PDA

View Full Version : has anyone converted their super record to 10 speed?

bicycletricycle
05-13-2011, 09:15 PM
i am thinking of putting super record on a bike. I don't think that one can really justify this parts group in any way except to say that I want it and I know that record is basically the same minus the titanium (blah blah blah) and i just don't care.

However.

11 speeds is just crazy, even crazier than the overpriced ti bolts. When are they going to stop? Maybe they should never stop adding cogs. I have been around long enough to have complained about every jump in gears from 7 on up.

so.

I was thinking about converting some SR shifters to 10 speed. Has anyone run this, I assume it is possible, I have rebuilt a couple hundred ERGOs but none for the last 4 years so i don't know the inside of the SR's. Any advice, opinions, comments, experiences, etc?

kramnnim
05-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Hmm, would the Centaur internals swap over?

Probably not something you'd want to do, but I'm running Chorus 11 ergos with a 10sp Shimano cassette...the spacing is close enough for it to work surprisingly well.

Grant McLean
05-13-2011, 09:33 PM
11 speeds is just crazy

why the hate? what downside is there?
seems like a good idea to me.
12-25 is great in 11 speed.

-g

bicycletricycle
05-13-2011, 09:39 PM
some one has to put there foot down somewhere, i dont need more speeds and i dont want them, i dont want more expensive more quickly worn out cassettes. I like 12-25 in 9 speeds just fine. It is true that more gear ratios is more efficient over any given terrain but i dont really care that much. It is more of a statement than anything else.

Dave
05-14-2011, 07:39 AM
The internal parts of '09-'10 model 10 speed ultrashift levers are interchangeable with 11 speed. The problem is that Campy no longer sells those parts individually. The other problem is that for '11, all 10 speed shifters (and Athena 11) now use an entirely different "powershift" mechanism, that is similar to the '07-'08 escape mechanism. These internals are not compatible with Chorus through SR ultrashift ergo bodies.

You might be able to find a '10 model EC-CE100 major assembly to convert an SR shifter, but then you'd just want to put the SR brake lever on and be done. See page 44 of the PDF.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares10-A-010909.pdf

You'll be limited to Centaur or Veloce cassettes.

Regarding cassette life, Campy 10 speed cogs are a 7% thicker than 11 speed, but 11 speed cogs are the same 1.6mm thickness as Shimano and SRAM 10 speed. Cassette life is not always dictated by cog thickness. Depending on how you manage your chains, each could have the same life. If you take the common approach of changin chains prematurely to "protect" the cassette, there always comes a time when a new chain skips when installed.

I take a different approach and alternate the use of 3-4 chains with one cassette. If the chains are all put into use with no chain skip, then you will never encounter new-chain skip for the life all of the chains and the chains can be used longer since you're not removing and trashing them prematurely.

Even with 11 speed, I'd expect 3-4,000 miles from each chain and 3-4 times that from the cassette. 12-16,000 miles from a $120 Chorus cassette is not that expensive.

I would never pay three times the cost for an SR cassette. Ti cogs can last half as long, in addition to the high price.

bobswire
05-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Hmm, would the Centaur internals swap over?

Probably not something you'd want to do, but I'm running Chorus 11 ergos with a 10sp Shimano cassette...the spacing is close enough for it to work surprisingly well.

Thanks, I was curious to know how 11 speed campy would work with 10 speed shimano. Kinda figured as much since I already use 10 speed campy with 9 speed shimano cassettes.

oldpotatoe
05-14-2011, 07:47 AM
i am thinking of putting super record on a bike. I don't think that one can really justify this parts group in any way except to say that I want it and I know that record is basically the same minus the titanium (blah blah blah) and i just don't care.

However.

11 speeds is just crazy, even crazier than the overpriced ti bolts. When are they going to stop? Maybe they should never stop adding cogs. I have been around long enough to have complained about every jump in gears from 7 on up.

so.

I was thinking about converting some SR shifters to 10 speed. Has anyone run this, I assume it is possible, I have rebuilt a couple hundred ERGOs but none for the last 4 years so i don't know the inside of the SR's. Any advice, opinions, comments, experiences, etc?

Innards are completely different than the 2008 and older ERGO but find/get some Centaur ERGO innards from 2009 or 2010 and install and viola, you are 10s. Altho just getting Chorus 11s bits is a lot easier. All you need is cshifter, cogset and chain..domn't 'need' titanium, a 11s crank, 11s brakes, etc...

etu
05-14-2011, 07:57 AM
some one has to put there foot down somewhere, i dont need more speeds and i dont want them, i dont want more expensive more quickly worn out cassettes. I like 12-25 in 9 speeds just fine. It is true that more gear ratios is more efficient over any given terrain but i dont really care that much. It is more of a statement than anything else.

I've developed same sentiments. Change for the sake of change without real improvements does not seem to make sense. There are insidious costs for minor conveniences. :beer:

oldpotatoe
05-14-2011, 08:40 AM
I've developed same sentiments. Change for the sake of change without real improvements does not seem to make sense. There are insidious costs for minor conveniences. :beer:

I agree. It makes sense to the marketeers and sellers, who drive the engineers to make something that appears to be 'new and improved'. Nothing really new since the mid 80s, lever mounted shifting, clipless pedals, some others. A result of an essentially flat market=gadgets to be seen as 'improvements' when they are just something different.

ultraman6970
05-14-2011, 09:13 AM
+1.

Germany_chris
05-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks, I was curious to know how 11 speed campy would work with 10 speed shimano. Kinda figured as much since I already use 10 speed campy with 9 speed shimano cassettes.

Right now I'm using 10sp Centaur with a 10sp Ultegra cassette and it's working well so far

Grant McLean
05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
dont want more expensive more quickly worn out cassettes. I like 12-25 in 9 speeds just fine.

chorus 11 cassettes are a great deal. they will last longer than 9 speed
if you're using the middle ratios often, like a lot of people do, because
you have 2 extra cogs to use. Instead of rolling in just a 17 and 19 all the time,
there is a 16,17,18,19 to wear out. people don't realize that when they
criticize more cogs, it can be inaccurate to say that they don't last as long.

I'm happy you are happy with 9. It's sort of insulting to others to suggest
that the only reason they want it is for your reasons.

-g

Dave
05-14-2011, 10:46 AM

It would work a lot better with a J-tek shiftmate. 11 speed Campy undershifts by quite a bit - 3.8mm compared to 3.95mm.

bicycletricycle
05-14-2011, 10:50 AM
i dont understand how i insulted anybody.

good point about more stacked ratios distributing wear.

it is not so much a price thing, all cassettes seem to be getting pretty expensive these days but it does look like the chorus are still not too bad.

Ultegra 9 speed cassettes used to be 65 dollars all day long and they lasted a real long time. Seems like there is nothing like that in the market anymore.

you have 2 extra cogs to use. Instead of rolling in just a 17 and 19 all the time,

-g

Dave
05-14-2011, 10:56 AM
When I rode the moderately rolling terrain around Kansas City, a 12-21 8 or 9 speed was just enough to get by, but a 12-23 was better.

In Colorado, I've used a 53/39/28 triple 10 speed with a 12-25 and a 50/34 11 speed compact with a 12-25. I had at least one more low gear than I used very often with the triple. With the compact, there were a few more occasions where I opted to pedal standing.

Grant McLean
05-14-2011, 11:10 AM
It is more of a statement than anything else.

All i'm sayin' is that if someone wants to buy it for their reasons,
isn't that ok? Does it have to be making a statement? If someone wants
to buy a new campagnolo equipped bike above a Centaur level, it's going
to have 11 gears. What statement does that really make?

I would like to have an 18T cog in my 12-25 cassette, and the 11 speed
version does. Isn't that ok?

-g

bicycletricycle
05-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I think that everyone should be free to ride bicycles with any amount of gears that they like. I am simply thinking of using one with 10 on the back instead of 11. There is nothing objectively wrong with bikes that 11 speeds on the back or the people who choose to ride them.

no reason to kick a dead horse here.

Grant McLean
05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
There is nothing objectively wrong with bikes that 11 speeds on the back or the people who choose to ride them.

I agree, but this thread started out with "11 speeds is just crazy".
All i'm sayin' is it's 1 more cog than 10.

-g

bicycletricycle
05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
i am going to start writing IMHO after everything, I was not trying to say that 11 speeds is crazy as a fact, just that i think it is a little crazy.

Lionel
05-14-2011, 12:20 PM
if you want 10s go buy a 10s shifter. You seem to be complaining about the cost but want to buy 11s SR :crap:

Pete Serotta
05-14-2011, 02:51 PM
There are more good info here from some folks who took time to give their views and from my point they are very accurate.

11 Speed works very well. And yes I am older that dirt and have used Campy since 5 speed and Shimano since 8 speed. Todays iterations all work well. Campy 11, I LIKE!!! If another puts that smile of like on your face go with it. THere is not one and only one good solution. I like the 11 speed as Grant said, I use chorus cassette even though it is heavier....WHy? it is cheaper, :) and functions well.

Go with what you like but I think there is not one answer or problem. I had Campy 8, 9, 10, 11 and they all worked ok for me. In the earlier ones (8) they were stiff shifting for a while.

Shimano ULTEGRA works well and is what I use on my S&S LEgend travel bike for they are not finicky and if something breaks while on a trip, a replacement component is more readily available.

No attacks of anothers choice is needed to get someone a groupo they like.

PETE :beer:

good point about more stacked ratios distributing wear.

it is not so much a price thing, all cassettes seem to be getting pretty expensive these days but it does look like the chorus are still not too bad.

Ultegra 9 speed cassettes used to be 65 dollars all day long and they lasted a real long time. Seems like there is nothing like that in the market anymore.

BCS
05-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Buy two 11 speed cassettes.

Remove the 16 cog from one cassette and replace it with the 17 from the other.

You now have 10 speeds in an 11 speed system :banana:

I know this is really dumb.

FixedNotBroken
05-14-2011, 03:27 PM

-g

This is what I did..I have SR 11 and Record 11, both set ups with Chorus cassettes..yes you add a bit more weight but the Chorus cassettes actually look better with the flush color instead of mixed Ti/steel?

bobswire
05-15-2011, 12:09 PM
It would work a lot better with a J-tek shiftmate. 11 speed Campy undershifts by quite a bit - 3.8mm compared to 3.95mm.

Dave I tried using j-tek and noticed it put a lot of stress on the shifters,in fact it was so hard to shift I thought it would break a lever so I got rid of it and put up with an occasional missed shift now and then.

r_mutt
05-15-2011, 08:57 PM
i local mechanic did just that - has SR shifters and used it with his 10 speed. it took a bit of re-jiggering, but it works very well and has been for over a year.

btw - you are a retro-grouch.

:beer:

bicycletricycle
05-15-2011, 09:00 PM
i dont think anyone can be a retro grouch with super record, even if it is modified for one less speed.