PDA

View Full Version : RoadID - which model?

radsmd
05-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Planning on finally getting a RoadID, but not sure which wrist model.

Sport - nylon strap. Looks like the most comfortable, but would be difficult to keep clean and not smelly.

Elite - rubber strap with metal clasp. Easy to keep clean, but afraid the sharp edges on the metal clasp and engraved portion may cause cuts and additional injury in a crash.

Slim - similar to elite, but looks a little too much like all the other rubber wristbands (livestrong, etc) and will be overlooked by first responders.

Anybody with any of the above have advise/suggestions on what works for them?

1happygirl
05-20-2011, 12:12 AM
more like its purpose-a bodytag.

gone
05-20-2011, 01:49 AM
I use the elite. Stays clean, doesn't smell and it seems somewhat more conspicuous to first responders than one on the ankle (I figure they're taking a pulse, putting in an IV, etc., and they'll see it). I suppose you could construct a scenario where it'd cause additional injuries but realistically I think even if it did they'd be minor.

dekindy
05-20-2011, 03:35 AM
I don't think that I would like the stainless steel clasp on the Elite. Go with the simplicity of the Sport's velcro; it is easy to put on. I have been using it for a year and it is easy to put on and you do not notice that it is there. No problem with odor.

Bruce K
05-20-2011, 04:38 AM
Having a sport and elite I like the elite better.

Easier maintenance, seems to be pretty durable.

Absolutely wrist.

BK

crownjewelwl
05-20-2011, 05:08 AM
I had the sport. If you're not careful, the velcro can damage your clothing. I snagged it on a couple of jerseys. I now have the elite.

godfrey1112000
05-20-2011, 05:13 AM
Elite - rubber strap with metal clasp. Easy to keep clean,

very adjustable, no rubbing, no fading like the regular wrist

aarondgirard
05-20-2011, 06:06 AM
My fiancee and I have the sport model. Very comfortable, no smell issues. We are getting married in July, and the company was really helpful in changing out our tags for new names and information.

Birddog
05-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Had the ankle a few years back and didn't like it at all so I shortened it and made it a sport. Got a new sport band last year and kept the metal ID part and like it a lot. Friend has the Elite but doesn't like it. I don't recall why.

ultraman6970
05-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Probably because the commercials are really really bad ? :) Even the one for the day light device thingy is more original than the road id one. having like 10 guys seated in a sofa speaking in specific about road ID is a really really bad idea. You never have that situation but maybe in a swap met :P

In general cyclists are loners.

deechee
05-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Have one, no problems, I'm sensitive to things rubbing/scratching but I've never had a problem with it. Occasionally wash it in the shower/sink, no problems.

Also, I've fallen a few times with a metal band watch and it just did some minor scratches. The road id elite's metal portion is quite small so I doubt it would do any real hurt in an accident.

Hawker
05-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Am I the only one who wishes this concept were added to a watch? I really don't want to wear something on both wrists or two items on one wrist. Doesn't seem like manufacturing something like this would be a big deal?

OK, I trade mark it here. TM and Patent Pending.

MarleyMon
05-20-2011, 09:17 AM
get this one
http://www.roadid.com/Wouter/

Louis
05-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Just get a tattoo ;)

rugbysecondrow
05-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Just get a tattoo ;)

Don't make fun, but that is what I am thinking of doing. I think my wife is sold on the idea. Cheaper long term and it will be with me when I swim, hike, MTB, road ride, scuba etc...unless my arm gets severed. If that happens, I have big problems, huh?

deechee
05-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Just get a tattoo ;)

Someone watched "Memento" too many times. What happens when your phone# changes?

DRZRM
05-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Sport works for me, I just wash it when I wash my hands from time to time, dries fast.

Rugbysecondrow: In this day and age with the whole world getting tattoos, do you think paramedics would notice or bother to read such a thing? You'd need an "ETM, please read tattoo on inner arm" tattoo on your neck. The bracelet should be in the way at some point, and I hope they would notice.

Louis
05-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Someone watched "Memento" too many times. What happens when your phone# changes?

Easy, turn old number into some Maori pattern (there is a cycling precedent, as I'm sure you know) and add the new one somewhere else. There's plenty of space to improvise.

Edit: Strange, I don't remember that movie. :p :p :p

rugbysecondrow
05-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Sport works for me, I just wash it when I wash my hands from time to time, dries fast.

Rugbysecondrow: In this day and age with the whole world getting tattoos, do you think paramedics would notice or bother to read such a thing? You'd need an "ETM, please read tattoo on inner arm" tattoo on your neck. The bracelet should be in the way at some point, and I hope they would notice.

I was think dog tag style. Name, blood type, allergies etc. On my chest and/or on my inner arm where an IV might go.

They might not read it, you are right. I might just as easily forget or lose my Road ID too though. No system is perfect. :beer:

jlwdm
05-20-2011, 02:36 PM
I used the dog tag around the neck (Fixx) road id until contact info changed. I thought it worked well.

Jeff

sc53
05-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Don't make fun, but that is what I am thinking of doing. I think my wife is sold on the idea. Cheaper long term and it will be with me when I swim, hike, MTB, road ride, scuba etc...unless my arm gets severed. If that happens, I have big problems, huh?
Put it across your forehead. If THAT gets severed, your Road ID won't matter anyway.

avalonracing
05-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I used the dog tag around the neck (Fixx) road id until contact info changed. I thought it worked well.

Jeff

I carry a the Fixx model in my jersey, in a soft sunglasses case with my cash, CO2 and micro tool. It isn't quite as easy to find but if they need to check for ID they would find it just as they would find the one on your wrist.

rugbysecondrow
05-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Put it across your forehead. If THAT gets severed, your Road ID won't matter anyway.
Ha, true. At that point i think it ceases to be my problem.

mcgillicuddy_p
05-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I have an Elite and like it. I don't even notice that I am wearing it. Very easy to clean.

jmoore
05-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I use regular old dog tags. I had a RoadID but it was in my cycling bag when it got stolen. The dog tags work fine, esp. for $8

http://www.dogtagcity.com/Dog-Tags-p/1.htm

NeauDL
05-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Just get the cloth band model and throw it in the washer with your cycling clothes. It won't smell if washed regularly.

I'll probably buy a second one so I can leave it on the handlebars of a second bike between uses.

radsmd
05-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Good input. I'm leaning towards the elite.

KeithS
05-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I have the interactive version and a wrist ID Sport and an ankle ID, I lost one and then found it so they consolidated to one account. No problem keeping the nylon strap clean, wear in the shower or drop it in the sink. Most memorable customer service I've ever encountered. The best and most accomodating I've seen in a long time. The I think I talked to one of the principals when I called, someone named Wimmer at least.

djg21
05-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Planning on finally getting a RoadID, but not sure which wrist model.

Sport - nylon strap. Looks like the most comfortable, but would be difficult to keep clean and not smelly.

Elite - rubber strap with metal clasp. Easy to keep clean, but afraid the sharp edges on the metal clasp and engraved portion may cause cuts and additional injury in a crash.

Slim - similar to elite, but looks a little too much like all the other rubber wristbands (livestrong, etc) and will be overlooked by first responders.

Anybody with any of the above have advise/suggestions on what works for them?

I have a couple. I wear an Elite with a rubber strap while hiking, skiing, and with casual wear. I have another on a shoe attachment that is never removed from my cycling shoes. I don't like riding with anything on my wrists, or around my neck.

NeauDL
05-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Just get the cloth band model and throw it in the washer with your cycling clothes. It won't smell if washed regularly.

I'll probably buy a second one so I can leave it on the handlebars of a second bike between uses.

slowandsteady
05-21-2011, 07:26 AM
I use the elite. Stays clean, doesn't smell and it seems somewhat more conspicuous to first responders than one on the ankle (I figure they're taking a pulse, putting in an IV, etc., and they'll see it). I suppose you could construct a scenario where it'd cause additional injuries but realistically I think even if it did they'd be minor.

+1 Orange wrist elite for me

bheight1
05-21-2011, 08:14 AM
I was leaning towards the Elite due to its stylishness, but went with the Sport because I only actually wear it when I'm riding and remove it with my helmet. Even though 1st Responders / Medical Tech are trained to look for a medical braclet / ID, I liked the fact that the Sport actually says ID and Road ID on two areas of the bracelet--which I think are reflective, a very small feature but an added benefit.

If you are purchasing for Identification purposes you probably can't go wrong with either. For me, my braclet contains instructions and seconds/minutes can be life saving, so having someone find my braclet faster--could help.

oldpotatoe
05-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Not uncommon in the Military
Name, SSN, DOB, blood type.