PDA

View Full Version : Bicycling magazine redesign?

FlashUNC
05-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Anyone picked up the redesigned Bicycling since they've changed the logo?

I have to say....and this pains me....its halfway decent. There's still a lot of the usual Bicycling fare -- how to change a tire, 10 ways to lose 10 pounds, how to train for a century, etc -- but there were a lot of genuinely interesting articles. A nice column by Jens Voight on his oddly rabid following. A Jeremy Dunn piece about riding Mt. Baldy.

I read it through and finished a bit confused. I mean, its not that bad, and I really liked parts of it, but its Bicycling for Pete's sake. I would have more believed the neighbor's cat and dog struck up a deep, romantic bond.

But there it is. Bicycling. Really not all that bad.

Louis
05-16-2011, 09:25 PM
What's Bicycling Magazine?

Ok, ok, I know it's fashionable to hate it, but I can only stand one or two issues a year. Anything beyond that is too much repetition. (or at least it used to be a long time ago, when I allowed my subscription to lapse, and I haven't seen a whole lot of improvement when I've picked it up recently in newsstands in airports)

mike p
05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
It has gotten better and oh yeah it dosen't cost ten bucks!

Mike

dd74
05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
They're growing up. They have real features now. I like it. It's leagues better than the last editor who stepped down in part due to the Floyd Landis debacle.

tuxbailey
05-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I am receiving mine free from the PB membership. Not too bad.

Fixed
05-16-2011, 10:19 PM
i used to read it cover to cover along with winning

years ago
cheers

rounder
05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Loved Winning magazine. I went to the start of a Tour de Pont stage one year with my magazine because I was just carrying it around and reading it. Got autographs on the mag from Lance, Bobby Julich and George Hincapie

wtex
05-16-2011, 10:38 PM
It's different, pretty good. Needs better copy editing, some obvious typos. Philly article quite good.

Kontact
05-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I remember 20 years ago when they announced that they were changing the format to shorter, fast reading mini-articles. I stopped reading after that.

Are they changing back? If so, good.

Germany_chris
05-17-2011, 01:55 AM
I like the redesign, but still can't get into the content.

alexstar
05-17-2011, 02:09 AM
After I pulled this issue out of the mailbox, the resubscription card actually lingered in my hand for a moment before making its way to the bin. We'll see how the next few issues go, but really, $12 a year for some semi-decent reading material is reasonable. I'll probably resubscribe... Eventually.

veloduffer
05-17-2011, 07:22 AM
I picked one up at the newstand for my train ride home. Pleasantly surprised by the positive changes- some real articles in which they use punctuation. :p

It's a move in the right direction but I'm not ready to be a regular subscriber. FWIW, the only two cycling publications that I subscribe to are Rouleur and Bicycle Quarterly.

LesMiner
05-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I have been a subscriber to Bicycling off and on for the 25 years or so. Lots of change. They always seem to go for general interest to get the biggest circulation. I do remember that they use to do a massive tire rating of about every brand available, rolling resistance and other attributes. Now they do the massive review of many brands of bikes, really more like marketing. I do find the bike reviews are not bad. When I get the overwhelming consumer itch to buy a bike, my own test rides seem to coincide with their review. Of course I rarely buy anything so I never get a long term impression. Other esoteric reviews people may rave about but for me they seem to be like premium coffee descriptions. I can not really tell any difference.