PDA

View Full Version : Race Across America

unwell_ultra
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
June 18th I will be racing a tandem on a eight tandem team in The Race Across America from Oceanside, California to Annapolis, Maryland. This is the 30th anniversary of RAAM (www.raceacrossamerica.org) the ultimate ride for an Ultra Cyclist. We will travel through 14 states and go a distance of 3,010 miles with a total elevation gain of 109,000 feet riding non-stop (one tandem will always be riding). Our goal is a sub six day crossing.

Team JDRF is racing to raise support and awareness for JDRF in the fight against type 1 diabetes. The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF} has awarded more than $1.5 billion to diabetes research, including more than $107 million last year. More than 80 percent of JDRF's expenditures directly support research and research-related education.

Our co-title sponsor, the Independent Grocers Alliance (IGA) GA was founded in 1926, bringing together independent grocers across the United States to ensure that the trusted, family-owned local grocery store remains strong in the face of growing chain competition. http://www.iga.com

We have been preparing and training for RAAM for almost a year. This race is costly with 14 crew, riders, and four support vans. As you can imagine the planning and supplies needed are numerous. With the cost of gas our estimated budget has soared. All donations are tax deductible and any donations would be greatly appreciated. We do have a Paypal button on our website http://www.teamjdrf.org and donations can be specified for individual riders. Checks can be made out to Team JDRF and mailed to me.

Currently Team JDRF is looking for a few more crew members and we are in need of one or two knowledgeable bicycle mechanics able to make repairs on a tandem. PM me for more details.

Thank you,
Wade “unwell_ultra” Baker

dekindy
05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I have no crew or mechanic experience but have a huge interest in RAAM.

Do you have crew information that you could email to me? Do you pay travel expenses, duties, etc.?

sc53
05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Very best of luck to you! My brother-in-law's brother (Randy Mouri, Chantilly VA :beer: ) is doing the solo race this year. I will be following the riders' blogs and wish you a safe and exciting transit across the USA.

unwell_ultra
05-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Seeking crew for Team JDRF – IGA for the Race Across America (RAAM), cross country bicycle race.

Need: volunteers to help us with the following: driving the follow vans, navigate the course, bicycle mechanics, massage therapists, nurses, film the team event.

When: June 16th thru the 29th, 2011

Where: Oceanside, Ca to Annapolis, MD

We will pay for our van transportation during the race and return, food during the race, hotel stays at start and finish, food during race, banquet tickets.

Why: Team JDRF’s mission is to raise money and awareness for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) to help find a cure for this disease.

Interested contact: Tim Skipper: (818) 355-4814

Email: timskipper@hotmail.com

Reference Web sites: www.teamjdrf.org www.raceacrossamerica.org