PDA

View Full Version : Bike transport

axel23
05-20-2011, 09:20 PM
I know it's been discussed on several occasions, but I'm still trying to figure out which vehicle can best carry bikes inside. Here's the thing - it can't be a van. Both wheels have to stay on. And there needs to be room left over for the dog. So far, only the Honda Element meets all those criteria. Any ideas? Pictures of bike and dog attached . . .

pdmtong
05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
curious...why both wheels on?
if that's the case, chevy suburban with 3rd row folded...

1happygirl
05-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Can't be a van? I have nothing to offer. seriously.

axel23
05-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Using a roof rack now. By the time I stash the wheels, space gets tight. And with the Suburban you have to stack the bikes on top of each, put a blanket between them and hope for the best. There's gotta be a better option. . .

Steve in SLO
05-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Can't be a pickup? My Dakota QuadCab has room to lay the bike in the bed and a back seat for my pooch.

Louis
05-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Not sure if you'd call this a van or not:

Nissan NV2500 Starts around $25k

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/images/features/photos-gallery/exterior/full/silver-bakery.jpg

palincss
05-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Can the dog ride up front? If so, several wagons will fit the bill, including the VW, Acura, Audi and BMW.

godfrey1112000
05-21-2011, 06:38 AM
I know it's been discussed on several occasions, but I'm still trying to figure out which vehicle can best carry bikes inside. Here's the thing - it can't be a van. Both wheels have to stay on. And there needs to be room left over for the dog. So far, only the Honda Element meets all those criteria. Any ideas? Pictures of bike and dog attached . . .

we have used the suburban and yukon xl with third seat removed, lots of room also we put the Rocket Box on the roof for maximum luggage, the most we have carried inside and out, yamika bike rack on the trailer hitch Seven bikes with the third seat still in use

Have also seen three bikes in the Honda Element wheels off

Ralph
05-21-2011, 06:43 AM
I've got a 2010 EX Element. It does those things you require. Inside roof height about 46" from floor. It was cheap to buy, it's simple to maintain, doesn't depreciate much (comparatively), and gets decent fuel economy, especially urban driving. Just basic reliable and long lasting Honda Accord engine and transmission. It's EPA rated at 25 on hiway, but if I don't go too fast, I usually get 27-28 on trips. It's not very aero efficient, and it's extremely efficient AC seems to hurt fuel economy at hiway speeds. On the other hand, it's simple manual heating and cooling system does an outstanding job of bringing in outside air, if it's cool enough to cool you. It also has good built in tie down points.

Downside.....It's a good thing I own other more exciting vehicles to drive. Cause the Element is kinda boring to travel with. Also.....while it hauls stuff good, it doesn't haul people well. Those fold up out of the way and also removable rear seats aren't very comfortable for adults on trips. I usually have one rear seat out all the time, and one folded up all the time in case I need to haul one person in rear.That leaves plenty of room to back my bike in. But I use a simple fork mount, with front wheel removed and riding in the mount. Not sure how to transport with all wheels on, either stick rear wheel between front seats, or turn front wheel sideways. Fork mount more secure, especially if you have accident. Don't want bike to take my head off.

So for bikes and dog (especially with dog hauling package), it's hard to beat. If you need to haul some folks in back, get a minivan. Looking for driving excitement (and prestige), get something else. MHO

Edit addition.....Newer ones have timing chains, not timing belts, so no expensive timing belts to replace as maintenance items.

Ralph
05-21-2011, 11:52 AM
As I mentioned above.....The Element is what it is......I do like the XM radio and the deal I learned about on the Element owners Club web site. elementownersclub.com . To extend XM a year beyond free period, $77 plus $11 royalty fees. So XM for $88 a year. Lots of info there about Element.

fogrider
05-23-2011, 01:31 AM
so you take your dog with you when you go riding?

dogdriver
05-23-2011, 06:51 AM
How about a receiver hitch rack (for the bike, not the dog)?

Wheels have to stay on? If you are willing to pop the front wheel, your possible auto list expands immensely. Even more if you remove the seat post...

godfrey1112000
05-23-2011, 06:56 AM
How about a receiver hitch rack (for the bike, not the dog)?

Wheels have to stay on? If you are willing to pop the front wheel, your possible auto list expands immensely. Even more if you remove the seat post...

I have driven coast to coast with the Yamika hitch, three on the back no problem just bungy cord the wheels to each bike so they wont spin or sway

alsoplease see the usa today review of mini vans which would fit your need some are 28mpg

bart998
05-23-2011, 04:05 PM
I have an F250 and I can put one bike in the rear seat area by folding up the seats. Two if I take off the front wheels. Also, can get three bikes in the bed standing up. I use a padded 2x4 I slide through the frame and bungee the frame to the board which pins to the side rails. Put on a camper shell and they are "inside."

Bob Loblaw
05-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Not sure why the wheels on criteria.

There are fork and wheel mounts you can bolt to a plank secured to the floor of an SUV. I have seen bikes transported three-across like that.

http://www.prolineracks.com/thule-821-low-rider-rack.jpg

Or they have these as well:

http://www.slikfit.com/media/00/a20792a12e24d41a1c9f68_m.jpg

Personally I drive a pickup with fork mounts bolted to the front rail of the bed. Works great.

BL

Louis
05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
How much height is available in the rear of a Ford Flex?

RPS
05-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Not sure if you'd call this a van or not:

Nissan NV2500 Starts around $25k

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/images/features/photos-gallery/exterior/full/silver-bakery.jpg
Reminds me of the original Suburbans and also Willys Jeep station wagons -- a pickup front with van rear for cargo.

The Nissan is mostly marketed for commercial use and according to what I've read isn't easy on gas . It will compete with Ford E series full-size vans but claim improved engine access through hood rather than doghouse.

Blue Jays
05-23-2011, 11:44 PM
"...Wheels have to stay on? If you are willing to pop the front wheel, your possible auto list expands immensely...""...Not sure why the wheels on criteria. There are fork and wheel mounts you can bolt to a plank secured to the floor of an SUV..."dogdriver and Bob Loblaw are both entirely correct with regard to vehicles.
Introduce flexibility to remove even just the front wheel and MANY more choices become available.
Good luck with your purchase. Ford Flex was a good potential suggestion.

rustychisel
05-24-2011, 12:42 AM
aaahh, I get it now. Dog's a little slow and hasn't learnt how to flip the front wheel QR yet. :D

RPS
05-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Using a roof rack now. By the time I stash the wheels, space gets tight. And with the Suburban you have to stack the bikes on top of each, put a blanket between them and hope for the best. There's gotta be a better option. . .
Cute mutt.

For two bikes, two adults, and a mid-size dog to travel comfortably you need the approximate interior size of a mini-van. IMO excluding vans pretty much leaves fairly large SUVs. When Nancy and I traveled to the Hill Country in March with our dog Bailey and two bikes (plus a tandem) it took most of the space inside an Odyssey (and I think it’s rated around 150 cubic feet). Personally, I wouldn’t want to travel very far with two bikes standing inside an Element while leaving enough room for gear and also for the dog to move around.

I can’t recommend anything other than to take a tape measure to Ford and Chevy dealers (and others) and measure Chevy Suburban and Traverse and Ford Expedition and Explorer for head room. Your bike isn’t that tall so it may fit OK. These I mentioned are costly and fuel inefficient compared to Element so they may not be what you’d want anyway.

I’m curious how you plan to secure the bikes so they don’t move around or fall on the dog, because if on the same side of vehicle you’ll have some of the same problems as laying one on top of the other (you’ll need to pad them well to protect them). Securing bikes on opposite sides of vehicle leaves the middle open but normally with less space overall since they won’t be nested together; particularly if the bikes have to be leaned over a little to clear saddle due to limited headroom. I had to lean bikes slightly with my old CR-V and Chevy wagon before that – and both cases without front wheels.

Bottom line from my perspective is that there are valid reasons so many of us use fork mounts to secure bikes upright. And lack of other vehicle options also explains why mini-vans are making a moderate comeback. Functionally they are nothing more than a large FWD wagon with superior space utilization. Handling, acceleration, and fuel economy can be very similar too.

christian
05-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda Odyssey and a 1973 911S. Problem solved.