PDA

View Full Version : shoes?

tch
06-16-2005, 08:46 AM
I need a bit of advice: I just started on a new pair of shoes which I picked up awhile ago on closeout... Northwave Evolutions. I tend to stick with things like shoes until they just don't work anymore because I don't like these kind of changes -- and here I am with an issue. The new shoes appear to fit fine but give me terrible "hot spot" pain under the balls of my feet. Any thoughts? I am trying out an aftermarket insole and will see how that works, but in the meantime I am wondering: is it possibly related to stiffness? The Northwaves have a carbon plate and the old DMT's are fiberglass soles. Is a stiffer sole more/less likely to "feel" hard? Is it only padding in the innersole?

I have loosened the straps and adjusted things; the shoes feel FINE for about 15 miles and then YOWWWW!! I am both looking for resolution for these shoes but also possible ideas to consider if I am forced to go out and buy different ones.....
Thanks.

djg
06-16-2005, 10:49 AM
I need a bit of advice: I just started on a new pair of shoes which I picked up awhile ago on closeout... Northwave Evolutions. I tend to stick with things like shoes until they just don't work anymore because I don't like these kind of changes -- and here I am with an issue. The new shoes appear to fit fine but give me terrible "hot spot" pain under the balls of my feet. Any thoughts? I am trying out an aftermarket insole and will see how that works, but in the meantime I am wondering: is it possibly related to stiffness? The Northwaves have a carbon plate and the old DMT's are fiberglass soles. Is a stiffer sole more/less likely to "feel" hard? Is it only padding in the innersole?

I have loosened the straps and adjusted things; the shoes feel FINE for about 15 miles and then YOWWWW!! I am both looking for resolution for these shoes but also possible ideas to consider if I am forced to go out and buy different ones.....
Thanks.

I have a pair of evolutions, which were my regular road shoes for a couple of years and have now been demoted to the role of spinning shoes. I really liked the evolutions, but had some of your problems initially. Two things helped. First, I switched to an aftermarket (superfeet) insole. Second, I moved the cleat just a bit, on someone's suggestion (back, slightly, I think). Together, they seemed to do it--the problems went away. I hope this works for you. If not, Performance has the DMT R3s on sale for 99 bucks, if that's of interest.