like you can easily find them for $50).

:rolleyes:

You're wrong...just admit it. Sure, great deals happen. I bought a Serotta Colorado 2 for $400. That doesn't mean that's what the market is. You're in Denver, which I know has a cycling scene...I'm quite sure that bike easily sells for $300. I'm assuming you understand the difference between yard sale market value and CL market value?

PS...prove me wrong and show me this plethora of $50 600 bikes on Denver's Craigslist.

Some sample prices from your CL:

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2395787770.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2395662298.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2395293199.html

Amazingly there was only one mid-range Japanese bike posted the last two days...at $400 and not as nice.

mandasol
05-22-2011, 11:22 AM
See if you can find a pantograph "S" anywhere, like on the seat stay brake bridge or fork crown.

While not having any may not be enough to rule it out, having one will certainly help support it is.

gdw
05-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Aaron I'm not looking for a fight. Just because someone lists an old steel bike for $250 or more on Craigslist doesn't mean that it will sell for that price especially along the front range in Colorado. If it is a Serotta than it's a sweet deal. If it's a repainted Flying Dutchman, a production bike, or someones first attempt at framebuilding than it's overpriced. There are lots of nice older bikes in this area and the majority are being purchased by kids who want to convert them into fixed geared town bikes. They generally don't have a lot of cash to spend and consequently the value of older bikes is less than you might think.

As to proving you wrong it's not worth the time and frankly I can't understand why you're so up in arms. I certainly wouldn't attempt to lecture you on the used market in Philly. Bye.

Aaron O
05-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Aaron I'm not looking for a fight. Just because someone lists an old steel bike for $250 or more on Craigslist doesn't mean that it will sell for that price especially along the front range in Colorado. If it is a Serotta than it's a sweet deal. If it's a repainted Flying Dutchman, a production bike, or someones first attempt at framebuilding than it's overpriced. There are lots of nice older bikes in this area and the majority are being purchased by kids who want to convert them into fixed geared town bikes. They generally don't have a lot of cash to spend and consequently the value of older bikes is less than you might think.

As to proving you wrong it's not worth the time and frankly I can't understand why you're so up in arms. I certainly wouldn't attempt to lecture you on the used market in Philly. Bye.

I'm not looking for a fight, but if you're going to correct someone, you might want to be right. You aren't. In fact your correction was outright silly. You can't prove me wrong because I just took a look at your CL...and there is not a plentiful supply of Japanese road bikes for $50. For the market to be $50-$100, there would have to be an accessible supply...and there's not. Meaning - you're wrong.

Rooking some students, good deals and yard sales are not market value. Ebay and CL are market value. By those standards, you're wrong.

Since you clearly know your market well...I'll make a deal with you. I will personally pay you $150, plus shipping, for bikes with that range of parts, in that condition. You shouldn't have a problem finding them since that's the market. I'll take ten...when can you ship them?

Wilkinson4
05-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't want to get all Rodney King here but c'mon guys. no :fight:

It is the day after the end of the world and we're still here with our forum brothers and sisters:D And I got a nice 30 mile dirt and pave ride in:)

Well, I'll see what it looks like and if the paint is some rattle can job. Still, this looks like a good deal at that price if the dropouts are campy.

And a great deal if it is a Serotta as long as there are no dings or dents...

My best Serotta deal ever was a fit cycle for $60 on CL. Can't top that!

mIKE

Ken Robb
05-22-2011, 12:04 PM
My best Serotta deal ever was a fit cycle for $60 on CL. Can't top that!

mIKE

But does it plane? :D

Wilkinson4
05-22-2011, 02:25 PM
No, the fit cycle doesn't plane for me. I'll send to Jan for a double blind test fit cycle shootout!

Ok, I bought this bike... It appears to be a 83 Serotta with fluted seat stay ends, Cinelli BB and long horizontal dropouts but they are shimano.

It is still in the car but the paint was supreme, no dings, cips or dents... It's an Imron in light rose metallic, done by D&D Cycling:)

Components are dirty but in great condition. Shimano 600 brakes and cranks, Dura Ace levers, Mavic rims and Shimano 600 hubs. Shimano 105 derailleurs.

I'll get this cleaned up and bearings greased then I'll post some pics. It looks like it may be a tad too small for me but it will be a good bike for my nephew.

Oh yea, the seller bougt it for $40 at a yard sale!

mIKE

gdw
05-22-2011, 02:39 PM
$40, that's $10 below local market value. ;) It looks like everybody made out well especially your nephew.