PDA

View Full Version : Avocet Saddles

goonster
05-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Are Avocet still in business?

Anyone know a retailer/e-tailer that has them in stock?

http://pacificpedaling.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/saddle_avocet2.jpg

fiamme red
05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't see anything from Avocet in the QBP catalog. I don't know if they're still in business, or all that's left is an inactive website.

I believe that their saddles were made by Selle Italia, by the way.

biker72
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
They have a website.
http://www.avocet.com/saddlepages/saddles.html

bfd
05-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't see anything from Avocet in the QBP catalog. I don't know if they're still in business, or all that's left is an inactive website.

I believe that their saddles were made by Selle Italia, by the way.

Avocet has/had a weird distribution philosophy.For whatever reason, they never liked using 3rd party wholesale distributors like QBP, so you won't see their products in one of those catalogs. Instead, Avocet preferred to sell direct to shops. However, shops preferred not to order direct as that can be a big commitment. Bottom line, shops basically forgot about Avocet and their products just faded away. At one time, Avocet dominated the market on things like cyclocomputers (one of the first and used by a G. Lemond in the Tour); great saddles and sold one of the best tires. They also had components like cranks, hubs and seatpost. Then, they just faded away....

Note, at least 2 years ago, someone at Avocet still answered the phone. Supposedly, saddles and tires are coming.

At this point, there may be a few shops with NOS Avocet saddles, but not many. Good Luck sourcing it!

hockeybike
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM
More importantly, what kind of seatpost is that?

fiamme red
05-12-2011, 01:36 PM
More importantly, what kind of seatpost is that?Looks like a Nitto Wayback.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/nitto-wayback-seat-post-272-x-250mm/11-048

Louis
05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
and sold one of the best tires

You must be talking about the FasGrips. Those used to be my favorites. A while back Bob Lickton used to carry them. Not sure if they still do.

As you said, the brand seems to have been fading away.

Edit: I just checked and LickBike no longer has Avocet tires.

RPS
05-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Are Avocet still in business?

Anyone know a retailer/e-tailer that has them in stock?

This thread was similar; I also asked for help on replacement saddle for my wife.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=46517&highlight=Avocet+saddle

I ordered and got one of the classic women's saddle for her because she doesn't like the anatomical models we had. This reminds me I need to see if I can contact Craig again and order a couple for myself.

fiamme red
05-12-2011, 01:46 PM
At one time, Avocet dominated the market on things like cyclocomputers (one of the first and used by a G. Lemond in the Tour); great saddles and sold one of the best tires. They also had components like cranks, hubs and seatpost. Then, they just faded away....At one time, there were many Avocet-branded parts: computers, saddles, and tires, of course, but also headsets, bottom brackets, cranks, hubs, seatposts, toe clips, toe straps, and pedals (many of these parts were made by Ofmega). Not to mention clothing, and touring shoes (of which I still have a pair).

Too bad that Avocet products are no longer available. I really liked the simplicity of their cyclocomputers.

IRC, who made their tires, is no longer a big name in the American market, but for all I know they may still be big in Japan.

bfd
05-12-2011, 02:02 PM
At one time, there were many Avocet-branded parts: computers, saddles, and tires, of course, but also headsets, bottom brackets, cranks, hubs, seatposts, toe clips, toe straps, and pedals (many of these parts were made by Ofmega). Not to mention clothing, and touring shoes (of which I still have a pair).

Too bad that Avocet products are no longer available. I really liked the simplicity of their cyclocomputers.

IRC, who made their tires, is no longer a big name in the American market, but for all I know they may still be big in Japan.

If I recall correctly, IRC made Avocet tires. The Japanes-made black/tan sidewalls were excellent.

In either the late 90s or early 2000s, IRC moved its tire production to Korea, when Avocet sold an all-black "Fasgrip" tires. It wasn't a big hit and/or the marketing was poor and never picked up. Then about 5 years ago or so, the Korean plant burned down. I haven't heard whether IRC ever built another facility and to my knowledge, Avocet is out of the tire business. Too bad....

Ken Robb
05-12-2011, 03:36 PM
If I recall correctly, IRC made Avocet tires. The Japanes-made black/tan sidewalls were excellent.

In either the late 90s or early 2000s, IRC moved its tire production to Korea, when Avocet sold an all-black "Fasgrip" tires. It wasn't a big hit and/or the marketing was poor and never picked up. Then about 5 years ago or so, the Korean plant burned down. I haven't heard whether IRC ever built another facility and to my knowledge, Avocet is out of the tire business. Too bad....

I like(d) their Cross and Cross II tires for road/offroad riding. Still have a pair of 26" on my MB-3.

bigflax925
05-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I still see Avocet Fasgrips turning up from time to time. Are they totally gone and I'm just seeing NOS examples?

Somewhere in my boxes, I have several Avocet 30 computers (the original two big button one), as well as some Avocet 35's and their mounting hardware.

I loved their shoes... and most all of their branded stuff. Very simple and efficient. Like the old Rhode Gear.