PDA

View Full Version : Help! No cable guide screw hole...

NRRider
05-14-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm building up the Strong I bought on the forum a few months ago. The BB has no hole for the screw to hold the cable guide, and there is no built-in cable guide.

What does one do in this situation, assuming I don't have the tools to drill and tap a screw hole?

bicycletricycle
05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
double stick tape, im not joking, 3M vhb tape is used to hold siding on skyscrapers. Home depot has a cheaper version of it sold under the scotch brand-

http://www.environmentallights.com/products/12572/411DC?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

it is is really good stuff

Louis
05-14-2011, 05:39 PM
I would call Carl. He's a super nice guy.

eddief
05-14-2011, 05:43 PM
drill, tap, screw, done.

maybe even drill, self tap scerw, done.

Louis
05-14-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't like holes if there's a way to do something without a hole (esp. if the frame is steel) but in this case having a hole in the BB shell allows you to better drain the frame after a bad rain ride.

NRRider
05-14-2011, 05:47 PM
double stick tape, im not joking, 3M vhb tape is used to hold siding on skyscrapers. Home depot has a cheaper version of it sold under the scotch brand-

http://www.environmentallights.com/products/12572/411DC?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

Thanks. I Googled it after I posted (should have done that first) and came up with similar suggestions, as well as a suggestion to use GOOP.

I would call Carl. He's a super nice guy.
I already spoke to him about this frame once. It's old (one of his very early frames). Don't want to bug him for something like this. Thanks though.

drill, tap, screw, done.

maybe even drill, self tap scerw, done.
I like the self-tapping screw idea, but may give the tape or GOOP idea a try first. Thanks!

NRRider
05-14-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't like holes if there's a way to do something without a hole (esp. if the frame is steel) but in this case having a hole in the BB shell allows you to better drain the frame after a bad rain ride.
Sorry, I'm in Los Angeles. What is this "bad rain ride" you speak of?
But seriously, I'm building this up to use primarily on the trainer. I know, I should also be asking what a trainer is....

Louis
05-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Sorry, I'm in Los Angeles. What is this "bad rain ride" you speak of?

:) :) :)

Craig Ryan
05-14-2011, 07:09 PM
What does one do in this situation, assuming I don't have the tools to drill and tap a screw hole?

LBS

oldpotatoe
05-15-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm building up the Strong I bought on the forum a few months ago. The BB has no hole for the screw to hold the cable guide, and there is no built-in cable guide.

I'd say, do the correct thing and take it to a decent bike shop to have them drill and tap a hole. Why doesn't it have a hole?

NRRider
05-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd say, do the correct thing and take it to a decent bike shop to have them drill and tap a hole. Why doesn't it have a hole?
I don't know. For all I know this was a prototype or practice frame for him.

The other odd thing was I had to grind away some tubes that were protruding into the BB area in order to fit the Octalink BB. There were small metal tubes coming from the chainstays and downtube that protruded a few mm into the BB. That worked fine.

I think I may use the drill/self-tapping screw idea.

chismog
05-15-2011, 11:33 AM
No chance those tubes in the BB were internal cable guides, right?

NRRider
05-15-2011, 11:42 AM
No chance those tubes in the BB were internal cable guides, right?
Could have been originally, but the frame has cable stops at the head tube/down tube junction (the stops for the shift housing), so if they were for internal routing then he changed direction at some point. Also, there are no holes for the cables to enter the down tube.

martinrjensen
05-15-2011, 11:45 AM
You have the tools to grind inside the bottom bracket but not drill a hole and run a tap through it? time to go shopping at Lowes....I don't know. For all I know this was a prototype or practice frame for him.

The other odd thing was I had to grind away some tubes that were protruding into the BB area in order to fit the Octalink BB. There were small metal tubes coming from the chainstays and downtube that protruded a few mm into the BB. That worked fine.

I think I may use the drill/self-tapping screw idea.

NRRider
05-15-2011, 11:48 AM
You have the tools to grind inside the bottom bracket but not drill a hole and run a tap through it? time to go shopping at Lowes....
Grind inside the BB=Dremel. Pretty simple.
Drill and run a tap=have to buy a tapping kit, right or no?

Louis
05-15-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a hard enough time starting a hole on a flat surface, let alone convex BB shell. Be sure you use a nail or punch to dimple the surface so the bit doesn't wander all over the place.

martinrjensen
05-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Assuming you have a drill motor, you would need to buy the proper tap and drill bit so yes . If a self tapping screw would work (probably) then all you would need was the proper sized drill bit plus of course the self tapping screw. Again, a trip to Lowes. Double sided tape sounds like a decent enough idea. There will rarely "not" be pressure on this plate helping to hold it in pace and if it doesn't work, then you progress on to plan B (tapping of some sort)Grind inside the BB=Dremel. Pretty simple.
Drill and run a tap=have to buy a tapping kit, right or no?

Louis
05-15-2011, 02:31 PM
If rain / draining the BB area is not an issue I would just thread the cables through and let them hold the guide in place. With nothing other than the cables holding it in there's still at least a 50-50 chance that the guide will remain in place just perfectly. That's worked for me in the past at least once. If that did not work I would use something really basic like a small amount of glue. No sense in drilling a hole if you don't really need one. It's not like this is a heavily loaded part.

NRRider
05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
If rain / draining the BB area is not an issue I would just thread the cables through and let them hold the guide in place. With nothing other than the cables holding it in there's still at least a 50-50 chance that the guide will remain in place just perfectly. That's worked for me in the past at least once. If that did not work I would use something really basic like a small amount of glue. No sense in drilling a hole if you don't really need one. It's not like this is a heavily loaded part.
Yeah I was thinking about that too. Anyone know of a glue that would hold yet not destroy the BB if I needed to remove the cable guide?

Shoeman
05-15-2011, 02:44 PM

Used this method on my C-Dale that was missing its cable guide. Was able to find the guide at LBS but they didn't have the attaching pin. Mechanic told me to try this method (said he used it before) and it works perfect. The cables will when attached to the derailuers actually hold the guide in place with the tension.

endosch2
05-15-2011, 05:31 PM
I would use the dual sided tape suggestion - I rode a bike for years that where the guide was just held in there by the cables.

mpetry
05-15-2011, 07:07 PM
a dollop of JB weld would work too, probably would last a lifetime.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

roydyates
05-15-2011, 10:27 PM
I removed the screw from a cable guide after a rainy ride in case there was any water in the BB. A few months later, I noticed that I never put the screw back. the pressure applied by the cables kept the cable guide in place. While I wouldn't recommend this, it does convince me that the double sided tape solution will be more than fine.