PDA

View Full Version : No more fancy wheels!!!

weisan
06-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Okay pals, this is your responsibility as a friend. The next time you see me shopping for some fancy wheels concocted by those mad scientists (Yes! I'm talkin'abot you, cees-pal) that needed a special spoke wrench to tune the freakin' wheels (both holes & no holes) or an non-existent spoke tensionometer that is accurate to the power of 4th degree....come yank me out of that shop and beat me over the head with an open-pro rim.

The only collateral damage that came out of the tumble I took a few weeks ago was a front cane creek chrono wheel that went out of whack. I ransacked the entire garage but couldn't find that stinkin' special wrench the manufacturer
sent along with the wheels when I ordered them. :crap:

Other than that...I am actually quite satisfied with the chrono wheels - v.cheap, rode em' for three years covered about 5~6K miles dirt roads, potholes, cattleguards, curb-jumps you-name-it, it still stayed true, but more importantly...the rim decals all nice and intact!!! :D

weisan

Serotta PETE
06-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Glad you are ok.....

:bike: Cane Breek can send you another tool. They are located in Hendersonvillve NC.

OldDog
06-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Weisan - no need for silly boutique wheels. Campy or Shimano hubs with Velocity Aerehead rims. Light enough. Durable. Cheap. Easy to true. Ride nice. Amazing how industry marketing magicians can get riders hyped up over the latest greatest gadget. Save your jingle for a wonderful custom steel frame and all will be well ;)

e-RICHIE
06-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Glad you are ok.....

:bike: Cane Breek can send you another tool. They are located in Hendersonvillve NC.

Pete-issimo is right.
also, we use their wheels exclusively for cross and
i must have 100 of those wrenchs here. lmk if you
want one and i'll tighten you up.
but first, bid high bid often on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7162689103
hey - thanks for reading.
e-RICHIE

weisan
06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
i must have 100 of those wrenchs here. lmk if you
want one and i'll tighten you up.
but first, bid high bid often on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7162689103
hey - thanks for reading.
e-RICHIE

Richie-sawa, you know...for the longest time I have refused to comply with your requests for under-the-table money to join in that ridiculous waiting list of yours...errr, actually I call it "lining up for my own funeral procession". But for the sake of my broken wheel, I may just make an exception...WHERE IS THE FREAKIN' "BUY IT NOW" PRICE??!! Don't make me hurt you...:butt:

I appreciate others who have chimed in with their thoughts, advice well taken.

weisan

cdmc
06-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Getting a replacement wrench locally is easy. Per Cane Creek:

"But if truing adjustments become necessary, it’s a simple job. A 3/16-inch open-end wrench (included with each wheelset) turns the nipples in much the same way as a conventional wheel—only at the hub. The hex nipples won’t round out. And because of the fewer spokes, simpler crossing patterns, and higher tension, Crono wheels are actually easier and faster to true. Effectively, you get more impact with every turn of the spoke wrench.

There is a little learning curve to it, but truing Cronos is intuitive and ultimately quicker than dealing with a conventional spoked wheel. One other thing about that 3/16-inch wrench: It’s common in U.S. hardware and auto-parts stores (same size as an ignition wrench)."

weisan
06-16-2005, 12:26 PM
cdmc-you-re-my-mc....thank you man for posting the information. Now I can go shop in Home Depot for a bicycle tool. What a revelation!?!

weisan

weisan
06-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Here's a quick followup to the problem I had previously with finding the special wrench for my Cane Creek chrono wheels....just got off the phone with their **Customer Service**, the voice on the other line: "No problem, sir, we will send one out to you promptly."

End of Story. :banana: