PDA

View Full Version : I could have had a twin to my Legend

dekindy
05-15-2011, 08:58 AM
This past weekend I was bidding on Ebay for a Legend with the exact same dimensions and color scheme as my naked Legend SE ST and it included an F3 fork identical to mine and Chris King headset. I quit bidding at a little over $1,300 and it went for only slightly more than that. It was in top notch condition.

There was only one other bidder and I guess I did not want it bad enough to bid higher. I was thinking that it would be nice to have a backup Legend exactly like my primary bike but decided that my cracked drive side dropout was probably or hopefully a one-time event. And at that Serotta had it back to me in less than 3 weeks so I quess I could make do for a few weeks with the steel Serotta Colorado that I purchased from a forum member to be used as a trainer/backup bike.

What does anybody think? Hint, make me feel better because I have mixed feelings about this. What happens if my bike gets stolen or other catastrophe? I really would not want to spend the full retail price to purchase a new one and would have to go with a lesser frame?

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2011, 09:38 AM
. . . twins are always better . . . or so I've been told--ahem. :rolleyes:

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2011, 09:39 AM
I look at each bike as an individual and having two exactly the same doesn't do a lot for me. Plenty of other bikes out there that you could also get for a good price and use as a backup.

BBD

gone
05-15-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm sort of in agreement with Dave but not completely. I have two Legends but they aren't identical. One is an ST, one is not. Geometries are slightly different. One has an F1 fork, the other an F3. See my recent post in the gallery for pics of both bikes.

Love the ST since I've got tens of thousands of miles on it. I've only done a few hundred on the other, including one century. It's similar enough that I think I'll love it after I've ridden it more. It's different enough to cause me to choose one over the other on a given day.

I don't know that I'd have gone for another Legend that was exactly the same simply to have a backup.

Lifelover
05-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I look at each bike as an individual and having two exactly the same doesn't do a lot for me. Plenty of other bikes out there that you could also get for a good price and use as a backup.

BBD
On rare occasions BBD is spot on. This is one of them. :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2011, 11:17 AM

I will bronze THIS post, too, and display it with Rugby's right next to my crashed helmet in my living/bike room!

I think I should go buy lottery tickets today! . . . :rolleyes: ;)

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Were you referring to my FIRST post in this thread or to my SECOND post? :eek: :D

BBD

Lifelover
05-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Were you referring to my FIRST post in this thread or to my SECOND post? :eek: :D

BBD
Both!