PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Handlebars

GuyGadois
05-14-2011, 05:30 PM
When shipping CONUS, what is the best way to ship handlebars? How best to pack them and how much does it typically cost? I have a few I would like to pass on but I am afraid it will cost more to ship then they are worth.

Thanks,

Gadois

kramnnim
05-14-2011, 07:06 PM
A weirdly shaped box...or a slightly more normal shaped box trimmed down. Padded with those inflated pouches of air saved from Amazon shipments.

akelman
05-14-2011, 07:16 PM
When shipping CONUS, what is the best way to ship handlebars? How best to pack them and how much does it typically cost? I have a few I would like to pass on but I am afraid it will cost more to ship then they are worth.

Thanks,

Gadois

I build a triangular box that just fits the bars. If I'm really careful, shipping runs around $10 via USPS Priority (I'm pretty sure the difference between Priority and Parcel Post is ~$1).

yakstone
05-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Bubble wrapped and in the appropriate sizezed box. Shipping shouldn't be more than $15.

PaulE
05-14-2011, 07:30 PM
There is a priority mail box at the post office that is almost the right size for a handlebar, just not quite enough. Use 2 of these boxes overlapped and tape them together. Most post offices will not accept that package, they'll tell you it's not allowed, although a handlebar I bought from Rocky Mtn. Cycles on eBay was delivered to me that way by the post office. So wrap the package up with brown paper from a cut up grocery store bag and any post office will take it. No bubble wrap or airbags required. Should cost about $8 for first class mail in the continental US.

regularguy412
05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Bubble wrapped and in the appropriate sizezed box. Shipping shouldn't be more than $15.

I just purchased and received 2 sets of aluminum Cinelli bars -- 42 cm. They were shipped in just a basic, rectangular box-- wrapped in bubble wrap and the extra space filled with newspaper-type filler. No damage at all. Shipping was via USPS.

Mike in AR:beer: