PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck

TAW
06-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Hopefully this question hasn't been asked before, and I searched the forums but didn't find anything. Anyone have a Shimano Flight Deck with erratic display? My gear indicator goes all over the place, and occassionally my display does nothing. It will log ride time for a while, then stop, then start again. I thought I'd replaced the battery fairly recently, but I'm not sure that this is the problem. Thanks for the help in advance.

dirtdigger88
06-15-2005, 04:48 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7411&highlight=Flite+Deck

Jason

by the way- where at in missouri?

TAW
06-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the link. I've had the Flight Deck for about 3 years and have never had this problem until recently. I did install a left DA shift lever (a replacement for a defective one) and I noticed on the link you gave me that someone mentioned a faulty placement of the plate, so I'll try that and see if that doesn't fix it. Like the problem in the link, my ride time will stop and start while I'm riding and the gear indicator usually malfunctions until I shift a few times. By the way, I live in Kansas City, you know, the town in Missouri with the crummy MLB team.

Spinsistah
06-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Jason, I had a flight deck on my last bike and had the same issue. I replaced the battery in the wheel sensor and everything was okay. If you recently replaced it, take it out and clean it, then put it back. You might also clean the electrodes on the computer and on the handle bar mount. Could be dirty and that can cause an erratic reading. Good luck.

csb
06-15-2005, 06:24 PM
check the spec for the transponder/pick-up distance.
road rattle can move the pcs. out of their correct relationships.

SoCalSteve
06-15-2005, 08:22 PM
One of 3 things...

1.) Battery in both the head and the pick up (replace and all is well)

2.) Tightness of screws on the shifters. Try tightening them more.

3.) The distance between the magnet and the pick up. You can get them very close without hurting anything.

Good luck!

BarryG
06-16-2005, 06:40 AM
I don't completely understand your description of your problem. Is it the gear indicator or is it the odometer? If speed continues to be displayed while the gear indicator goes haywire, you probably have poor electrical contact to the sensor that is screwed into the levers. It can be caused by screws that are either too tight or loose. Fold back the hood on the offending side, and with a small Phillips head screwdriver, adjust the two screws binding the sensor to the lever. If they seem tight, loosen them a little and vice versa.

Barry

TAW
06-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Barry,

It can be both. The gear indicator malfunctions while still displaying proper speed and ride time. Sometimes I have nothing, no speed, ride time, odometer, or gear indicator. Typically when just the gear indicator is messed up, it's usually the rear, and it indicates the wrong gear. When that happens, usually the ride time and speed are still functioning properly. At times, absolutely nothing is working; the gear indicator is blank and the display is on but not reading any information. At other times, everything is functioning fine. Thanks for the help. Your comment made me think that there maybe something wrong with the contact on my lever, and I may have a battery issue as well.

BarryG
06-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Before you do anything else, closely inspect the little wires going into the computer mount. I had a similar erratic set of symptoms and I found that two wires had become pinched and were making intermittent electrical connection. I was able to carefully splice the connections, solder them, and protect them (strain relief). A bike shop would've insisted on a new computer mount but I like fixing things anway.

Barry

TAW
06-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Well I wish I could report that there was something complicated that was wrong, but after replacing the battery, all seems to be fine. I've had the battery go dead before and didn't have these symptoms, but I guess this is my "low battery warning." Thanks for all the help and suggestions.