View Full Version : interesting bike shop concept

weisan
05-14-2011, 12:13 AM
in Barcelona...

http://pave.cc/gal_shop.php

http://pave.cc/galerias/gal_shop/shop0.jpg

hiljentaa
05-14-2011, 12:35 AM
I like modern design a lot, but I have to say that I'd much prefer to go to the type of shop that has old frames hanging from the rafters and smells like grease. :)

MattTuck
05-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Free markets and evolution require variation from the norm to see how those variants compete against the existing crop of competitors. I won't poopoo this idea quite yet, as it looks pretty sexy, and I'm not really sure who their market is, other than to say, it's not me.

It is interesting though. That said, it also strikes me as a bit pretentious and overly self absorbed.

mpetry
05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Too sterile! I'm surprised there's nothing on the main floor. In Barcelona, should have coffee, sofa, and a big screen showing the stage of the day.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Aaron O
05-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Wasted space with fewer bikes available for display. Putting an off the peg cookie cutter in it's own spot with soft light around it doesn't make it more attractive to me.

jr59
05-14-2011, 10:33 AM
How many square feet of space does this take?

How much is wasted?

How much a square foot?
You would have to get the space for WAY CHEAP, or have HUGE margins in the things you sell.
We all KNOW the LBS owner is getting rich. :p :no: :crap:

Grant McLean
05-14-2011, 10:38 AM
That said, it also strikes me as a bit pretentious and overly self absorbed.

maybe that's the clientele they are targeting!

:banana:

-g

bart998
05-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Maybe in Beverly Hills, but most riders aren't THAT pretentious.

jmason6
05-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Agreed seems like wasted space, though in this day and age with asthetics in mind it truly highlights each ride for it individuality. Think of it as window shopping at its finest.

rice rocket
05-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Someone caught up in the pizazz of cycling.

Neat looking for sure, but this probably serves the interests of .1% of the population.

MattTuck
05-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Maybe in Beverly Hills, but most riders aren't THAT pretentious.

Ha! So true. I really meant more pretentious than normal cyclists.

godfrey1112000
05-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I think the Wine and Cheesers would love it but a "Biker Stoner Dude" would be confused and freaked out, hopefully the tattoo selection will be in good taste,

also most likely to require Assos Membership
valet parking
and a dress code

I would shop there

btw nice rides, but no Ti or Steel

130R
05-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Interesting? Yes.

Practical? No.

rugbysecondrow
05-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Plenty space for customers to move and not feel cramped, pull the bike down, straddle it etc. Many bike shops are so cluttered there is not space for the customer to feel cluttered. Also, maybe they have a high zoot clientele who have appointmens, fit sessions etc. If you have the money and space for a show room, why the hell not? They aren't servicing the ebay crowd.

false_Aest
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
I think the design is actually brilliant.

The layout says, "We're here to serve YOU. You exclusively."

Take a look at the product they're showing. Now think about what they're actually selling . . . . ego inflation devices.

In that sense, the design is completely practical. I wouldn't be surprised if they're hiring and training the equiv of the Assos girl to help tubby 50 year-olds try on shoes too.

The layout is quite similar to boutique clothing stores, Tesla dealers, Gagosian, Mary Boon, Luhring-Augustine, etc.

Climb01742
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
when i go into a bike shop, i like to touch and see up close what i'm interested in. purchasing something is often a tactile experience. it's one of the things that make apple stores so successful, i think: you can touch, pick-up and use every gizmo they sell. apple encourages a tactile buying experience. while this shop is visually (sorta) interesting, it creates a barrier between the customer and the merchandise. not, IMO, a very profitable idea.

Elefantino
05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
They sell Rapha.

Of course.

sean
05-14-2011, 01:34 PM
You guys should form a gang called the "hate squad". ;)

It's sorta' nice to see a different approach to a traditional shop. You can tell that the designers/shop owners spent a lot of time thinking out how to make it a retail experience. To me, that says they pay attention to detail and have very high standards.

I like walking into a shop where I'm able to appreciate the space and the design of the product as a cohesive unit- and I think they've done that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the hole in the wall, packed to the brim local shop. I love that too, but for different reasons.

Good on those guys!

BTW- the only thing I call bullsh*t on is the work area. :)

Kirk Pacenti
05-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Except for the cool grey and mauve colors, I love it.

If I ever were to do something in retail, I would aspire to a similar aesthetic but with warmer colors. And probably on a scale closer to that of the Cascade Bicycle Studio (http://cascadebicyclestudio.com/photos/detail/3309680242/72157614346661147/)

Cheers,

KP

Germany_chris
05-14-2011, 05:50 PM
I like it!!!

oldpotatoe
05-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Except for the cool grey and mauve colors, I love it.

If I ever were to do something in retail, I would aspire to a similar aesthetic but with warmer colors. And probably on a scale closer to that of the Cascade Bicycle Studio (http://cascadebicyclestudio.com/photos/detail/3309680242/72157614346661147/)

Cheers,

KP

Naw, it's gotta have some sort of organized chaos attached to it...

http://www.vecchios.com

http://www.vecchios.com/whatever.html

(shameless plug, sorry..............not sorry)

Nil Else
05-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Variety.

Variety and choices are generally good thing... however then we go snobbish. ;)

Hawker
05-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Impressive display. However, it also gives off that "don't you dare touch anything" vibe. Presumably they have another section of the store that is a bit more consumer friendly?

Hawker
05-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Naw, it's gotta have some sort of organized chaos attached to it...

http://www.vecchios.com

http://www.vecchios.com/whatever.html

(shameless plug, sorry..............not sorry)

Yep, visited your shop last year and just loved the overall vibe. It "felt" like a bike shop.

Lifelover
05-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Amazing but I can' t imagine how it could be profitable. Maybe it's a front for a PED Dr.

Grant McLean
05-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Impressive display. However, it also gives off that "don't you dare touch anything" vibe. Presumably they have another section of the store that is a bit more consumer friendly?

That could be a cultural reaction.

If one is used to pegboard and dirty carpet, a modern interior could be
quite a shock. If the customers are used to an Apple store merchandising
plan, where every product is touchable, functional, and accessible, the
clean, and spare design serves to unclutter the consumer's visual choices.
Most North American bikeshops so visually overload the consumer with
"stuff", most customers have no idea what they're looking at.

-g

CNY rider
05-15-2011, 12:14 PM

-g

Somewhere there has to be a happy medium.
The pics above just seem too cold and sterile of a setting.

Aaron O
05-15-2011, 12:18 PM

-g

Apple stores don't put their products on pedestals with "just look" lighting spot lights. Apple puts their extensive product line in the middle of the store and makes it approachable. This looks like a sports car showroom. I mean that as an insult in case it's unclear.

EricEstlund
05-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I really like it.

How to make it profitable? Staff it with someone who relates to the clientele and make sure that the folks that walk in walk out with a bike.

Sure, it's not the packed to the gills model, but it need not be stand off-ish. I look at that space and I see focus.

rugbysecondrow
05-15-2011, 12:46 PM
I really like it.

How to make it profitable? Staff it with someone who relates to the clientele and make sure that the folks that walk in walk out with a bike.

Sure, it's not the packed to the gills model, but it need not be stand off-ish. I look at that space and I see focus.

I agree. I don't know why a bike shop needs to look like an episode of Hoarders to be legit. High end zoot bikes likely will be ordered or customized anyway, so why have stock for the sake of having stock? It is a different model, why use the showroom also as the storage room. It is like a nice shoe store with one of each model on display, but inventory stored elsewhere vs. Pay Less shoes or some low end inventory moving shop where the customer does the work. Different model than the traditional shop, but certainly not a new concept at all.

I will also add that many bike shops lack in customer service, a shop with a visual like this would like have a strong emphasis on customer interface and support. It is not the help yourself model many shops have turned into.

Grant McLean
05-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Apple stores don't put their products on pedestals with "just look" lighting spot lights. Apple puts their extensive product line in the middle of the store and makes it approachable. This looks like a sports car showroom. I mean that as an insult in case it's unclear.

If you don't put bicycles on pedestals, they tend to fall over. :banana:

Those bikes look very approachable to me, they look like I could walk
up to them, take it from the stand and touch it all i want.
Some even have pedals and bottle cages, I think they could be demo bikes,
ready to ride.

The different reactions of people to this concept tells me as much about
them as it does anything. It's very interesting how the arrangement of
products in a space evokes emotional responses, good and bad.

-g

Grant McLean
05-15-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't know why a bike shop needs to look like an episode of Hoarders to be legit.

That's a great line!

-g

rugbysecondrow
05-15-2011, 01:05 PM

ready to ride.

-g

Back at you!

I could not agree more. These bikes not only look like they are displayed so you can actually see them, they are easily able to be looked at, touched, moved, wheeled, maneuvered etc. I have gone to shops, wanted to take a look at a bike, but it was stuffed into a rack or a hook where I would have to move two other bikes just to get it out, it makes window shopping difficult. If I walked into this shop, it would easy to just wheel the bike down to look at it. More importantly, buyers can lift them easily and see how light they are, that is the most important criteria, isn't it?

Grant McLean
05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
These bikes not only look like they are displayed so you can actually see them, they are easily able to be looked at, touched, moved, wheeled, maneuvered etc.

agreed.

It really is worth a look at all the photos of this shop,
not just the bike display area.

I love this shot of these kids. Anywhere that takes place
is OK by me!

http://pave.cc/gal_shop.php

-g

Fixed
05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
young riders shop
the old riders go to the hole in the wall shop
cheers

Aaron O
05-15-2011, 03:50 PM

ready to ride.

-g

Again...you used an Apple store analogy. Your analogy was very erroneous. Apple doesn't have a nearly empty store, they have a lot of product, it's in the center of the store and there is no empty space. The only comparison between this and an Apple store is that they're clean, brightly lit and sell things. Apple stores, while visually appealing, are about interaction with what they sell and approachability, both with the product and the staff. They don't have products that are 10 feet from the ground.

Thinking it's approachable is somewhat subjective I suppose. To me it's an extremely wasteful arrangement where the bikes are made to look like holy objects, except they lack the pedigree to back up the display. It's like a cheese shoppe with almost no cheese. Maybe if the cheese they had was more interesting, I could buy it.

Frankly I think it's ridiculous and somewhat pretentious, largely because the form doesn't follow function. I don't know what that says about me, I guess that I'm not a fashion conscious, fad following person and care more about the product than the display. I'm the same way with food...I don't care about glitz or presentation or atmosphere...I only care about the ingredients and the taste.

fogrider
05-16-2011, 01:25 AM
if you're looking for a used fixie, this is the wrong place and the wrong design. but for a cervelo that cost as much as much as a used car, well, I would say its pretty sweet. I love the old shops as much as the next cyclist. and if they can keep up with the frames, carbon wheels and offering custom fitting, great! and there are some small shops in the area that look like this shop. if they offer great service and products, ok with me. I know there are alot of grumpy guys that like the old man cave to pick up inner tubes and maybe a pair of gloves...I mean most of you guys buy everything online anyway.

d_douglas
05-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Design is not necessarily what you expect or can predict. I think they have captured the essence of what a high end bike retail shop is trying to sell - style. (no offence to high end bike shops)

I am trained as an architect (in case you are wondering why I am such an authority on this ;) ) and while it is fun to go into a greasy, stinky shop with dozens, no hundreds, of bikes on display, it is also over whelming to the customer/client. In my opinion, if you extract what is beautiful about a high end roadbike is that is it streamlined, minimalistic, elegant, technologically advanced and crisp feeling - hey, looks like they captured that in their retail display area!

In fairness, I hope they have a team of highly skilled mechanics assembling and maintaining these things in some other part of the shop, making it a REAL bike shop and not a retail showroom shop, something I cannot stand.

Secondly, depends on where this shop is, but retail in rundown areas of Barcelona probably isn't as expensive as you would think!

Darren