PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Park TW-2 Torque Wrench

bikerboy337
05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Anyone have one they dont need? Thanks in advance.

Derailer
05-19-2011, 10:50 AM
As a matter of fact, I do. Brand new. I'll confirm that it's a TW-2 when I get home tonight, but I'm 99% sure that's the case.

bikerboy337
05-19-2011, 11:09 AM
PM sent. Thanks.

sean
05-19-2011, 12:26 PM
If that doesn't work out, I really suggest looking into a Craftsman twist lock or similar. So much nicer and if you look on Craigslist you can find them cheap. I got mine for around $30.

Better grip, move leverage, more accurate.

PaulE
05-19-2011, 02:18 PM
If that doesn't work out, I really suggest looking into a Craftsman twist lock or similar. So much nicer and if you look on Craigslist you can find them cheap. I got mine for around $30.

Better grip, move leverage, more accurate.

+1 Sears had their click stop torque wrenches of all sizes on sale last week. They are on sale all the time. Turn the click stop back to zero when you're done using it so the torque accuracy/sensitivity is preserved.

sean
05-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Nice tip. Didn't know that.

Also, grab a 3/8th drive converter so you can use it with park and pedros cassette/bottom bracket tools.

mtnbke
05-20-2011, 03:36 AM
You don't want a Park torque wrench. You don't want a Craftsman click stop. Both are horribly horribly inaccurate.

Most torque wrenches are only accurate over the top 25% of their range. Most can't hold a calibration longer than around six months, and that's if they are always "dialed down" per their specifications after every use (which means in between bolts even). Don't even ask about a torque wrench that's been dropped farther than about three inches...

What you really want is a Precision Instruments torque wrench. They make "drop proof" wrenches (Split Beam Click Wrenches) as well as hyper precise (2% over entire range) Dial Type torque wrenches. Believe or not you can even buy 'em at Sears.com and have 'em shipped to your local Sears.

Snap-On has tried buying out Precision Instruments for years. They are privately held, and make the best damn torque wrenches in the business. In the military and for military contract work they have to constantly certify and calibrate torque wrenches, and after any "incident" (such as dropping the wrench) involving tool handling. Guess what wrench the guys use who spend all day certifying and calibrating torque wrenches? Even though Snap-On bought out another torque wrench company recently (CDI I believe) which now operates as a subsidiary of Snap-On after they couldn't purchase Precision, guess what happened after Snap-On dropped the rebranded Precision Instruments (in Snap-On world known as TORQOMETER) torque offering from their line? Customers stopped buying from them.

The punchline being that even after their spendy acquisition of CDI, and even with a full-line of CDI branded torque wrenches, Snap-On still felt compelled to go back to Precision Instruments to renegotiate to bring their wrenches rebranded back into the Snap-On line. Kind of funny actually. Well not really considering Precision Instruments actually invented the torque wrench in the first place.

You go ahead and get a Park torque wrench. However, just know its a mickey mouse tool...

I'd just educate myself and pick up a Precision Instruments tool that fit my needs off eBay by waiting for the right auction. You can get the Precision Instruments branded one or even a Snap-On TORQOMETER for cheaper than you'd pay for a Park tool, and you'll actually have a useable precision tool in your toolbox. It won't be blue, or be all "bicycley" but it will actually accurately do the job its intended to do which is more than I can say for any Park, Pedro's, Craftsman, or whatever spring tension design "click style" wrench that has ever been manufactured. Those types of tools aren't even worth the money it would cost to calibrate them periodically.