PDA

View Full Version : Stolen: De Rosa Primato

zmudshark
05-19-2011, 05:32 PM
My white De Rosa Primato was stolen out of my garage in N. Phoenix a few hours ago. If you see it, contact me at my forum username at gmail.com or here

https://picasaweb.google.com/zmudshark/MicaWhitePrimato#

54cm Mica White Centaur/Record 10 speed

4Rings6Stars
05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
That's terrible, sorry to hear about that. I'm on the lookout for one myself and always search so I'll keep an eye out for yours.

Good luck with the recovery.

cinema
05-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Awful. I've been there before. I'll keep an eye on craigslist. Most likely it is being parted out and it would make most sense to look for the frame only. Does it have a serial #?

akelman
05-19-2011, 05:43 PM
That's awful. I hope you recover it.

cuwinbs
05-19-2011, 05:54 PM
sorry to hear that!! how did they get in the garage?

msl819
05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
cant imagine it showing up in my neck of the woods but i will keep an eye out. sorry to hear about this... i have been there before too.

norcalbiker
05-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Sorry to hear that. I'll keep my eyes open.

jtakeda
05-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Ill keep my eyes on the Bay Area CL and Ebay. Good luck

ultraman6970
05-19-2011, 06:34 PM
The frame has to show up somewhere, the parts are easily to reduce but the frame is pretty much identificable anywhere. Good luck man... hope it shows up quick.

zmudshark
05-19-2011, 06:45 PM
No real serial number, but not all that common. I was painting the inside of my garage, had just moved one car back in, came in to check email, check dog, went out--gone. Hopped in car and prayed.

I've notified all the local shops I can think of, dropped pics at Pawn shops, and filed police report.

I've set up google alerts for PHX and Tucson, will also do the same for S. Cali

If anyone has other ideas, please share them

94crl
05-19-2011, 06:51 PM
You might want to try the Vegas area, too.

Buddha
05-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Go to the weekend flee market.

gomango
05-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Sad news.

I constantly watch for Primatos on CL and ebay.

Let's hope these guys make a mistake.

junkfood
05-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Another set of eyes here.
Hope it turns up soon.

Jake

AngryScientist
05-19-2011, 07:13 PM
terrible news. i will keep my eye out in the nyc area should the villain try and pull a fast one selling across the country. good luck!

Steve in SLO
05-19-2011, 07:19 PM
That just sucks...eyes out here in central Cal area.

Fixed
05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
sorry to hear this bad news that happened to such a great guy
i will pray and keep my fingers crossed for a fast return of your beautiful bike
butch

redir
05-19-2011, 08:14 PM
From some one who just had a nice bike stolen my self, I feel your pain. Good luck in the quest. I will add your specs to my craigs list and ebay search and hope for the best.

Hawker
05-19-2011, 08:29 PM
A good friend of mine had her motorcycle stolen. To make a long story short, she ended up getting it back a week later because a passer-by saw a sign she had put on a telephone pole and remembered he saw something red in the bushes nearby. Turns out the druggies who took it got scared and just threw it away less than a mile from where they took it.

Maybe some signs? Or keep cruising the area, looking in dumpsters, behind office buildings, etc.

Good luck to you.

wc1934
05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
That sucks - hope they catch the motherf@#$%.
Will you be covered by homeowners insurance?

John M
05-19-2011, 09:22 PM
A$$holes! I hate em'. Hope you get that bike back! Will keep an eye out in Seattle.

thwart
05-19-2011, 11:00 PM
That's really bad news. :crap: Hope it's a joy-rider and you find it abandoned close-by.

Monitor the local CL... I'll keep my eyes peeled online.

zmudshark
05-19-2011, 11:47 PM
I have alerts set for all the usual places, have notified the LBS's, police and pawns.
If anyone finds the bike, I promise to beat the perp to within a breath of life, let you finish him off, and do the time myself.

I will demand a jury of my peers.

I'm good with that.

There are not that many/any Mica White De Rosa Primato's out there in a 54.

leooooo
05-20-2011, 04:53 AM
I spend my free time at work surfing the usual (forum for sale's, ebay, craigs).
Will make it a point to only look for your bike.

zmudshark
05-20-2011, 07:34 AM
That's really bad news. :crap: Hope it's a joy-rider and you find it abandoned close-by.

Monitor the local CL... I'll keep my eyes peeled online.
Tom, not a joy ride, I got a look at the guy. targeted theft. I'm on my way to the flea market now.

aoe
05-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Good luck today. Also got eyes and google alerts out in the sf bay area.

wooly
05-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear about the theft. I had my Colnago C40 stolen from my garage in 2005. It was my favorite all time ride and I was more crushed that I should've been (trying to keep things in perspective). Good luck with the search!

Z3c
05-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I will keep an out here in Tucson.. I have often wondered if someone has a scheme of stealing in Tucson at U of A and selling in Phx at ASU; there are an amazing # of bikes stolen at both campuses.

dana_e
05-20-2011, 10:58 AM
my wife gives me ???? for having one road machine in the house

my take, the garage is never safe. I could try come advanced locking arrangement in the garage, I suppose

My Steve Rex got lifted with a u lock on it, but not locked down, I had garage open, was in the back for a couple minutes, I had it out there since showing the house.

I had gotten rid of all my bike stuff, down to one machine

Since then Ihave been re-building my stash and am up to roughly 3 bikes and one additional frame, plus extra components

I need to sell some off on here, but the event crushed me

it was over 10 years old and I had over 50k in documented miles, but was still my baby

sorry to hear about your loss

Fixed
05-20-2011, 12:24 PM
i have 3 bikes in the house and 3 in a tool shed in back . my old bikes stay inside and the newer ones in the shed .
cheers

William
05-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Sorry to hear that! That sucks. If you need some help on the beat down....even just for a short tag team rest before going back at it, you know who to call. ;)

I hope you get her back.

William

wooly
05-20-2011, 01:28 PM
This is starting to make me think that I need to secure my bikes better. I have them in the garage but live in a gated community. False sense of security will bite me in the a$$.

zmudshark
05-20-2011, 02:14 PM
This is starting to make me think that I need to secure my bikes better. I have them in the garage but live in a gated community. False sense of security will bite me in the a$$.Pretty much same thing here. Not gated, but small and private. I have an idea that the thief may be connected with a new neighbor, not that the neighbor had anything to do with it, but she had an open house last week, lots of people walking by, and I was working in the garage.

This guy grabbed it right off the hooks on the ceiling. I got a good look at who I think was the thief. I usually confront strangers in the complex, this time I didn't. :crap:

robertt8883
05-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Hope this helps you cant check every city on craigs list so go to www.searchtempest.com put in what your looking for with a 3500 mile radius its all the craigs list listing in the United States combined in one.

Good Luck

zmudshark
05-21-2011, 08:34 AM
AZ riders, keep your eyes open for this bike this weekend:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_yN4-Z85dhz0/TOQRpG84plI/AAAAAAAAEkE/JllSRGOlu40/s720/P1000447.JPG

Hawker
05-21-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure how many bad guys end up posting to Ebay or even to CL. I think I'd be checking the pawn shops regularly for the next month.

I wonder if you could provide a photo and info to the pawn shops in advance in case someone walks in with it? Or, do most pawn shops prefer to not know where items come from and therefore not to be trusted?

zmudshark
05-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure how many bad guys end up posting to Ebay or even to CL. I think I'd be checking the pawn shops regularly for the next month.

I wonder if you could provide a photo and info to the pawn shops in advance in case someone walks in with it? Or, do most pawn shops prefer to not know where items come from and therefore not to be trusted?

I've already contacted the Pawn shops, left a photo and contact info, and basically they told me that they receive a police report every evening with a list of stolen goods. They must hold a pawned item for 30 days before selling. They told me in AZ, only an idiot would attempt to pawn something like this. Photo ID, fingerprinted and photographed. It may be the only thing actually regulated in AZ.

rcnute
05-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Maybe this will help going forward.

zmudshark
05-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Updated photo with contact info:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_yN4-Z85dhz0/TOQRpG84plI/AAAAAAAAF1Y/y2D-SfPNwQU/s800/P1000447.JPG

Nelson99
05-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Makes me want to cry.

I don't have a primate frame to donate, but I'd be happy to offer parts if you need to rebuild to get back on the road.

-CEN

akelman
05-22-2011, 01:19 AM
I'd be happy to offer parts if you need to rebuild to get back on the road.

This is an excellent point. If it comes to that, I've got a bunch of stuff that I'll be happy to send your way. Just say the word.

zmudshark
05-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Guys, Thanks for the offers. I have insurance, and hopefully they will be fair.

I also have other bikes. The bummer is, that I searched for a minty Primato in my size for years. There aren't that many out there. The good thing is, I do have another. I would still like this one back, though. I plan on heading out to South Mtn this AM, to see if it shows up for Silent Sunday.

Eyes on the road is all I ask from my virtual and real friends out there.

cnighbor1
05-22-2011, 07:00 PM
1. file police report
2. Look for in craigslist all USA (I have a search engine if needed)
Freind in seattle got hers back for AZ after 6 months with better wheels

zmudshark
05-22-2011, 09:49 PM
The thing is, I searched everyday for over two years, looking for this particular model, in good condition, in my size. At least I got to ride it for awhile. The thief has no idea what he has

Also, being an old guy, I'm not on Facebook/Twitter or anything like that, if anyone would help spread the word socially, I'd be forever grateful.

For the record, every bike shop in Phoenix and Tucson has been sent a link to the info on the bike. I have visited many shops, and plan to hit more in the next few days. They all have a photo with contact info on it. I have alerts set up to notify me if any De Rosa is offered for sale on any of the usual places, anywhere in the world.

Google 'stolen de rosa primato' and see what comes up. This is though the concerns and efforts of you good people.

I have let the bike go, but would be thrilled if it shows up. If it does show, it will because of friends here and elsewhere in the cycling community.

Every one of you has a standing invite at my place for food and drinks and one hell of a good ride, anytime.

Cyclists are the nicest people in the world, bike thieves don't deserve any mercy. My experience has led me to believe that reward/punishment is right here on earth. Maybe yours is different, I don't question that.

I only know what I know, and I know that some of the best friends I have on this mortal coil, I met right here.

I am humbled and forever grateful for the support I've had.

Thanks, all.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_yN4-Z85dhz0/TOQRpG84plI/AAAAAAAAF1o/ipv2ds1Mevs/s800/P1000447.JPG

robertt8883
05-22-2011, 10:11 PM
There is also a sight called bike registry.com put the correct info in an it sends an alert through out the United States and if any info on the bike shows up it will notify the correct owner. I have used it any time I purchase a bike on Craigs list

zmudshark
05-23-2011, 07:29 PM
More exposure: http://drunkcyclist.com/2011/05/23/stolen-de-rosa-primato/

Hawker
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Zmudshark,

I'm hoping for good news soon for you. However, just ran across this one in your size. Not a Primoto but your color and one sweet looking frame.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150606442444#vi-content

Good luck.

zmudshark
05-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I had sent that to the insurance adjuster last week. Lesser model, but comparable condition.

A Primato would be a hefty premium over an SLX Professional, and not even in the same ballpark, ride-wise. I have an SLX Professional.

ultraman6970
05-26-2011, 07:08 PM
will you let us know what the adjuster said? Just curious :)

zmudshark
05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
will you let us know what the adjuster said? Just curious :)

It will most likely be a month before anything is settled, but I will update if there is any news.