PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville, FL for a week - what should I rent?

jchasse
05-15-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm spending most of next week and weekend in Gainesville, FL and plan on renting a bike. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to rent a road bike or a mountain bike? I was thinking road, since during the week my riding will be limited to 60-90 minutes before work. But the shop i talked to suggested a 29'er MTB and mentioned a local area with 36 miles of singletrack...

Anyone familiar with the area have a strong suggestion for a guy who could be happy riding on or off-road?

Fixed
05-15-2011, 10:14 AM
road bike
imho
it is already hot in fla.
road bike is cooler
cheers

that guy
05-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I lived in Tampa for seven years.

The only real mountain biking in Florida is at the Santos trails near Ocala. It would be fun for a day or two, but it's nothing to write home about. Plus it will take you 30-60 minutes to drive there.

The road scene in north Florida is very big. Search for some Gainesville Cycling clubs and the U of Florida cycling team web sites for more. Somewhere there is a map of the Horse Farm 100 that is a beautiful ride and there are plenty of other century routes around town.

I vote road. :bike:

firerescuefin
05-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Decent riding in an around G'ville...better when you get outside of it.There are some rails to trails paths...one about 15 miles in length (hawthorne trail, which is about 10 minute drive from campus). Good news for you is that graduation just took place, so the majority of the 45K students are not in town.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/gainesville-hawthorne/

Bike Route was the best shop there when I was in school. They should be able to tell you about non school organized rides.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bike-Route-of-Gainesville-Florida/113877248071

JonB
05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
MTB right now is frustrating. The trails are slick due to a lack of rain, which makes cornering difficult. On top of that, horseflies are about to make their annual appearance.

For road cycling in Gainesville, check with the local shops and the local club for various weeknight/weekend rides.

www.gccfla.org