PDA

View Full Version : Staggered tire sizes?

Mike748
05-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Does anyone run a larger tire on the back than the front? Is there an advantage to this? I'm considering running a 25c rear / 23c front (or even 28c/25c) at roughly equal tire pressures, instead of running same size/staggered pressure. Fork clearance limits my front size but rear has more room.

Pete Serotta
05-16-2011, 11:30 AM
with staggered sizes.

I do not know the brand of bike nor tires. Also what type riding and terrain are you mostly doing? Giving any more specifics is difficult without that type of info.

additionally why are you thinking of staggers or even width of that size.

SORRY I COULD NOT ASSIST MORE ON THIS NOTE
PETE

DRZRM
05-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Makes sense to me, you want to run larger wheels for comfort, but your fork limits the size up front, but because more of your weight sits on the back wheel (thus they wear faster) you can at least take advantage of a larger tire in back. But no, I've never done it, 25 across the board on my road frames.

Pete, are you asking why run a tire larger than 23? If you have not tried it maybe you should, they really feel better than skinny tires, I wish I could fit 28s onto my road frame (well theoretically anyway).

Pete Serotta
05-16-2011, 11:45 AM
two years ago when I ruined 2 of the victoria's on one of the mtn passes in RTR. Brett the distributor for CONTI was in the booth next to us and convinced me. He was right for my riding,

Now I use as a primary the 23s here or Raleigh bikes.... When I go traveling the 25s are first choice.

Some bikes have a hard time even with the 25mm in the front. Serotta F1 fork was one that some 25s did not clear. In the rear, you have to make sure they have clearance.... (a 28 or especially a 32 mayl not clear)

Makes sense to me, you want to run larger wheels for comfort, but your fork limits the size up front, but because more of your weight sits on the back wheel (thus they wear faster) you can at least take advantage of a larger tire in back. But no, I've never done it, 25 across the board on my road frames.

Pete, are you asking why run a tire larger than 23? If you have not tried it maybe you should, they really feel better than skinny tires, I wish I could fit 28s onto my road frame (well theoretically anyway).

AngryScientist
05-16-2011, 11:50 AM
bear in mind that tires vary pretty widely in width regardless of nominal size.

that said, i'm running a 25c tire on the rear of my commuter fixed gear with a 23 in front. lower pressure in the rear though. rides nice and smooth.

dvancleve
05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I was all set to do this, using Michelin Pro Race 23 & 25s, but then (foolishly) sold the bike. A 25mm Michelin left VERY little wiggle room in the fork, but had plenty of space in back...

Doug

Does anyone run a larger tire on the back than the front? Is there an advantage to this? I'm considering running a 25c rear / 23c front (or even 28c/25c) at roughly equal tire pressures, instead of running same size/staggered pressure. Fork clearance limits my front size but rear has more room.

InspectorGadget
05-16-2011, 12:40 PM
They may not be as wide as you like, but Continental (http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/race/racetyres/gp_attack_force/gpattackforce_en.html) offers the GP Attack and GP Force as a paired set with a 22mm front and 24mm rear.

Running staggered tires makes sense to Continental, so why not.

chuckred
05-16-2011, 02:03 PM

2.4 in front, 2.2 in the back. Sort of a backwards mullet.

fourflys
05-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Michelin sells a set of staggered tires called the Optimum or something like that... I think they are 23 in front and 25 in back, the Giant Defy bikes come with them I think... I say just use 25's front and back...

BTW- I'm really liking the Ultremo 25's I just got off Bonktown... they fell as good as the 25 (really 27mm) Pro Race 2's I replaced with them...

Mike748
05-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys. Pete, I'm thinking of my Ottrott. I can fit a 28 on the back no problem, but the front is limited to a 23 or a narrow 25 with the F1 fork. Main purpose as suggested is improved comfort especially over the local chip seal. I've got a Kirk coming soon which won't ever see anything narrower than a 28, but I expect I'll still want to ride the other bikes now and then.

Pete Serotta
05-16-2011, 02:55 PM
For the front try around 90 and highest at 100

Rear on Ottrott a 25 or 28 at 110 lbs

If you are higher than these is will be less rough

The Kirk is a nice frame for the rougher roads and if Kirk designed for the wider tires (and if down the road you might want fenders let him know) :) :) will be NICE!!!!

Kontact
05-16-2011, 03:57 PM
It seems like a rather minor improvement to a bike. One potential minor downside is that it changes your fork trail.

Minorly. ;)

bfd
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
2.4 in front, 2.2 in the back. Sort of a backwards mullet.

Not that odd, Sheldon Brown actually preferred it:

Wider Front, Narrower Rear
A wider front tire makes sense in many applications, however, when handling and ride comfort are considered. A wider tire will generally provide better cornering traction than a narrower one, assuming appropriate inflation pressure.

A wider tire also provides superior shock absorbency. I personally prefer a slightly wider tire in front, since I suffer from some wrist discomfort on occasion.

link: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#mixing

fourflys
05-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Not that odd, Sheldon Brown actually preferred it:

Wider Front, Narrower Rear
A wider front tire makes sense in many applications, however, when handling and ride comfort are considered. A wider tire will generally provide better cornering traction than a narrower one, assuming appropriate inflation pressure.

A wider tire also provides superior shock absorbency. I personally prefer a slightly wider tire in front, since I suffer from some wrist discomfort on occasion.

link: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#mixing

so, why not go the same on both ends since the front is usually the deciding factor on width?

BTW- this is the line of thinking on crosscountry mtn biking it seems as well... wider in the front for cornering traction, maybe a little narrower in the back for speed...

toaster
05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Why not?

More weight on rear than front, makes perfect sense!

Ken C
05-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Michelin sells a set of staggered tires called the Optimum or something like that... I think they are 23 in front and 25 in back, the Giant Defy bikes come with them I think... I say just use 25's front and back...

BTW- I'm really liking the Ultremo 25's I just got off Bonktown... they fell as good as the 25 (really 27mm) Pro Race 2's I replaced with them...

Optimums are 25mm front and back. The difference in the two tires is the tread compaound. The front is more grippy and the back is designed to wear longer I believe.

Mike748
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
For the front try around 90 and highest at 100

Rear on Ottrott a 25 or 28 at 110 lbs

If you are higher than these is will be less rough

The Kirk is a nice frame for the rougher roads and if Kirk designed for the wider tires (and if down the road you might want fenders let him know) :) :) will be NICE!!!!

Pete, I currently run 100F/110R with 23's on the Ottrott and its ok on all but the worst roads.

My Kirk has fenders and is designed for wider tires. Did not do Terraplane as David thought I would be on the edge of getting value from it with the wider tires/my weight/type of riding I do. And I LOVE his sidetack straight seat stays. Its currently in queue with Joe.

fourflys
05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Optimums are 25mm front and back. The difference in the two tires is the tread compaound. The front is more grippy and the back is designed to wear longer I believe.

ahh, that's right... I was thinking of the Conti's I think (force/attack)...

thanks!

RFC
05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Although most of my road bikes have high pressure 23's (160 psi), I have gotten over my instinctive aversion to wider tires on road bikes. Here is my RB-1 with Gatorskin 28's (a true 28), which will roll all day over any pavement.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0066r4.jpg