PDA

View Full Version : Notchy freehub

wss
05-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Installed a new 7800 series 10 speed cassette. My lock ring tool (Park) was tight engaging the splines of the lock ring. I used a rubber faced hammer to fully engage the splines of the lockring.
Disclaimer, I did not hammer it hard.
I am now getting resonance through my Tarmac's frame, when the wheel freewheels.
Did I screw up the freehub pawls? Hub is a 7700 series with 1500 miles.

Bob Loblaw
05-17-2011, 09:36 PM
That lockring should only be torqued to 40 N-m.

Were you hitting the end of the wrench with a hammer to snug it down?

wss
05-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I used a Pedros Chain wip cassette tool wrench to engage the 12T gear then the Park FR-1 tool into the lock ring before putting a skewer through the works to hold things in place.
I used the hammer to tap the Park tool that was tight going into the new lock ring.
I used a torque wrench set to 25 ft lbs. on the lock ring.

Bob Loblaw
05-18-2011, 07:41 AM
My guess is something is amiss that doesn't have anything to do with the tool/lockring interface. My first reaction would be to say the tool not fitting and the new sound are symptoms of something else. I have no idea what it might be, but in my experience that's how these things go.

I'd start by taking off the cassette and trying the tool in the lockring when it's not on the hub to make sure they fit together properly. Spin the freehub and listen. If it sounds normal, remove it, check the freehub bearings and pawls and go from there.

BL