PDA

View Full Version : Helmet mirror

jgspin
05-14-2011, 01:22 PM
I was curious how many of you use a mirror; either on your helmet, your glasses or on the handlebar. My friends think I look nerdy/dorky since I started using one on my glasses but I am getting more comfortable with it. I feel safer that I can see if a car or truck is about to pass me so my vanity has taken a back seat. I can see if someone is attacking on a climb; not that I can respond... Also I can spit or blow my nose knowing no one is close behind me.

ultraman6970
05-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Is your name Fred by any chance?

dave thompson
05-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Both my wife and I wear mirrors, the kind that attach to glasses. We care not one whit what others think, it works for us very well.

zap
05-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Nope.

Ears.

Vertebrae that can rotate.

rickbb
05-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Nope.

Ears.

Vertebrae that can rotate.
These areas frequently have reduced functionality by one's 6th or 7th decade. :crap:
As such, Sue and I use Sprintech bar-end mirrors that reduce the Fred factor by a couple of points and work adequately.

wss
05-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I use a Third Eye mirror mounted to my helmet. Have to adjust it from time to time.
I'm waiting for a rear facing camera with a view screen you mount on the handlebar. Could also be used to record the idiots who throw things at you.

eddief
05-14-2011, 03:49 PM
here's one point of view. many who say they are/look nerdy are the same ones who ride two and three abreast and don't look back to see cars are behind them. yes, turning your head works, but the ease of looking in the mirror is mo betta mo often. makes a lot of sense to me. the Take A Look brand is what works for me.

dave thompson is the president of US Mirror Wearers Association.

Willy
05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I always go out with mine - have migrated to the one on the glasses as the most adaptable and gets the best view.

I find it really important to get that back view specifically around traffic.

dekindy
05-14-2011, 04:56 PM
I use a Third Eye mirror mounted to my helmet. Have to adjust it from time to time.
I'm waiting for a rear facing camera with a view screen you mount on the handlebar. Could also be used to record the idiots who throw things at you.

http://www.cerevellum.com/
Also an 8-function cycle computer. Too bad it is not wireless and longer battery capacity. I would have thought that it would be for sale by now.

peanutgallery
05-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Paul Curly has been using a helmet mirror since the Bronze Age, I believe. And quite successfully I might add

rugbysecondrow
05-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Fred or not, I like to use one and I also wear a reflective vest, light on my bike and a read helmet light. I have two little kids that I would like to come home to and, frankly, if it I don't the reason will be inconsequential. If I can help myself, I will.

For you guys who get stiff thrown at you, how often does that happen? One time in the last 5 years, maybe I am lucky or maybe not an easy mark. Although, hitting me would be abou as easy as hitting the broad side of a barn.

zmudshark
05-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Since I was nearly killed by a car 25 years ago, and can't look over my left shoulder, I use a Sprintech mirror on all of my bikes.

Yes, some of my friends call me Fred. I've been called worse.

sonatageek
05-14-2011, 06:32 PM
I use a helmet mirror over the past year and have been pretty happy with it. My reading vision has been getting worse (damn you middle age) and I now find that I see great with the mirror when using my glasses (old distance RX) but not too well when wearing my contacts (new RX).

I am thinking of trying to find a good handle bar mounted mirror, although all that I tried before left me wanting.

zmudshark
05-14-2011, 06:43 PM
These work great:
http://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Drop-Mirror-Black-Pair/dp/B00168K3IY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1305416521&sr=1-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Fz%2BJZ5VRL._AA300_.jpg

jaykosta
05-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I use a mirror on my helmet. For me it works best due to poor vision in my left eye.

If your vision is good and you are flexible enough to quickly look back - AND also able to keep riding in a straight line, then a mirror might be less useful.

On the occasions that I ride without the mirror, I do miss having it.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

wc1934
05-14-2011, 08:13 PM
from san antonio wheelman

http://www.sawheelmen.com/SAW_Merchandise/

Helmet Mirrors:
Our most popular item returns! Keep an eye on what (or who) is behind you with a hand-crafted mirror, manufactured in the USA by Tiger Eye. One size fits all helmets without deformation or damage.

Price: $15

jeo99
05-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Well I guess I am in the minority. Tried a mirror many years ago and had more close calls with it on than without it. I would hit pot holes, gravel and almost a car coming from the right while looking into the mirror. I gave up. Frankly I do not want to see what hits me anyway. I also found out you cannot respond quicker than a car even if you see it in the mirror. IMO

:beer:

palincss
05-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I use one mounted on the helmet. It works well.

Fixed
05-14-2011, 09:12 PM
as we get older we deserve the right to be a fred it is not so bad when you are older ..
cheers

Steve in SLO
05-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I use a Viewpoint mirror that is about 1cm in diameter and mounts with double stick tape to the inside of my left lens. It is invisible to anyone else and has saved my bacon more than once. It was the least Fred-ish mirror I could find, and I feel naked without it.

martinrjensen
05-14-2011, 09:18 PM
I do not use one. I have in the past and found it annoying, and I didn't like the small field of vision it gave me. I found it not as good (for me) as turning my head back.

Pyramor
05-14-2011, 09:21 PM
I have used one that attaches to my glasses since 1982. Wouldn't be caught dead without it. I find that the glass mount reduces vibration better than either helmet or bike mounts. Also give the biggest field of view.

JAY33
05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I use a bar mounted mirror that i wouldn't ride without . On my group rides I have numerous riders asking me how I like it and where I bought it. I think if a mirror makes you comfortable who cares what anyone says. They are so small but give great views.

Nil Else
05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I use a Viewpoint mirror that is about 1cm in diameter and mounts with double stick tape to the inside of my left lens.

It didn't work with any of my cycling glasses though (I have a few), unfortunately. Most wrap-around sport glasses don't have enough space between lens and your face for these to work in my experiments.

rice rocket
05-14-2011, 10:19 PM
For you guys who get stiff thrown at you, how often does that happen? One time in the last 5 years, maybe I am lucky or maybe not an easy mark. Although, hitting me would be abou as easy as hitting the broad side of a barn.

I've had it happen twice in the past year.

Keep in mind, you live in one of the more affluent and higher educated areas of the country...

Nil Else
05-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I've had it happen twice in the past year.

Keep in mind, you live in one of the more affluent and higher educated areas of the country...

Right... it happens quite often though it does depend on locations... but not when it's high school kids throwing stuff/shout and speeds away... then there are pick-up trucks and soccer moms in SUVs that are more menacing...

SteveV0983
05-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I have used a RhodeGear bar end mirror on my left drop for over 20 years and find it completely invaluable. I peek down at it constantly to know what is coming up behind me. I wouldn't ride if I didn't have a mirror. Unfortunately, I believe they went out of business. Which is a shame because the mirror is infinitely adjustable to all angles due to multiple pivots. I believe Blackburn makes one that will fit into a drop also.

kenw
05-17-2011, 12:14 AM
These work great:
http://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Drop-Mirror-Black-Pair/dp/B00168K3IY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1305416521&sr=1-1

Love to have one of these; alas, i use barend shifters.

bambam
05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I've used a glasses mirror for years. If I forget its I still glance for it.

Handle bar mirror seem less safe to me. I've seen someone look down and run into the wheel in front of them. I always thought the helmet mirror would move a little but have thought about trying it.
When I remove my glasses to wipe my eyes the first thing I notice is that I can't see behind me.

Seems easy to do a quick glance while still keeping an eye on the wheel infront of you. You can see other cyclist, your buddy trying to jump you on those green sign sprints, and you can see cars alot sooner than you can hear them.

I actually saw a driver swere and hit a cyclist 30 feet behind me and that gave me enough time to get off the road,get a good look at the truck and warn the people that were infront of me.
my 2 cents.

drewski
05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.therandonneeshop.com/products/show/43-ultra_light_bike_mirror

I like this mirror. However it does jack up my handlebar tape if I put in on too tight. I swear by these mirrors.

Pegoready
05-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I have had fantastic luck with these:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/-Eeu-AUWO2tTNw6YZTWiul4fJCz5Vjiy-NvWugkBUAAZHbDW2_mISPO4IAGQCMz65uk33B1BXmcAXdx_EVz i0YZrxyV1-OwlETnenP9MCnOxUqXxONshK4nPLH6c3fhjxJEIISFiRGIZij_ 8KBuDutyTlpn9J-PJ_U-FlA

http://www.hubbubcustom.com/store/prodimages/helmet_mirror_1sm.jpg

Yes, I am a Fred. No I don't care anymore. A mirror is essential. It seems like the people who don't use one are the ones who are in the middle of the road when cars are passing putting themselves in danger and making the rest of us look bad.

biker72
05-17-2011, 01:38 PM
These work great:

A customer brought one of these back to the store this morning for a refund. He kept hitting it with his knee.

Before restocking, I asked if I could try it out. I found that I could hear the cars coming before I could see them in the mirror. Not good. I'd like to have a mirror but not this one... :)

Don49
05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
I have had fantastic luck with these:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/-Eeu-AUWO2tTNw6YZTWiul4fJCz5Vjiy-NvWugkBUAAZHbDW2_mISPO4IAGQCMz65uk33B1BXmcAXdx_EVz i0YZrxyV1-OwlETnenP9MCnOxUqXxONshK4nPLH6c3fhjxJEIISFiRGIZij_ 8KBuDutyTlpn9J-PJ_U-FlA

Yes, I am a Fred. No I don't care anymore. A mirror is essential. It seems like the people who don't use one are the ones who are in the middle of the road when cars are passing putting themselves in danger and making the rest of us look bad.
+1

Those Bike Peddler mirrors are the best.

I did find out the hard way that they come in two different models, regular and compact, IIRC. The compact model has a shorter arm to the mirror and didn't work well for me.

jmoore
05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Since I was nearly killed by a car 25 years ago, and can't look over my left shoulder, I use a Sprintech mirror on all of my bikes.

Yes, some of my friends call me Fred. I've been called worse.

I'd call zmud a Fred for his mirrors but then he'd just laugh at me as he dropped me on every climb in north Scottsdale next March. Much like he's done the last two March's.

rugbysecondrow
05-17-2011, 07:41 PM
I know some cool kids who never made it out of their teens and twenties, I am good with being a 30 something fredish fella.

Nil Else
05-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Forever Young ~ ~ Fred Forever ~ ~

gone
05-17-2011, 08:12 PM
A mirror is essential. It seems like the people who don't use one are the ones who are in the middle of the road when cars are passing putting themselves in danger and making the rest of us look bad.

Interesting generalization. I also tend to feel like everybody who doesn't do things exactly as I would are doing something wrong. I mean, after all, I'm always right and I always do the right thing.

Nil Else
05-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Interesting generalization. I also tend to feel like everybody who doesn't do things exactly as I would are doing something wrong. I mean, after all, I'm always right and I always do the right thing.

Snobbery.

gone
05-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Snobbery.
Actually no, it was irony. Saying "I use a mirror and anyone who doesn't rides in the middle of the lane and gives us all a bad name" is snobbery.

Nil Else
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Actually no, it was irony. Saying "I use a mirror and anyone who doesn't rides in the middle of the lane and gives us all a bad name" is snobbery.

I meant much of human social behaviors can be classified as snobbery... meaning all sides are snobs on their own.

1happygirl
05-17-2011, 10:26 PM
A customer brought one of these back to the store this morning for a refund. He kept hitting it with his knee.

Before restocking, I asked if I could try it out. I found that I could hear the cars coming before I could see them in the mirror. Not good. I'd like to have a mirror but not this one... :)

I'm bad with directions, but what happens with these when you are riding East at sunset?
You can't move 'em?!

Peter P.
05-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Paul Curley has been using a helmet mirror since the Bronze Age, I believe. And quite successfully I might add
(I corrected the spelling of Paul's last name.)

I raced against (or more like watched from a distance) Paul Curley in the 80's/early 90's. I was amazed to see such an advanced rider using a mirror. No one gave him grief about it and he never stopped using one. He definitely had the fitness and skills; apparently he found bike mirrors a useful accessory as well.

I personally tried using a helmet mounted mirror. I didn't like the fact that they only provided a useful rearview when in one handlebar position, either on the hoods or on the drops. You had to adjust it for one position and no amount of head tilting would make it useful when you changed handlebar positions. I quickly gave up the idea.

Fivethumbs
05-18-2011, 01:23 AM
Is it snobbery to think less of people who take a position on mirror wearing? Just askin'.

roydyates
05-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Is it snobbery to think less of people who take a position on mirror wearing? Just askin'.
Three answers:

Only if they take a position different from your own.

No more so than to think more of people because they take your same position.

Everyone has a position, even if that position is complete neutrality. It is snobbery to think less of everyone else.

roydyates
05-18-2011, 06:09 AM
Is there a way to delete accidental duplicates? Since I can't figure it out, I'll ask if it's snobbery to think less of someone because they can't properly post on the forum? :)

Three answers:

Only if they take a position different from your own.

No more so than to think more of people because they take your same position.

Everyone has a position, even if that position is complete neutrality. It is snobbery to think less of everyone else.

biker72
05-18-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm bad with directions, but what happens with these when you are riding East at sunset?
You can't move 'em?!
You can move it fairly easily by hand. The one I had was tight enough that going over pot holes/RR tracks would not move it.

Nil Else
05-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Is there a way to delete accidental duplicates? Since I can't figure it out, I'll ask if it's snobbery to think less of someone because they can't properly post on the forum? :)

Snobbery? Yes... however your post deserve at least one duplicate post. ;)

Pegoready
05-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I probably should revise my statement to say that that one rider in the group who is in the middle of the road at the wrong time is never using a mirror. Not that all riders who don't use mirrors are in the middle of the road.

I really like to take the middle of the road when I can and a mirror helps that. I also like to spot erratic drivers from afar. I like to know when someone in the group has dropped off. Usually I see no one since it's me who is off the back :)

Anyway, to answer the OP I still think the HubBub helmet mirror is tops.

bobswire
05-18-2011, 08:37 AM
I went from wearing a "take a look mirror" these last 4 years then quit wearing one this year after almost taking out another cyclist who was in a blind spot and other time in traffic almost getting hit by a car. Both times were my fault in being too dependent on the mirror. I gone back to trusting my instincts and senses with a quick look before making a change in direction in traffic.
Fred had nothing to do with my decision, this Bob takes full responsibility.

http://i53.tinypic.com/33uv19l.jpg

rugbysecondrow
05-18-2011, 08:42 AM
I ride enough two lane roads with small shoulders that the mirror is helpful. I can see from a distance that a car is approaching, but I don't abandon my senses or even stop turning around sometimes. It is just another variable which helps me out and might provide that nugget of info which keeps me safe.

As an aside, this is purely anectdotal, but I think drivers take cyclist more seriously if cyclist appear to be taking it seriously. Lights, mirror, reflectors etc, if the cyclist shows effort then the drivers seem to respond positively. This is just my experience though and yours might vary.

Pegoready
05-18-2011, 08:45 AM
I went from wearing a "take a look mirror" these last 4 years then quit wearing one this year after almost taking out another cyclist who was in a blind spot and other time in traffic almost getting hit by a car. Both times were my fault in being too dependent on the mirror. I gone back to trusting my instincts and senses with a quick look before making a change in direction in traffic.
Fred had nothing to do with my decision, this Bob takes full responsibility.

Agreed, but you could say the same about a car mirror. Essential, yes. Full proof, no. You just have to know the limitations of the tool.

rice rocket
05-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Agreed, but you could say the same about a car mirror. Essential, yes. Full proof, no. You just have to know the limitations of the tool.
You can actually setup your car mirrors to have no blind spots. No one does it in this country though, because for some reason people are taught that you should setup your mirrors to see into the next lane. :confused:

bobswire
05-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Foolproof goes without saying.
Prior to using a mirror I was never close to getting into an accident with another vehicle or bike from my actions,after getting a mirror I had a few close calls. I'm no newbie, going on 40 years of being a dedicated cyclist of one kind or another.
I'm not preaching one way or another just explaining my reasoning.
I take umbrage at those who use God, children, hitler or Freds to support their argument. :rolleyes:

rugbysecondrow
05-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Foolproof goes without saying.
Prior to using a mirror I was never close to getting into an accident with another vehicle or bike from my actions,after getting a mirror I had a few close calls. I'm no newbie, going on 40 years of being a dedicated cyclist of one kind or another.
I'm not preaching one way or another just explaining my reasoning.
I take umbrage at those who use God, children, hitler or Freds to support their argument. :rolleyes:

What an odd grouping, almost like you have put thought into this.

gone
05-18-2011, 09:29 AM
You just have to know the limitations of the tool.
Well said and I'll add you also have to know the limitations in how you use it. I'm sort of in the same camp as bobswire - I had mirrors on every one of my bikes and liked the advantage that others have cited (being able to ride in the middle of the lane, seeing erratic drivers coming) but I found there was a big disadvantage that I could never seem to break myself from: if I saw a car coming behind me, I pulled over. Often times this wasn't the safest thing to do e.g., I'd pull over on a narrow 2 lane with no shoulder on a blind hill and naturally the driver would pass, perhaps thinking that because I'd pulled over it was safe to do so. After a few near death experiences (think 2 dump trucks going in opposite directions passing each other on a blind hill with me "sharing" the lane) I decided to go sans mirror. I adopt the approach that's written in the laws of most states: I ride as far right as is safely practicable.

Yes, I agree it's me and my use of the mirror but I was never able to break myself of that reflexive habit. People that I ride with who have mirrors do the same thing. I may give mirrors a shot again one of these days (thanks for the hubbub recommendation) but for now, I turn and look and have done for the last 4 years.

Nil Else
05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
for some reason people are taught that you should setup your mirrors to see into the next lane.

Or see the same thing you see on the rear view mirror on the side view mirrors... :confused:

I set my mirrors so the side view mirrors views start where rear view mirror view ends - so I get continuous coverage. The rest of my side views are covered by my peripheral vision and I have full 360 degree coverage without hardly turning my head. I completely rely on my mirrors and it works for me; I'm pretty much aware of what's around me and far in front at all times. Human nature is that when drivers (most) sense someone 'thinking' about coming into their lane they'll speed up. Not turning your head before changing lanes prevents the unnecessary entanglements in my experience... of course this only applies when I'm driving a car.

markie
05-18-2011, 02:07 PM
As an aside, this is purely anectdotal, but I think drivers take cyclist more seriously if cyclist appear to be taking it seriously. Lights, mirror, reflectors etc, if the cyclist shows effort then the drivers seem to respond positively. This is just my experience though and yours might vary.

Unfortunately I think the opposite is true. If you cannot ride a straight line and do not wear a helmet cars will give you much more room. I think this was part of the safer to ride without a helmet study from a couple of years ago. On the other hand to be given room cars do have to be able to see you....

It is complimacated.

fogrider
05-19-2011, 01:37 AM
to each his/her own. me, I use my spider sense. its not that my hearing is good, I just pay attention ride a straight line and look back before swinging out. some guys with a mirror are good riders, some a hazards. same for those without mirrors.

jgspin
05-19-2011, 11:41 AM
When riding two abreast with a buddy and we are pedaling easy having a conversation, and with all the other background noise of cars going in the other direction and other lanes, it's harder to distinguish if the sound you hear if you are attentive at all, is actually from a car on the same lane as you. I set up my mirror so that as I am sitting up I can see vehicles behind approaching even before I hear them. I can then speed up or slow down to ride single file, then when the vehicle passes I can return to two abreast. The mirror also allows me a margin of safety/time to ride more to the left of the road to avoid a pothole or glass.