PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying this Serotta frame?

ColoradoClark
05-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Found this listing on my local Craigslist and the bike looks like a good fit for what I am looking for -- a solid entry level road bike.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2380679781.html

I am trying to identify the Serotta frame and would appreciate any feedback on the bike and the frame.

I'm going to try to take a look at the bike this weekend and see how it fits. On most road frames I fit well on a 56cm, being 5'10 1/2 inches with short legs and long arms. I'm currently at 235 lbs (down from 315 18 months ago), and still losing fat at a steady (if not fast) pace. I am currently riding a Trek 820 steel frame hardtail (AKA my "tank") as a commuter, averaging 60-90 miles a week. I'm looking for a road bike that I can enjoy on weekends and for the occasional commute when the weather is nice, but the winds are blowing hard (the Trek kinda sucks in the wind, weighing in at 36 lbs, with 2" knobby tires and a very upright riding position).

Any thoughts/recommendations from the knowledgeable Serotta folks here (or general road bike recommendations) would be greatly appreciated!

bicycletricycle
05-14-2011, 12:59 PM
these colorado aluminum frames were made by kenesis in washington (i think) i had one for a bit, it was pretty nice for an aluminum bike. This bike will be stiffer than your trek which will probably be better under someone your weight. Seems like a good deal.

Bruce K
05-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Bill Bove's favorite Serotta. He had two of them in pink.

There were not a ton of them made and even (at last word) the factory did not have one on their "wall of fame".

They were pretty "racy" in ride feel and handling if I remember correctly.

It should be a fun bike.

BK

Louis
05-14-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm currently at 235 lbs (down from 315 18 months ago), and still losing fat at a steady (if not fast) pace.

Congratulations. :banana:

Cycling will allow you continue losing and the hills / mountains will provide plenty of incentive to loose even more.

jeo99
05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
bicycletricycle is correct about Kenesis making the aluminum frame and fork for Serotta. In-fact they made frames for several OEMs. Looks like a good deal, but I would have one strong suggestion. Trade out the aluminum fork. This will beat you to death.

:beer:

ColoradoClark
05-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Thank you for the info, guys -- and thanks for the encouragement, Louis!

ColoradoClark
05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
bicycletricycle is correct about Kenesis making the aluminum frame and fork for Serotta. In-fact they made frames for several OEMs. Looks like a good deal, but I would have one strong suggestion. Trade out the aluminum fork. This will beat you to death.

:beer:
Any specific suggestions for a replacement fork? I am guessing that my weight (235 lbs) probably makes some of the carbon forks a bad option?