PDA

View Full Version : A Lousy Stinkin Question

Louis
06-14-2005, 11:53 PM
How often do you wash your gloves? I don’t know why, maybe it’s because I sweat more in the summer, or maybe it’s because they don’t really dry out between rides, but at this time of year my gloves stink worse than just about anything out there. They reek big time.

I don’t like to wash them too often, because I figure it can’t be good for the leather, but I have to find a solution to this, because it is bad. The only other thing I’ve thought of is to use two pairs, and alternate, to give them more time to dry out, but I’m not sure that will work. Any ideas?

Stinky in St Louis

Frank
06-15-2005, 12:29 AM
and use them all. I buy them when Performance has them on sale, so they are pretty cheap.

When I finish a ride, I take my gloves off and put them in a mesh bag I have hanging in the garage. When I am down to just a couple of clean pairs left, I wash the dirty ones in the bag in cold water, delicate cycle and then dry them on fluff air in the dryer.

The gloves seem to last a lot longer for me when I don't wear them day after day and are certainly fresher.

bcm119
06-15-2005, 01:05 AM
I wash my gloves about 3 times per year. There are times when smelling fresh is important...but riding your bike is not one of them. :)

cs124
06-15-2005, 02:03 AM
2 cheap pairs, alternate, wash 'em every couple of rides, throw 'em out when they get ratty, can't stand smelly gloves

William
06-15-2005, 03:05 AM
I wash gloves roughly once a week. In between I spritz down after every ride with a spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol & water (50/50). Hang dry.
I'll also spritz the inside of my helmet, straps, & cycling cap as well after every ride.

No more stink. :no:

William

Ray
06-15-2005, 05:54 AM
I buy about 4-5 pair of the cheap Performance old school cotton crochet gloves for about $7 per pair when they're on sale once a year. I hang 'em up on my pegboard and use them sequentially, so it's rare that a set gets used more than once per week, and they dry out very well between uses. By the end of the season, they start getting sort of ratty so I replace them when they go on sale. I've tried washing them, but found that the leather got really funky and the padding never really felt right afterwards. Never had any luck washing expensive or cheap gloves and the cheap ones feel just as comfortable to me, so I go cheap and just chuck 'em once a year.

-Ray

Needs Help
06-15-2005, 06:24 AM
I don’t like to wash them too often, because I figure it can’t be good for the leather, but I have to find a solution to this, because it is bad. The only other thing I’ve thought of is to use two pairs, and alternate, to give them more time to dry out, but I’m not sure that will work. Any ideas?

Stinky in St Louis
I'm like William: I wash my gloves every week. I have 3 or 4 pairs with some kind of synthetic leather in the palms, and I've had this batch for around 5 years and the leather looks as good as the day I bought them. I wash them in Woolite and hang dry.

I also wash my helmet after most rides--I don't like the way salt encrusted straps feel.

christian
06-15-2005, 06:31 AM
You're supposed to wash gloves? Interesting.

I buy a new pair, oh, once a season. I'm a dirty nasty person.

- Christian

Kevan
06-15-2005, 06:48 AM
or put them in the washer with the little lady's delicates, then hang'm on the clothesline.

They ain't meant to last f'rever ya know, but there's something to that rotten smell as you're backhanding a runny nose... smells like a soft cheese, french.

Ginger
06-15-2005, 06:57 AM
Kevan...have you told your little lady that you've been putting your gloves with velcro in with her delicates. Do You KNOW what velcro does to a ladies delicates?

BAD BAD KEVAN!

Her delicates probably cost more than your stinky old gloves. Treat them nicely.

Kevan
06-15-2005, 07:00 AM
I thought that was caused from saddle wear.

Oops!

vaxn8r
06-15-2005, 11:02 AM
First of all....why wear gloves? I usually don't. Is that akin to not wearing a helmet???

Anyway, I wash my gloves if I use them. How can you not? You wash your shorts right? Jerseys right? Gloves are the worst stink offenders. Sweat. Snot. What have you...

I can't stand stink on a bike, mine or someone else's.

Grant McLean
06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I've been using the Campagnolo "comfort temp" gloves the last couple of seasons. There is no leather in them. They wash very nicely, dry very quickly. The colour doesn't seem to fade. I have a few pair, and rotate them like some others have said.

Grant

MartyE
06-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Generally once a week with the other cycling togs.
Jerseys, bibs etc. go in Lingerie bag, gloves don't.

They get soaked riding, whats a little more water ?

pjm
06-15-2005, 12:12 PM
I throw 'em right in the washer and dryer with the rest of my laundry and they do just fine. Pearl White-Line gloves. I usually replace them every year.
I clean the helmet pads and straps in the sink with some dish washing liquid. Don't put the helmet in the dryer, its really noisy.

William
06-15-2005, 12:29 PM
...Don't put the helmet in the dryer, its really noisy.

Yeah, and it melts too. :eek:

William (who is no longer allowed to do laundry :rolleyes: )

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

hypnospin
06-16-2005, 03:10 AM
mine are the recipients of fluid discharge, every ride. but once i hadda pair of the first generation pearl izumi gel gloves, they were labled "do not wash", when i rebelled and did, they turned to weird lumpy mush. hmm, alot like the terry portions of the gloves i'm typing in now...

How often do you wash your gloves? I don’t know time to dry out, but I’m not sure that will work. Any ideas?

Stinky in St Louis

davids
06-16-2005, 08:51 AM
After most rides, my gloves are... snot clean. If I didn't wash them regularly, I wouldn't want to put my hands in them, much less wipe my nose on them!

I have a variety of Performance gloves, mostly their Century model. I also have their Neoprene winter gloves (which I wore this morning!:( ) They all stand up well to machine washing and air drying.

Kevan
06-16-2005, 08:54 AM
nm

PaulE
06-16-2005, 09:46 AM
the last two generations of Pearl Izumi gel lite gloves do just fine in the washing machine with air drying afterwards.

As for velcro in the washing machine, I always close the two sides of any velcro on any items I put in the wash, and zip any zippers closed to reduce the chances of those items wrecking something else in the wash.

Bruce
06-16-2005, 04:33 PM
I wash my gloves ever few weeks in hot riding weather. Just plain water from the tap. Don't use soap, or it will remove the natural oils in the leather. Squeeze as much water as you can get out of them without ringing, reshape, and hang outside to dry. This keeps them fairly fresh. If you really soak them after a ride, this is the best time to wash them, as they are already wet.

shaq-d
06-16-2005, 07:50 PM
First of all....why wear gloves? I usually don't. Is that akin to not wearing a helmet???

what the...well, wait till u crash. if u've already crashed and still don't wear gloves... brave boy.

sd

Peter
06-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Don't wash them. Take them in the shower with you, get them wet, squeeze them out and toss them over the shower curtain to land on the floor and wait for you to finish showering. Don't forget to close the toilet lid! Then hang them to dry. Should take less than 30 seconds.

Letting them dry in the sun works well, too, as sunlight will kill germs and keep odors at bay.

Ginger
06-16-2005, 09:23 PM
My gloves don't stink.
If they do start to stink, I throw them out.
Because once they're funky, you aint' never gonna get that funk out!

I use white bar tape too...