PDA

View Full Version : carbon drop handlebars...

ajz07
05-12-2011, 03:21 PM
this morning as I got off my trainer I noticed a lot of flex on the left side of my handlebar. Stiff as all get up on the right, but verrrry flexy on the left. Undid the bar tape and a huge crack running horizontally along the top of the carbon.

I was riding an alpha q pro-lite (attached to my '98 merlin road frame via a magnesium deda stem). Obviously I have to replace this, and thank god I found it on my trainer and not out on the road where a lot of badness could have occurred.

Does anyone have suggestions about a good stiff carbon handlebar. Or, if I am insane should I go back to alloy after this, then talk me into it. I was sort of considering the really stiff zipp slc2, because now I am really paranoid about another one breaking.

thanx for any/ all advice. Open to almost all suggestions.

ergott
05-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Get alloy and send the money you saved to me.

:)

pdmtong
05-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I only buy carbon for the shape (ritchey evolution) and not for vibration, weight, stiffness or bling. have them on 3 bikes...no issues. then again not torquing them going for the line either. just riding along.

firerescuefin
05-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I ride carbon :cool: ....most pros don't and when durability matters (rough classics), they choose alloy....you do the math.

false_Aest
05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I see nothing wrong with CF bars.

Everything breaks/fails at a certain point and everything can have a flaw accidentally built into it.

The question is this:

If you drop $$ on a new CF bar are you going to have faith in it?

And then there's the $$ issue too.

rice rocket
05-12-2011, 04:29 PM
The only bars that I "trust" in my head are the 3T Ergonova Team, and the Zipp SLC2.

They're the only carbon bars I've come across that explicitly say you can use clip-on aero bars (for the tri-dorks), so they do overbuild them to some degree. Note that this doesn't apply to any other Zipp bar, or 3T's lighter LTD bars.

AngryScientist
05-12-2011, 04:52 PM
just say no to carbon for bars and stems.

RPS
05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
this morning as I got off my trainer I noticed a lot of flex on the left side of my handlebar. Stiff as all get up on the right, but verrrry flexy on the left. Undid the bar tape and a huge crack running horizontally along the top of the carbon.

I don't have a specific recommendation and hope you don't think this is too much of a thread drift, but I'm curious about the failure. Since you had to remove tape, is it safe to assume the crack did not start at the stem clamp?

Also, where along the bar is "running along the top of the carbon"?

By the way, I only use alloy on my bikes but not because I have anything against carbon bars. I just can't justify the added cost for the amount of weight savings. It's just not a high priority for me.

ajz07
05-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't have a specific recommendation and hope you don't think this is too much of a thread drift, but I'm curious about the failure. Since you had to remove tape, is it safe to assume the crack did not start at the stem clamp?

Also, where along the bar is "running along the top of the carbon"?

So the crack is completely concealed by the bar tape (which ends ~an inch from either side of the stem clamp). The alpha q pro lite handlebar is shaped a bit like the k-wing or any other handlebar that has outpouchings along the tops that are wider to allow for better hand grips. The crack starts at the beginning of one of these outpouchings and runs for ~2 inches. It is located almost exactly midline on the side away where one sits. I will try to take a picture later, but not currently at home.

I think carbon does deaden the road vibrations and I like that. I am not a fat guy by any means, but I am sure that the difference between an alloy handlebar and a carbon one is weight I could stand to lose regardless. As I only have two bikes, I dont mind the price of CF (if I had more then I would be seriously adverse).

bfd
05-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I see nothing wrong with CF bars.

Everything breaks/fails at a certain point and everything can have a flaw accidentally built into it.

The question is this:

If you drop $$ on a new CF bar are you going to have faith in it?

And then there's the $$ issue too.

My buddy put on an Easton carbon bar on his Merlin. At a rest stop, his bike was leaning against a wall and a big wind came and blew his bike down. When he started to ride the bar was wiggly. He rode home gingerly and when h pulled the tape off found the bar cracked! He put may be 100 miles on it. When he grief to warranty it thru a shop, they were told it was an "act of god," and denied his claim. Easton did offer a 20% off coupon. My buddy bought an alloy bar....

jgspin
05-12-2011, 07:19 PM
I just went back to an alloy bar from an Easton CF bar. There was nothing wrong with the Easton except for the shape; I prefer the gradual curve of the alloy I have plus a little bit of peace of mind. It's only about 40 grams more, less than the weight of full Cliff bar.

1happygirl
05-12-2011, 07:25 PM
My buddy put on an Easton carbon bar on his Merlin. At a rest stop, his bike was leaning against a wall and a big wind came and blew his bike down. When he started to ride the bar was wiggly. He rode home gingerly and when h pulled the tape off found the bar cracked! He put may be 100 miles on it. When he grief to warranty it thru a shop, they were told it was an "act of god," and denied his claim. Easton did offer a 20% off coupon. My buddy bought an alloy bar....

You're scaring me.

ergott
05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love carbon. I just don't see the allure of using it for bars. The only exception being bar/stem combos which is a much better use of the material.

bicycletricycle
05-12-2011, 07:50 PM
+1 on this, especially stems, they arent lighter and since you dont grab onto them it doesnt matter if they are bulgy ergo shapes or not.

just say no to carbon for bars and stems.

Jason E
05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love carbon. I just don't see the allure of using it for bars. The only exception being bar/stem combos which is a much better use of the material.

I remember riding with a buddy a few years back with a set of Rams that pulled hard during a town line sprint and broke his integrated-combo... ;)

Those were hot though, I bet they are better now.

I'm ready to try some alloy.

ergott
05-13-2011, 05:51 AM
I remember riding with a buddy a few years back with a set of Rams that pulled hard during a town line sprint and broke his integrated-combo... ;)

Those were hot though, I bet they are better now.

I'm ready to try some alloy.

The free replacement they sent me is still active (limited use though).

:banana:

Deda is my top pick. They have both classic shapes and an anatomic bar that doesn't look ridiculous.