PDA

View Full Version : Ti frame & Alu seat post question

bobswire
05-17-2011, 09:09 AM
On another forum I frequent a member asked for suggestions in freeing a seized seat post from a Ti frame.

My question is in regards to a reply in the thread about greasing a post and Ti frame.
It was suggested that greasing a post in a Ti frame won't have the same result as a steel frame and can still seize.
Is it better to clean out the frame and not grease the post or grease it as you would a steel frame ( which is what I do now).
I just never heard of this before.
Any Ti experts out there?

bambam
05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Not an expert but have Ti Bikes.
They have spcific anti-sieze grease for titanium bikes so steel and aluminum won't seize.

Your LBS should have it of you could probably get it at a hard ware store. Not sure if it is mecessary but a 7 bucks worth of greas is a lot cheaper than a Ti Frame.

I've had issues with steel cogs on aluminum hubs and tried the same grease this year hoping it works for that issue.

Black Dog
05-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Ti antiseize is the way to go. It contains tiny copper flakes that prevent the galvanic welding that Al and Ti will undergo. It is thicker than grease and will stay in place on parts as they are assembled. Since it is not as slick as grease parts do not have to be torqued down super tight to get them to stay put. Grease works but not as good as antiseize.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/product-images/Assembly_Lube_Anti_Seize_Family_th.jpg

bobswire
05-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Cool that'll work. Thanks BB and Daryl.

Daryl I have the Merlin just about set up to my liking just waiting on a Wound Up I ordered.

http://i54.tinypic.com/xc400h.jpg

Black Dog
05-17-2011, 10:26 AM
The wound up will be perfect. I have always liked their functional look. The performance speaks for itself. Make sure we get to see the finished bike.

hockeybike
05-17-2011, 10:34 AM
While we're on this topic, does anyone have experience with Alu heads up extenders in Ti frames? The potential for corrosion is what's stopping me from getting one and I figure that the press fit will just push any grease/anti-seize out.