PDA

View Full Version : Any filmmakers on the board?

MattTuck
05-12-2011, 07:17 AM
I have an idea for a cycling related documentary/film, and figured I'd share it here to see if there is any interest from fellow forum members.

The general thrust of the film would be on up hill road races. I think the narrative would follow a "normal" (ie. not a racer type) rider, and their efforts to get a certain time on the Mt. Washington Hill Climb... follow their training, maybe their weight loss efforts, diet, the other hill climb events, maybe technical issues of gearing and bike fit (maybe serotta could do a special fitting for a climbing bike), and hopefully conclude with a successful ascent of Mt. Washington.

I think the goal would be to make it interesting to the general public, but maybe something that cyclists would really enjoy with a combination of riding footage and inspirational (maybe) story.

I have different ideas about who the "protagonist" could be, either a person with a real job trying to do get fit on the side, or maybe more like "Paper Tiger", where the protagonist commits 100% of time and effort to reach a goal well beyond what they could do on the side. (Not yet taking volunteers, as I'm sure there would be many).

Anyway, have been thinking about it for a while, and figured I'd share it with folks and see if anyone else is interested. Feel free to contact me if you are and we can chat. I would be interested in talking to anyone with film experience, and/or potential investors for the project.

Cheers,
Matt

Elefantino
05-12-2011, 07:30 AM
My son is. In fact, he's moving to LA next month to work as a DP for two production companies. I'll see if he has any interest.

If the special effects can make me look like Contador, I'm in.

Climb01742
05-12-2011, 07:57 AM
you'd never get the rights, but as someone's who has done MW twice, i always thought the perfect soundtrack song is REM's 'everybody hurts'. good luck with your project. universal sports runs a lot of documentaries of similar subject matter. there might be funding there, or perhaps a broadcast outlet. if you pull it off, on the day of filming the race, pray the weather cooperates.

chuckred
05-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Have you seen the Race Across the Sky documentaries about Leadville? While the Lance and Levi stories are of course a big part of them, there's also lots of "regular" people and also some very touching stories about what there motivations are.

It might help you tune in on who your protagonist should be.

The neat thing about events like Leadville, and I suppose Mt. washington a nd the Mt evens hill climbs- they give all of us Walter Mitty types a chance for a very immediate and painful comparison to the pros. What other sport can you do that with?

Kontact
05-12-2011, 08:22 AM
What would distinguish this story from documentaries about RAM, Ironman or other amateur embraced endurance stories? As a cyclish, I am intrigued by the idea of uphill racing, but would the general public find this too obscure? IOW, what's the hook?

MattTuck
05-12-2011, 08:23 AM
...if you pull it off, on the day of filming the race, pray the weather cooperates.

Haha, true. Although, rain and wind could make for a more 'epic' climax.

I wonder how much rights to a song like that would be though, it's not like it is going into a main stream movie... and the record companies are hurting now, maybe they'd be willing to talk ;)

Haven't seen the Leadville piece yet, but it sounds interesting. I've heard some interesting stories about Levi.

I know that Tom Danielson and Tyler Hamilton are both past winners at MW. I wonder if the UCI will sponsor the project to allow the "protagonist" to be on the Biological Passport and ensure that he is racing clean. :rolleyes:

MattTuck
05-12-2011, 08:37 AM
What would distinguish this story from documentaries about RAM, Ironman or other amateur embraced endurance stories? As a cyclish, I am intrigued by the idea of uphill racing, but would the general public find this too obscure? IOW, what's the hook?

Well, there's a difference between making it "interesting" and creating mass market appeal. I don't think this is the type of thing that is gonna be shown on network TV. The aspects of a story that make it interesting are the characters, the story telling and the actual cinematography. I think that a worthy goal would be to submit it to Banff Mountain Film Festival or other similar events.

The general public finds the sport of curling interesting for a few weeks every 4 years, so I am less concerned about the obscurity. Almost everyone (strike that, MANY people) knows how to ride a bike, and if the 'hook' is about someone who is normal, trying to get in shape and compete at a high level, that is a story many people wish they could do themselves. hell, there's an entire franchise of shows about people losing weight! So, we're certainly within the halo of mass market appeal.

As far as what makes up hill racing unique compared to other events, the races are generally short. MW is 7.6 miles if I recall, so it's not a LONG race like an Ironman or RAM. Mt. Washington is also interesting due to the notoriously foul weather, the fact it is the highest point in New England, there is the fact that any 'fit' person, with low enough gearing can get up it, and like climbing on bike in general, it all comes down to just you against the hill, the incline is the opponent, not the other riders.

yngpunk
05-12-2011, 09:26 AM
you'd never get the rights, but as someone's who has done MW twice, i always thought the perfect soundtrack song is REM's 'everybody hurts'.

:beer: I was always a fan of Bob Dylan's "Blowin' In The Wind" as an appropriate song for these types of efforts. Esp. this verse: "How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?"

johnnymossville
05-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I think it's a great idea. Of course it's a niche topic, but it's a beautiful sport in a beautiful setting, with many many beautiful characters taking part.

With dedication and a small group of people to produce it I think you could pull it off without too much expense, other than a lot of time/effort/talent.

I've worked on some documentaries over the last 5 years for PBS, and am working on one as I type this on the War of 1812. (200th anniversary is coming up)

Good luck with your idea.

1happygirl
05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey, cool idea. I admit I'm a sucker for all the cycling vids especially when you cant get out and ride.
Just watched Team409 (about the 60+ 4man RAAM team) this weekend and as yng says music is important. I meant to write them. Didn't wanna hurt their feelings 'cuz I think they wrote their own, but slow, boring and depressing music. Didn't fit with a fast, world record run across the country. But music is the horse b4 the cart anyway.

I have also seen some nice "handlebar" videos where the rider has a helmet cam and narrates it him/her self. The other RAAM video I can't remember but iirc was better. Watch several. Idk but it seems like you should be able to at least make your money back and it would be fun. If you just break even, cool resume', filmaker

ps or you could donate proceeds to American Cycling Development. I think the movie "The Tour Baby" made a ton for livestrong.