PDA

View Full Version : Quick Camp Record 11 Adjustment Questions for you Pros

terrytnt
05-12-2011, 08:33 AM
When I shift from the 53 to the 39 I often lose the chain (between the 39 and bottom crank). Now I know how to adjust the FD limit screw, but when I bring it in, then my chain rubs against the FD in 39/23.

Is there another adjustment I should be considering?

thanks pros!

David Kirk
05-12-2011, 08:38 AM
It sounds as if the FD cage needs to be rotated just a bit to align it with the rings. When viewed from above the outer plate on the cage should be parallel to the rings.

What do you think?

Dave

FlashUNC
05-12-2011, 08:43 AM
It sounds as if the FD cage needs to be rotated just a bit to align it with the rings. When viewed from above the outer plate on the cage should be parallel to the rings.

What do you think?

Dave

+1. I had a similar issue dropping the chain when I first got my compact crank a few years back. Seriously, you'd just need to look at it sideways and the chain would drop.

Finally got the cage lined up properly, and those problems magically disappeared.

oldpotatoe
05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
When I shift from the 53 to the 39 I often lose the chain (between the 39 and bottom crank). Now I know how to adjust the FD limit screw, but when I bring it in, then my chain rubs against the FD in 39/23.

Is there another adjustment I should be considering?

thanks pros!

Tail in towards the frame, when in small ring and biggest cog, chain should be really close to the inner cage w/o rubbing on it. If still a problem, get a chain watcher. Third Eye, JumpStop, others.

terrytnt
05-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys... the outer plate on the cage is perfectly parallel to the 53 chain ring. It's also parallel when in the 39 chain ring.

Funny thing is I can't seem to duplicate when on the track stand. It's almost like when I'm spinning in the 53 and quickly change to the 39 as a hill approaches that I sometimes loose the chain. On my ride home this morning I tried not shifting so quickly and that seemed to help. Also, thought perhaps I try shift just 1 or 2 clicks not all 3 or 4 to see if that helps. Mind you, this doesn't happen all the time, perhaps 2 chain losses on a 40+ mile ride, but still annoying.

thoughts?

oldpotatoe
05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys... the outer plate on the cage is perfectly parallel to the 53 chain ring. It's also parallel when in the 39 chain ring.

Funny thing is I can't seem to duplicate when on the track stand. It's almost like when I'm spinning in the 53 and quickly change to the 39 as a hill approaches that I sometimes loose the chain. On my ride home this morning I tried not shifting so quickly and that seemed to help. Also, thought perhaps I try shift just 1 or 2 clicks not all 3 or 4 to see if that helps. Mind you, this doesn't happen all the time, perhaps 2 chain losses on a 40+ mile ride, but still annoying.

thoughts?

Jump stop, 3rd eye, this if brazeon-

http://fairwheelbikes.com/far-and-near-chain-deflector-p-2310.html

I have all 3...

short stays on the bike, sometimes it happens.

Ralph
05-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Put some more spring tension on the RD by either adjusting B screw (turn screw backward just a tad.....opposite what you would think to do) or take a couple links out. Sounds to me like the RD can't take up slack fast enough. I've had same problem before, and this fixed it.

terrytnt
05-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks Ralph, I'll probably take it in to my LBS Campy Pro, and let him either adj the screw or take a link out.

many thanks,

tnt

Ralph
05-12-2011, 04:25 PM
If that's what is the problem, and it might not be, no need to take to LBS to find out. There is a screw on the pulley wheel cage near where that cage attaches to RD body, turn that screw backward 1/4-1/2 a turn and see what happens. You may have to turn bike upside down to see it....if you don't have a work stand. Won't hurt anything to turn screw and see what happens. Some say this does not affect chain tension in the normal way on the new Campy rear derailleurs, but I have found it affects chain drop...especially if you are trying to use a chain on the long side.

terrytnt
05-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Okay Ralph, found the screw and turned it 1/2 turn counterclockwise... I see what happens on Friday morning's ride.

thanks,

tnt

Ralph
05-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Well.....It's either FD adjustment, as noted above, or too much slack in chain, when you shift fast, for the RD to take up quickly. It won't hurt to shift in front a little careful for a while til you get it figured out.

terrytnt
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
will do....

Dave
05-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Extra-short chainstays can also contribute to this problem. I owned a Cervelo with 399mm stays. Running a triple, it would drop the chain nearly every time, unless I shifted to the little ring from the third largest cog (or smaller). Same crank and FD on other frames never had this problem. I sold that frame after riding if for 200 miles. Never had that problem again.

terrytnt
05-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Problem may be fixed! At least during today's ride, no slipped chain issues. Perhaps the minor pulley adjmt worked. I'll keep a watch...

thanks guys,