PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Bar Reccomendations

Hawker
05-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I just installed a new set of 42cm 3T Pro Ergonova bars that I thought I'd love. I do like the flat tops but the rest of the bar doesn't work at all. Sigh.

I'm on the short side and I'm trying to shorten the overall cockpit lenght. Unfortunately the Ergonova bars seem to put the brake hoods (DA7800) a bit further away than the ones I had previously and the drops are too deep as well.

So, any suggestions for an alloy bar that has a shallow drop and will keep the cockpit on the short side? The flatten tops are not a necessity, but I do like them. Should I consider a "woman's" bar? Will an anatomical bar shorten my reach to the brake levers over a curved bar? Or just the opposite?

Thank you!

AngryScientist
05-21-2011, 02:15 PM
the FSA Omega compact (wing top or not) is on of the most loved compact drop bars out there, and @ <40 brand new, definitely a worthwhile experiment.

dave thompson
05-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Agree about the FSA Omega, short and shallow. See here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=908436&postcount=26 and here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=810557&postcount=1

Grant McLean
05-21-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm on the short side and I'm trying to shorten the overall cockpit lenght. Unfortunately the Ergonova bars seem to put the brake hoods (DA7800) a bit further away than the ones I had previously and the drops are too deep as well.

The Ergonova has a reach of 77mm and a drop of 123mm.
Good luck finding something much shorter or shallower than that,
those numbers are among the smallest of anything on the market.

Ritchey WCS curve is the shortest at 73, but deeper at 128
FSA compact bars are 80x125
Deda compact bars are 77x128
PRO compact is 75x125
Zipp compact is 84x128
Specialized womens 75x125

How have you got the hoods set up? It's surprising to me you say
the hoods feel further away, can you bring the hoods higher, or rotate
the bar up some more?

-g

weaponsgrade
05-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I recently got a set of FSA K-Force Compacts and they're my new favorite bar. In addition to the short and shallow, the tops are slightly flat but not so much like the wing versions which I find too big. The drops also flare out a bit which seems like a more natural position when in the drops.

Jason E
05-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Is anyone using the Deda Newton Shallow? Thoughts?

dekindy
05-21-2011, 08:07 PM
I agree with AngryScientist and Dave Thompson. I absolutely love mine!

godfrey1112000
05-21-2011, 08:28 PM
very stiff and light

obtw very cool looking

FlashUNC
05-21-2011, 08:33 PM
the FSA Omega compact (wing top or not) is on of the most loved compact drop bars out there, and @ <40 brand new, definitely a worthwhile experiment.

+1. Have a pair on my cross bike and love them. Going to get them on whatever my next bike is.

rice rocket
05-21-2011, 08:50 PM
The Ergonova has a reach of 77mm and a drop of 123mm.
Good luck finding something much shorter or shallower than that,
those numbers are among the smallest of anything on the market.

It is among the shortest, but I don't believe there's a standardized way to measure reach on bars, so the numbers could be one way or another.

Too bad about the Ergonova though, I find them to be wonderful. Perhaps shorten the stem to accomodate?

BCS
05-21-2011, 09:00 PM
The Bontrager VR-S is tiny at 70 x 120

John H.
05-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Easton SLX3 has shortest effective reach that I have seen/used. It has a slightly different shape right where the lever attatches- allows the lever to be closer. Most other compact bars have the shifter mount at the Apex of the curve to it is further away.

Hawker
05-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check out the options.

I've noticed that a few models (like those below) mention "swept back" bars. I presume that would be a bar that actually comes back toward you a bit before flaring out and down. I presume that type of design might bring the hoods a bit closer?

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=299398

Louis
05-22-2011, 03:51 PM
O'Malley's

Pyramor
05-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Just mounted the Omegas on my training bike. I have the Wing Pro Compact on my go-fast. Love the wing for the hands, but wanted to see how the regular ones would work since they were about 1/3 the price. The drops are much better than the ergo bend that I had on it. Much easier to reach the levers in the drops.

Grant McLean
05-24-2011, 06:20 PM
It is among the shortest, but I don't believe there's a standardized way to measure reach on bars, so the numbers could be one way or another.

All the examples I gave are measured the same way.
I've checked a lot of bars personally, i'd say it is consistent
enough. Bar examples do vary a bit, but not by much more than
a couple of mm's.

-g