PDA

View Full Version : Question on a TI Quill?

bambam
05-20-2011, 09:32 AM
I have a Bike with a serotta ti quill stem in 130mm length with 35m of base showing. I'm guessing from around 01 (paint scheme on page 26 of 01 catalogue).

Last night I hit bump in the road and the bars rolled down in the clamp.
I got it re-adjusted and test it out by pushing it down and noticed some flex. I thought it might just be the bars twisting but upon futher inspection noticed it was the quill flexing. So... 4 questions.

1. Anybody know the proper tentioning in the clamp?

2. Is this dangerous or normal?

3. How much flex is to much flex? I'm use to stems not flexing at all but I love the look of the stem and don't want go to the adapter and threadless route.

4. Do those Pretty Grammo stems flex as well? Or does the ovalness counter that?

Thanks,
BamBam

FGC
05-20-2011, 12:25 PM
I think I can answer #2 and #3. Flex is normal. Even with a super stiff threadless stem, it'll move if you whale on it, but not very much. On the last bike I built with a quill stem I used some 3T noodle that would flex a lot. No problems, other than sprinting on it. I wouldn't worry about the flex once you've checked it for signs of fatigue and found none.

DRZRM
05-20-2011, 12:33 PM
There was a inspection/recall (IIRC, don't quote me on that) some time back on these Serotta ti quill stems. I don't remember the issue, maybe someone else can jump in. I rode one for a long time on my Legend, and never thought of these stems as flexy, but that is pretty subjective I guess.

vsefiream
05-20-2011, 12:43 PM
If anybody has any info regarding a Ti-quill stem problem, please post as I am looking to purchase one for my bike and want to know what to look for.

DRZRM
05-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Serotta News

December 12, 2005

Serotta Takes Proactive Stance on Stem Fatigue

Serotta Competition Bicycles has issued a proactive structural alert regarding its STS titanium stems. Effective immediately, Serotta Competition Bicycles urges all owners of Serotta Titanium Stems to conduct an inspection of the stem welds for any signs of hairline cracks. In addition, owners are asked to conduct a bending and twisting test to check for any unusual cracking or creaking sounds. If there is any evidence of cracks or creaking, the user is advised to discontinue the use of the stem immediately.

Serotta reports that only a few of thousands of the stems which were produced between 1995 and 1998 have been returned showing signs of fatigue failure, but as a precautionary measure, the company is issuing this warning. Any customers who would like to return their stem to Serotta for inspection are welcome to do so by contacting the company and obtaining an RA (return authorization) number.

It is not clear why these three samples have fatigued, but there are many variables that effect fatigue life including rider weight, whether or not maximum insertion depth was adhered to, handlebar selection, clamp/bar interface, bolt torque and use conditions. These in fact are conditions that affect the long term strength and durability of all stems in the market place, welded or forged.

As with all Serotta products, we conducted periodic fatigue testing on our stems which showed them to be very durable, in fact, tests showed a fatigue life cycle well beyond most aluminum stems.
Inspection procedures are as follows:

* The bending test should be performed while standing over the bike, bracing the top tube or saddle and pushing down and pulling up evenly on both sides of the bar.
* The twisting test should be conducted similarly (weight on top tube or saddle) while pulling up on one side of the handle bar while pushing down on the other and repeating.
* Visual inspection should be conducted by thoroughly cleaning all weld/joint sights and examining the entire joint area for any signs of cracking. A small reading glass is recommended to aid in this procedure.

Serotta recommends that all cyclists conduct visual inspections of their equipment (any model, any brand) on a regular basis- at least once every 500 miles, or immediately after any crash. Think of yourself as a pilot.

RA Procedure:
Send an email to Kelly Bedford, Kelly@serotta.com.
Please provide: Name, address, contact information, stem model, specifications, date of purchase, place of purchase.

bambam
05-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the help on this. I'll perform a better check tonight.