PDA

View Full Version : hairy legs.

whforrest
05-13-2011, 12:18 PM
i'll be turning 40 this year. since the age of 11 years old i started shaving my legs for racing season. although i have faded in/out of the sport for the last 20 years the times i started riding regularly it was tradition to shave my legs.

well, after all these years i no longer care about shaving my legs, even if i intend to race.

i think it started when i was convincing my wife and 2 daughters about the benefits of leg shaving. however i realized it had more to do with vanity.

on my ride yesterday i noticed a few riders with shaved legs..........i thought to myself, really? you need to shave your legs because you are racing a 20 mile criterium............? yes, ii know the benefits of smooth legs for potential road rash cleaning during a race, daily massages, etc.

maybe its age or the fact i don't really care about that anymore..........i am just so happy to be outside riding my bike, and nothing else matters.

at the end of the day unless i can think of a better reason to shave my legs because of vanity, perhaps i'll stick to shaving my face.

I would be interested to hear other people's perspective.........former racers......riders,

ha ha, i know this is kind of a funny post, but it does come up with us riders.........have a great weekend everyone!

fiamme red
05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
since the age of 11 years old i started shaving my legs for racing season.You had hairy legs at 11?

d_man16
05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
never have... probably never will....I'm far too hairy to get a razor in there

whforrest
05-13-2011, 12:25 PM
too funny, i can't remember that far back, even if i didn't have hair i am sure i still shaved my legs..............i was ready to race

ha ha......!

You had hairy legs at 11?

weiwentg
05-13-2011, 12:27 PM
it was worth it to shave during the couple of years when I was racing. I'm still pretty fast, but I don't shave anymore. too much hair.

Der_Kruscher
05-13-2011, 12:31 PM
I'll admit to struggling with this a bit. It's been a few years since I've done any road racing and with a toddler in the house I don't even get to ride all that much. So, I have no real reason to justify shaving except that I think it looks better (not much of a reason) and I don't feel like a Fred (also not much of a reason). Anyway, while I debate shaving I've been wearing knee warmers and tall socks for every ride whether the weather calls for it or not :)

whforrest
05-13-2011, 12:32 PM
perhaps my new cycling goal will be to try and win a race with hairy legs and old school heavy wheels.

we'll start the hairy leg bike club.......

i understand having too much hair................dammit, hair is growing all over my back..........that's the only think that has pissed me off about getting older.

sorry, this may not be funny to some, but for some reason i'm in rare form today

whforrest
05-13-2011, 12:37 PM
i know...........we spend all this money on bikes, wheels, racing kits, shoes, helmets...........and all this time riding...........and when you shave you look so much more pro.

there is no doubt it looks better to ride/race with shaved legs.........

i used to look at riders with hairy legs as beginners..............the same way i used to look at triathletes with aero bars in the 80's.

jr59
05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
You forgot the main reason.

It's more hair-o-dynamic! :banana:

JMerring
05-13-2011, 01:02 PM
i don't race. never have (a bike, at least). i do ride fast - sometimes. i ride with low cats sometimes (1/2/3) and freds some other times. i do shave my legs, usually every 10 or so days. why? i like the way they look and because it identifies me as part of a 'brotherhood of committed road cyclists.' hairy legs on a road bike look funny. ymmv, atnwwt*.

* - and there's nothing wrong with that

Black Dog
05-13-2011, 01:04 PM
The only good reason to shave is for road rash. It can be a real bugger to clean and remove debris if there is a lot of hair matted with the blood and plasma that oozes out of a patch of rash. Hair also increases the severity of the injury by pulling apart the skin as it rolls between the road and you skin. If you ride in situations (groups, races etc...) where a crash is likely then a shaved legs can help. 5 minutes, twice a week in the shower with soap and a razor (that sounds bad!) is the cost of the insurance policy. There is no shame either way. Judge the rider not the legs or the bike.

junkfood
05-13-2011, 01:23 PM
I do not even get around to shaving my face, let alone my legs.

Jake

JStonebarger
05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
The only good reason to shave is for road rash...

Huh?

How about because shaved feels better than hairy? Because it's cleaner (eg, washing off sunblock is so much easier without hair)? Because your partner prefers it? Or because you like the way it looks?

Recently I was under strict orders not to bend over for nearly five months after a spine fusion. Afterward it felt wonderful to shave again!

whforrest
05-13-2011, 02:01 PM
for the record I am not saying it is wrong to shave legs.........i still think it looks much better, but i think i was sharing an internal debate that some of us cyclists think about

avalonracing
05-13-2011, 02:07 PM
The only good reason to shave is for road rash.

I noticed that you live in Canada... How about these reasons:
You are a guy with very hairy legs, in an area that is spends about two months at 90º or more... With high humidity. Boy that natural Polar-Fleece sure comes in handy.
And how about durning an evening road or mountain bike ride you can look down and dozens of live bugs trapped in your leg hair like fish in a net.

I know that some guys say, "I can't believe you shave your legs" and you look down and they have the natural leg hair of a 10-year old. But I've also see other guys who are so damn hairy that they should save whether they ride bikes or not. I fall somewhere in between so during warmer riding season I shave during the winter I'll take the increased later of insulation under my clothes.

coylifut
05-13-2011, 02:10 PM
According to Sean Eadie. His wife won't put out unless his legs are freshly shaved. He didn't say anyting about the beard.

bshell
05-13-2011, 02:21 PM
The road rash argument is nonsensical.

Not a chance that leg hair increases severity of wound by somehow pulling apart skin.

whforrest
05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
too funny!

According to Sean Eadie. His wife won't put out unless his legs are freshly shaved. He didn't say anyting about the beard.

firerescuefin
05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
The road rash argument is nonsensical.

Not a chance that leg hair increases severity of wound by somehow pulling apart skin.

Road rash is easier to clean.....no nonsense there.

It brings out my metrosexual side (so says my wife)....when I went back to school in my mid 20's.....I got hit on a lot more.......by dudes :rolleyes:

benb
05-13-2011, 02:47 PM
If lack of hair had any real impact on wound healing we would not have hair...

My wife says no freakin way to shaving.. good enough for me, it's a PITA and unless you're really fast already you're wasting time in the shower that could be spent on the road or doing something else productive with your life.

I've done it and the only thing I like about it is less bugs getting stuck and ability to clean off on the side of the road with a napkin or something.. and that is a pretty minor thing. It made no difference to me when I got rashed. I am going to be scrubbing that wound thoroughly whether I have hair on the limb or not, and it never made any difference in scarring for me.

rugbysecondrow
05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
I bet you guys shave your chest, sheer your sac and even get pedicures so your feet are nice and pretty after the rides.

Candy asses. ;)

firerescuefin
05-13-2011, 03:16 PM
sheer your sac

Paul....clearly you have no appreciation for what pubic wigs sell for on the open market :cool:......peasant ;)

rugbysecondrow
05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Paul....clearly you have no appreciation for what pubic wigs sell for on the open market :cool:......peasant ;)

Well if there is money to be made, that is a different story. :). Where did I put my shears? Hmmmm.

deechee
05-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I couldn't be bothered. My gf prefers that I don't shave so I have no reason to do so.

There was a guy on our tri team who would sometimes shave only one leg at a time. He joked he could pretend he was in bed with someone.

Ti Designs
05-13-2011, 03:52 PM
My legs look far better than my face, so if I must shave...

poguemahone
05-13-2011, 08:17 PM
I have never once shaved my legs. I pursued a different sport competitively prior to cycling, and began cycling after too many injuries in the first sport. At that point, I swore off all the anal insanity associated with sports. I have never once had cause to regret this decision.

I thus have never had a computer on a bike. The only way I know how fast I am is if someone else tells me. I have no idea what my yearly mileage is, other than that it is considerable. And I certainly don't shave my legs.

Other riders can do what they want.

jmason6
05-13-2011, 08:43 PM
DOn't shave, never have, never will, unlikely to land on a podium though would be nice. Enjoy watching the unshaved stand on the podium. Besides think about how much money you save in not buying razors. Budget cutting every penny counts. :)

Bob Loblaw
05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I shaved in high school and college, and I'm thinking about it again. Strictly because it looks and feels racer cool.

jmason6
05-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Never understood people that would prefer a beard and shaved legs. That makes no sense.

Steve in SLO
05-13-2011, 08:46 PM
I'll admit to struggling with this a bit. It's been a few years since I've done any road racing and with a toddler in the house I don't even get to ride all that much. So, I have no real reason to justify shaving except that I think it looks better (not much of a reason) and I don't feel like a Fred (also not much of a reason). Anyway, while I debate shaving I've been wearing knee warmers and tall socks for every ride whether the weather calls for it or not :)

Genius! :beer:
All you have to do is shave a 3" strip of your lower legs and you look PRO.

veloduffer
05-13-2011, 08:50 PM
One reason for shaving is ticks. It's a lot easier to find those nasty buggers with shaved legs. I know too many folks that have some kind of debilitating effect from Lyme's Disease. Makes me wary of mtb biking in the summer.

wc1934
05-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I liked the looks and the feel when I shaved my legs - my wife did not - guess who won?

Louis
05-13-2011, 09:07 PM
I have to say, I'm somewhat amused when I see a weekend warrior with shaved legs.

avalonracing
05-13-2011, 09:15 PM
One reason for shaving is ticks. It's a lot easier to find those nasty buggers with shaved legs. I know too many folks that have some kind of debilitating effect from Lyme's Disease. Makes me wary of mtb biking in the summer.

+100!

Black Dog
05-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I noticed that you live in Canada... How about these reasons:
You are a guy with very hairy legs, in an area that is spends about two months at 90º or more... With high humidity. Boy that natural Polar-Fleece sure comes in handy.
And how about durning an evening road or mountain bike ride you can look down and dozens of live bugs trapped in your leg hair like fish in a net.

I know that some guys say, "I can't believe you shave your legs" and you look down and they have the natural leg hair of a 10-year old. But I've also see other guys who are so damn hairy that they should save whether they ride bikes or not. I fall somewhere in between so during warmer riding season I shave during the winter I'll take the increased later of insulation under my clothes.

Ha ha true enough. For the record I shave. I am just glad that I do not have to worry about road rash on my back! :)

oldpotatoe
05-14-2011, 07:55 AM
i'll be turning 40 this year. since the age of 11 years old i started shaving my legs for racing season. although i have faded in/out of the sport for the last 20 years the times i started riding regularly it was tradition to shave my legs.

well, after all these years i no longer care about shaving my legs, even if i intend to race.

i think it started when i was convincing my wife and 2 daughters about the benefits of leg shaving. however i realized it had more to do with vanity.

on my ride yesterday i noticed a few riders with shaved legs..........i thought to myself, really? you need to shave your legs because you are racing a 20 mile criterium............? yes, ii know the benefits of smooth legs for potential road rash cleaning during a race, daily massages, etc.

maybe its age or the fact i don't really care about that anymore..........i am just so happy to be outside riding my bike, and nothing else matters.

at the end of the day unless i can think of a better reason to shave my legs because of vanity, perhaps i'll stick to shaving my face.

I would be interested to hear other people's perspective.........former racers......riders,

ha ha, i know this is kind of a funny post, but it does come up with us riders.........have a great weekend everyone!

As you get older the hair on your legs automatically leaves...and goes to your ears...not to worry, just wait a few years.

sloji
05-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Cycling is fashion as much as sport and both require a dedication we don't often see in culture; lose the weight, shave your effing legs, and flaunt it boys and girls!

rugbysecondrow
05-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Maybe, though some of us just like to go for bike rides. :beer:

Grant McLean
05-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Cycling is fashion as much as sport and both require a dedication we don't often see in culture; lose the weight, shave your effing legs, and flaunt it boys and girls!

works for me.

-g

Elefantino
05-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I liked the looks and the feel when I shaved my legs - my wife did not - guess who won?
Are our wives sisters? :D

JMerring
05-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Well said

haimtoeg
05-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I never raced and quit cycling due to injury, but I still shave my legs. Why should women have all the fun?

Fixed
05-14-2011, 09:44 PM
just get a beard trimmer set it and cut it, you do not have shave it to silky gloss with a shaver and shaving cream .. unless you are are extra hairy or something
cheers

anexetastos
05-15-2011, 03:03 AM
this is one funny list. i've raced and left skin on the ground in many states and two continents, and it hurts less in the healing when there is no hair in the wound, and that's the fact, jack. my wife just shakes her head on those days when i muster the energy to shave the legs, but not the face. go figure. i have to laugh with her. it's absurd, but it's what we do. :)

FlashUNC
05-15-2011, 07:51 AM
I shave for a couple reasons:

1) it makes applying and removing sunscreen less of a messy process. After a couple family members have been diagnosed with skin cancer, I try to protect myself.

2) After laying a bike over on a group ride as a hairy legged man, I vowed not to do that again. Coping with road rash hairless is much easier.

3) It motivates me to ride more. If I'm taking the time to shave, it forces me to make time for the bike. Sure, I think it looks and feels nicer too, but nothing wrong with a smidge of vanity IMO.

JLNK
05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
I have shaved for over 20 years for two reasons: having moved to a much warmer climate from the midwest it feels better to ride in 100 degree heat with shaved legs than with hairy, and it does help with motivating me to ride.

Fixed
05-15-2011, 02:53 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=621668&postcount=4
cheers

Dekonick
05-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Firefighters don't shave their legs... at least not around here...

:beer:

avalonracing
05-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Firefighters don't shave their legs... at least not around here...

My training and racing buddy at the BWI FD would beg to differ. :bike:

firerescuefin
05-15-2011, 03:12 PM

I think that was meant for me.....Dek...."don't hate me because I'm beautiful" :cool:

lurpy
05-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Because if I don't the hair on my lower leg brushes the seat tube mounted bottle every revolution...plus most of the other reasons that have been mentioned.

Dekonick
05-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Pffft.... I mean real fire departments... ;)

Dekonick
05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I think that was meant for me.....Dek...."don't hate me because I'm beautiful" :cool:

Bingo! :)

Side note... there aren't any fires at the airport... :beer: I do love the work schedule they have...

avalonracing
05-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Of course you probably realize that they are based on the airport but service the surround area, plus they have the bonus of huge crash trucks and training for a worse case situation involving an airliner.

avalonracing
05-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Since we are all local we can ride together and you can tell him that is a girly-man, leg-shaving bike racer who works at a second rate FD. ;)

rustychain
05-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Just shave one leg

rugbysecondrow
05-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Since we are all local we can ride together and you can tell him that is a girly-man, leg-shaving bike racer who works at a second rate FD. ;)

When I go riding with my leg shaven brethren, poking fun is fair game, but so it making fun of my fat arse wheezing up a hill.

avalonracing
05-15-2011, 07:40 PM
When I go riding with my leg shaven brethren, poking fun is fair game, but so it making fun of my fat arse wheezing up a hill.

Consider it done! :beer:

rugbysecondrow
05-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Consider it done! :beer:

How about a sunrise ride, lets say 6AM.

Blue Jays
05-15-2011, 08:26 PM
It is "club-admittance" for male cyclists and "socially-promoted" for female cyclists.

fiamme red
08-12-2011, 12:18 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cyclingnews-fitness-q-and-a-august-10-2011

RE: Shaving your legs, Scott comes clean

Dear Mr Saifer,

Thank you for your reply.

But I must say I do not understand the benefits. I frequently receive professional massages at the sports club that I am a member of. The masseuse always covers my body with a towel and the massage is done through the towel so I don't think shaving the legs would make any difference. Also, are the legs the only part of the professional bodies that receive massages?

I apply a lot of sunscreen to my legs, arms, face (I have a beard) and the hair does not present any problems. Again, if applying sunscreen to shaved skin is somehow more effective, why don't pros and amateur riders shave their arms as well as their legs?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Brian

Scott Saifer says:

Hi Brian,

Okay, I have to tell you the real reason pros shave their legs. It's because pros shave their legs. There are lots of reasons to do it, but ultimately they do it because all the other riders do it. I've heard that pros shave so that it they crash and have to have bandages, the bandages won't stick to the hair, but I don't believe that most pros plan to crash so while that is a reason to shave, I don't believe that's why they do it. I've heard that hair sticks to asphalt and makes road rash worse as bigger chunks of skin get pulled off, but again, I don't think that's why they shave.

I'm not familiar with through the towel massage. I'm sure it can be done, though I suspect that it detracts from the experience when the masseur can't see what he or she is working on and there is no skin-to-skin contact. With shaved legs one can do a bit of massage anytime, anywhere without a towel or lubricant. I'm sure pros could arrange to have towels and lubricant present so again, the ability to get a massage doesn't adequately justify shaving.

It's been said that smooth legs might decrease aerodynamic drag and improve competitiveness. It's also been said that a bit of hair could act like the turbulators on airplane wings, actually deceasing wind resistance by disrupting laminar flow and easing the separation of the air from the leg. Since smooth legs being faster makes intuitive sense, aerodynamics could explain shaving. Some pros do shave their arms as well.

Some riders say they shave because "chicks dig it". Many riders say that the first few days after shaving for the first time sliding between clean sheets is an awesome experience. Maybe some pros are closet sensualists.

Bottom line though is that riders shave because pros shave, and pros shave because pros shave. There are lots of arguable reasons but I don't think individual riders necessarily have reasons in that way. On the other hand, show up at a racing club ride in a new town with hairy legs and see how you are received. You'll be accepted much more readily if your legs are smooth.

JMerring
08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
yup - "tradition and aesthetics" is my answer to the question. my wife used to not dig it, but now she does. 5-year old once asked (who was probably around 4 at the time): "daddy, how come he has hair on his legs?" i laughed.

verticaldoug
08-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Come on guys, get out the razor and kill the wookie.

130R
08-12-2011, 01:03 PM
my gf loves seeing my leg muscles and always is down to give me leg massages after long rides.

also my leg hair kinda looks like pubic hair when i grow it out :confused:

so that's why I shave my legs.

brockd15
08-12-2011, 01:07 PM
just get a beard trimmer set it and cut it, you do not have shave it to silky gloss with a shaver and shaving cream .. unless you are are extra hairy or something
cheers

If you're gonna do it, this is the way to go. Takes way less time, you can hardly tell from a foot away that they're not actually shaved, and keeps away any irritation a razor might cause.

witcombusa
08-12-2011, 01:08 PM
yup - "tradition and aesthetics" is my answer to the question.

If you really like the aesthetic, why not wear a skirt too? :confused:

But then you won't see a burly kilted Scotsman with shaved legs.... :no:

JMerring
08-12-2011, 01:16 PM
If you really like the aesthetic, why not wear a skirt too? :confused:

at least i'm honest about it (the standard retort to suggestions of effeminacy is: "i don't need hair on my legs to know that i'm a man"). and how do you know i don't? :D

witcombusa
08-12-2011, 01:24 PM
at least i'm honest about it (the standard retort to suggestions of effeminacy is: "i don't need hair on my legs to know that i'm a man"). and how do you know i don't? :D

Not a problem if you do. Simply saying that shaved legs are a femine "feature" as is a shaved face for that matter.

Are Campy riders in particular more biased in this direction? :rolleyes:

Perhaps a poll is in order!

rugbysecondrow
08-12-2011, 03:17 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78443

Here is a poll started a while back, looks like shoved legged friends are leading.

Fivethumbs
08-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I shaved my legs for a while. I have no idea why. I did end up liking it though. It just felt better with the bibs and knee/leg warmers than having hair. My wife kept bugging me that she liked my legs with hair so I stopped shaving. Now I do what Fixed says. It seems to work good enough for us both.

avalonracing
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Hey Paul, I don't know if you saw the post I added to earlier this week about my chain breaking but I have road rash on my left shoulder, arm and leg. Of the three places that I've had bandages on the only place that where it hasn't been painful to remove the bandages is my leg... Because it's shaved! :D

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78443

Here is a poll started a while back, looks like shoved legged friends are leading.

rugbysecondrow
08-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey Paul, I don't know if you saw the post I added to earlier this week about my chain breaking but I have road rash on my left shoulder, arm and leg. Of the three places that I've had bandages on the only place that where it hasn't been painful to remove the bandages is my leg... Because it's shaved! :D

Sissy. ;)

Glad you are ok. Are you taking a break from riding?

avalonracing
08-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Sissy. ;)

Glad you are ok. Are you taking a break from riding?

Nope, in fact we are going over to Ilchester to watch someone do the Highway to Heaven Hill Climb TT at 9:30 and then we are going to go do 50 miles or so in Howard County. You are welcome to join.

I guess I could have PM'd this.

rugbysecondrow
08-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Nope, in fact we are going over to Ilchester to watch someone do the Highway to Heaven Hill Climb TT at 9:30 and then we are going to go do 50 miles or so in Howard County. You are welcome to join.

Glad you are okay, lady legs and all. :)

Text me for a ride.

Bob Loblaw
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
I do it as part of race prep. It's like putting on war paint before battle.

BL

Samster
08-13-2011, 09:46 AM
... Where did I put my shears? Hmmmm.
or even better...

Dekonick
08-13-2011, 10:51 AM

I wondered... saw a bunch of folks riding Illchester yesterday... when usually folks break right up Bonnie Branch...

rugbysecondrow
08-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I wondered... saw a bunch of folks riding Illchester yesterday... when usually folks break right up Bonnie Branch...

Did you hop in line?