PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cars - I've finally found my hatchback.

Louis
05-14-2011, 04:51 PM
OK, maybe not - unless I come across an extra $350,000 in the near future.

Just the same, 660 hp on the hilly, curvy roads around here would be fun.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/business/15ferrari.html) to NTY story.

eddief
05-14-2011, 05:20 PM
just your style.

Louis
05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
A couple more years? By then I'll be up to 300k miles. But I do like that Alfa. (it looks even better from the back than it does from the front)

I've decide that next spring is my deadline. I don't think anything magical will be out before then, but I can't drive the Integra forever.

DavidR
05-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Louis I saw a little two door Honda hatchback the other night and thought of you. It was new but I have not looked up what model it was. Seemed like what you were looking for.

Louis
05-14-2011, 09:44 PM
But did it have 660 hp? :p

I didn't know that Honda had a 2-dr hatch currently in production. I've have to look into it. Thanks.

Louis I saw a little two door Honda hatchback the other night and thought of you. It was new but I have not looked up what model it was. Seemed like what you were looking for.

DavidR
05-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Doesn't have the hp but Im sure it has decent mpg! It's called the Honda cr-z. I assume it's a hatchback.

Louis
05-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Doesn't have the hp but Im sure it has decent mpg! It's called the Honda cr-z. I assume it's a hatchback.

Oh, OK. I remember now. It's a hybrid. Very nifty looking, but only so-so reviews. The gas mileage is not a whole lot better than what I'm getting now (> 35).

markie
05-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I cant remember why you do not like the Mini S.

I am sure I posted about how I love mine.

My wife and I are a one car family and I keep looking at getting another car for us, but I cannot find anything I want more than another Mini.

Louis
05-14-2011, 11:49 PM
I cant remember why you do not like the Mini S.

I wouldn't say that I don't like them. I think they look neat. I do have concerns about how much space they have in back (will a 61 ST frame fit?) and last I checked, reliability wasn't that great.

Having said, that, they are on my list to test-drive.

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2011, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't say that I don't like them. I think they look neat. I do have concerns about how much space they have in back (will a 61 ST frame fit?) and last I checked, reliability wasn't that great.

Having said, that, they are on my list to test-drive.

Just that little BIT bigger inside.

BBD

palincss
05-15-2011, 07:43 AM

I believe reliability has been an issue with those Alfas as well. If you like Acura and you want to be sure a large bike will fit in back, consider the new Acura wagon. Not 600 hp, of course, but then, who needs 600 hp?

Karin Kirk
05-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Louis,

I can't remember - have you looked at the VW TDIs? The Jetta wagon looks like a great high-mpg bike carrier.

And +1 to the Mini Clubman. You'd have to bring your bike to test out the fit though.

Ahneida Ride
05-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Louis

Has leather interior ! :eek: :eek:

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2011, 09:31 AM
. . . Not 600 hp, of course, but then, who needs 600 hp?

MORE POWER!!!

eddief
05-15-2011, 09:57 AM
i was just browsing and surprised to see the less expensive ones come in at about $22K.

rounder
05-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I know that you are not interested in a car that won't hold your bike but there is a new Ferrari that looks like it would get over 50 mpg.

http://www.gizmag.com/smart-body-kits-the-smorsche-smerrari-smorvette-and-smamborghini/10442/picture/58612/

dnades
05-15-2011, 02:12 PM
the hyundai sheet metal is nice. I wonder how their mechanicals are.

firerescuefin
05-15-2011, 02:22 PM
the hyundai sheet metal is nice. I wonder how their mechanicals are.

B-inlaw just got one (Sporty model with V-6 and Brembos)....very nice, easy to drive fast (not intimidating). I drove it last weekend while he was out of town.

that guy
05-15-2011, 02:34 PM
http://www.communityofsweden.com/EPiServerCommunity/Modules/ImageGallery/Thumbnails/87/56687/45379_63111.jpg

The P1800 is my favorite shooting brake (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/automobiles/26BRAKE.html) . :D

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.communityofsweden.com/EPiServerCommunity/Modules/ImageGallery/Thumbnails/87/56687/45379_63111.jpg

The P1800 is my favorite shooting brake (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/automobiles/26BRAKE.html) . :D

This one looks good, too! I know of at least one forum member who just bought one.

BBD

David Kirk
05-15-2011, 04:04 PM

I've owned two of these wonderful cars over the years. The first one saved my life (hit by a drunk - car totaled, door still opened and it was still running!) and I sold the second when I moved to Montana as I didn't have a way to take it with me.

It was a wonderful car to go to races in and that's how I used mine for years. My bike would fit in the back and I could travel to races in GT comfort. I'd like another some day but they are getting spendy.

Both of mine were the same wonderful orange as pictured. Cool color and so very 70's.

Dave

Walter
05-15-2011, 06:41 PM
The Honda Fit will hold a bike pretty well. The Fit will come with a hybrid power train next year and the CR-Z will be available with a gas power train as well.

The C30 is a bit pricey and the maint. costs are pretty high (although you do get 4 free services up to 30K mi with a new one). My new Volvos have always been pretty maint. intensive (the used ones even more) and much more so than the new Hondas and Toyotas I have owned.

Thought about a Subaru?

bmeryman
05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I was just over on the Subaru site a little while ago. They claim that the 2012 Impreza gets 33mpg highway for the manual and 36 mpg highway for the cvt. That's pretty cool for an awd vehicle.

rice rocket
05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I was just over on the Subaru site a little while ago. They claim that the 2012 Impreza gets 33mpg highway for the manual and 36 mpg highway for the cvt. That's pretty cool for an awd vehicle.

Agreed!

Now if only they'd give us the diesel version...

Louis
05-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Thought about a Subaru?

Impreza 5-dr is probably in my Top 3.

Louis
05-15-2011, 07:53 PM

One of the problems with the older Impreza's was not-that-great MPG. Glad to see that they're working on that.

rice rocket
05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
My only gripe about the Impreza is the rear seats are borderline unusable. And I'm not tall at all.

For that reason, I think I'd pickup a base model Legacy before I did a hopped up Impreza. Or a used Legacy, the new generation is pretty horrible.

InspectorGadget
05-15-2011, 08:42 PM
You would never use the word sexy to describe it and it doesn't have anywhere near 200 hp, let alone 600+; but, the Element will keep your bike(s) safely protected from the elements. (pun intended)

http://www.automotivetodays.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/honda-element-4.jpg

Where horsepower is concerned, if some is good and more is better, then too much must be just enough.

rice rocket
05-15-2011, 09:10 PM
You would never use the word sexy to describe it and it doesn't have anywhere near 200 hp, let alone 600+; but, the Element will keep your bike(s) safely protected from the elements. (pun intended)

http://www.automotivetodays.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/honda-element-4.jpg

Where horsepower is concerned, if some is good and more is better, then too much must be just enough.

I know you didn't mean to, but the Element you posted actually makes 500 hp w/ a twin turbo 3.2L.

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/746/746047/honda-element-d-20061114050411022.jpg

http://cars.ign.com/articles/746/746047p1.html

FlashUNC
05-15-2011, 09:14 PM
The world needs more shooting brakes.

dd74
05-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Diesel. Choices are (new) VW, Audi; not too expensive for these cars. Used, you might be able to get a deal on a BMW 335d, which has an enormous trunk and I think fold down rear seats. Oh yeah, and it's nearly as fast as an M3 if that's of any importance.

A used Mercedes 320 diesel SUV can be purchased for > $20K. Lots of power, but very good mileage.

The problem with the U.S. auto industry is it continues to poo-poo diesels, which get great mileage, have enormous power and are very clean.

Cadillac builds a diesel CTS, but sells it only in Europe. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Tom
05-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Actually, they do the 5/50 thing with scheduled maint and all parts included although if you want upgrades like the pads off a V50 or synthetic oil you'll pay for the delta.

Two month impression: stock model with the manual/auto not as fast off the line as, say, a WRX STI but 40-90 is stupidly quick. (I drive I-90 for a commute, I really have to stop doing that when the idiots get out of my way...). If I modded it, the one thing I'd do is the heavier anti-sway in the back. There's some body roll but not a lot. After the warranty is up and I was feeling flush I'd change the pipes a little and get the Elevate tune. That'd probably make it just a little more car than I know what to do with.

For a run up to the farm, two lane roads over the hills in Vt. a couple times I averaged a little over 30mpg. 24mpg dueling with I-90 traffic and around town.

Interior? I've never before had a car where they didn't cheap out the interior in some way. All the materials are top notch, the fit and finish is superb. Nothing missed. Plus they clearly thought through every little detail... you want to unlock the door and get out? You don't 'push this button, pull that handle' you pull the door handle twice. Little stuff like that.

And for a T5 with the auto/slap stick and a couple option packages I handed them a 5 year old Element and $16k. Apparently Americans don't like hatchbacks. Dummies.

Edit: if they sold the Polestar version in this country... I'd pay the insurance.

dawgie
05-16-2011, 09:01 AM
The VW Jetta TDI is a nice, more affordable option. I've talked to several people with Jetta TDIs who get about 50 mpg on the highway. A friend has the gasoline version and loves it. Bike fits easily in the back.

The new Ford Focus hatchback also looks like a nice inexpensive bike hauler. Not diesel but costs quite a bit less than the Jetta.

The Honda Fit has an amazing amount of space for such a small car.

whitecda
05-16-2011, 09:42 AM
...and my Kirk (or CDA) fits nicely in the back with only the front wheel off.

Countryman S. Loving it so far...

Don

Louis
05-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Interior? I've never before had a car where they didn't cheap out the interior in some way. All the materials are top notch, the fit and finish is superb. Nothing missed. Plus they clearly thought through every little detail... you want to unlock the door and get out? You don't 'push this button, pull that handle' you pull the door handle twice. Little stuff like that.
:
:
Apparently Americans don't like hatchbacks. Dummies.

Tom,

Given that the hatch opening is actually pretty durn small, how easy / difficult is it to put a bike in through there? Thanks.

Re: Americans and hatchbacks - don't get me started on that topic. Idiots.

mistermo
05-16-2011, 11:49 AM
These are badass. It might be the first car to tempt me since my W8 Passat, 6sp, 4Motion wagon. I'm drooling. :hello:

And BTW, one of those Ferrari's in the OP followed me home from work on Friday. I got a good view of the LED headlights in my rearview mirror.

AngryScientist
05-16-2011, 11:51 AM
...and my Kirk (or CDA) fits nicely in the back with only the front wheel off.

Countryman S. Loving it so far...

Don

really nice.

how is the engine mounted?

Tom
05-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Tom,

Given that the hatch opening is actually pretty durn small, how easy / difficult is it to put a bike in through there? Thanks.

60cm bike with front wheel off, no problem. I have to admit, though, I took advantage of getting a discount on the roof rack (another really well engineered product, btw) and will use the discount on bike and kayak carriers. You can't get a pair of kayaks through the back hatch. I haven't even tried. I can tell.

FlashUNC
05-16-2011, 12:28 PM
really nice.

how is the engine mounted?

When the girlfriend and I were car searching a few weeks back, I was under the impression all Minis had transverse mounted engines, even for their AWD models.