PDA

View Full Version : The wind!!!

akelman
05-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Ever since my riding buddy bought a carbon bike, the winds have been howling. I'm pretty sure what we're feeling is the collective sighs of a thousand exploited Chinese children who work on the line assembling these bikes*. Seriously, this spring has been just awful, with only a few quiet days. In addition to facing near-constant headwinds, because of all the pollen in the air, I've definitively answered a question that has stumped generations of physicians: "How much snot can one nose produce?" "Always more," it seems. Anyway, I'm not sure if we need to push my friend's bike into a volcano to appease the weather gods or maybe my friend and his bike have got to go in together. Whatever, something's gotta change.

* This is a joke. I'm truly not spoiling for a political fight. I try to be responsible about my consumption choices, but I don't care at all if my buddy buys a plastic bike made in China. After all, I have more Apple products than anyone this side of Steve Jobs. Glass houses and all that.

regularguy412
05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I'll agree with windy conditions this spring. Now it has turned to rain for most of the last 3 weeks. Finally this week, it has warmed up and calmed down. I've ridden in enough wind this spring,, I guess I'm a little de-sensitized to it.

Just glad for more daylight and warmer weather.

Mike in AR:beer:

firerescuefin
05-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Ari...please offer up that bike soon. I can't take much more....yes, it has been much worse this year. I am a victim :rolleyes:

godfrey1112000
05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Ti made in New York State, save the children

It has been blowing in Kansas all year

Ever since my riding buddy bought a carbon bike, the winds have been howling. I'm pretty sure what we're feeling is the collective sighs of a thousand exploited Chinese children who work on the line assembling these bikes*. Seriously, this spring has been just awful, with only a few quiet days. In addition to facing near-constant headwinds, because of all the pollen in the air, I've definitively answered a question that has stumped generations of physicians: "How much snot can one nose produce?" "Always more," it seems. Anyway, I'm not sure if we need to push my friend's bike into a volcano to appease the weather gods or maybe my friend and his bike have got to go in together. Whatever, something's gotta change.

* This is a joke. I'm truly not spoiling for a political fight. I try to be responsible about my consumption choices, but I don't care at all if my buddy buys a plastic bike made in China. After all, I have more Apple products than anyone this side of Steve Jobs. Glass houses and all that.

FlashUNC
05-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Winds here in NC has been equally hellish through March and April. Looks like they've finally let up in May.

Bob Loblaw
05-12-2011, 07:30 AM
CT has been a wind-fest too. As a by-product, the allergies are murder as well. At least it's warm enough that I'm down to knee-warmers and a light base layer under the jersey!

danielpack22@ma
05-12-2011, 08:02 AM
A good friend bought an IF Crown Jewel. On the day the LBS built it up, it rained. The first half dozen times he rode it - it rained. Took the bike to its first event (Assault on the Carolinas) - it rained - and hailed!

Most people have a "rain" bike to ride in bad weather. He has a "rain" bike that makes bad weather.

konstantkarma
05-12-2011, 09:00 AM
A purchase of a good used steel CSI would have pleased the windy gods, I'm sure. :)

mnoble485
05-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Enough bit@hing. What do you guys do? I seem to just get real discouraged and whine like a little girl. Any solutions or is just "grin and bear it?"

Mike

MattTuck
05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
When do you ride? in general, winds in the early morning are less ferocious. Maybe worth waking up earlier?

firerescuefin
05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Enough bit@hing. What do you guys do? I seem to just get real discouraged and whine like a little girl. Any solutions or is just "grin and bear it?"

Mike

Train in it (after awhile it's just not very enjoyable...and don't tell me imagine it's a climb)....get on the trainer......or lose fitness. I have chosen a combo of all three.

FlashUNC
05-12-2011, 09:24 AM

Mike

Pick a route that's a headwind out for the first half, and pray the winds haven't shifted to allow a nice tailwind back in on the second half of the ride.

Naturally, on 99% of my rides, the wind shifts (or at least feels like it does) and I'm left with nothing but headwind the whole way.

russ46
05-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Wind is good, in particular CT wind!

Just like Wonder Bread, it builds strong bodies 8 or 12 ways (depending on how old you are).

victoryfactory
05-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Ti made in New York State, save the children

It has been blowing in Kansas all year

Where is that Titanium mine in New York located?

Think Global

ahumblecycler
05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I live just north of Kansas City, MO side, and commute to work on the KS side every business day. The winds have been on par this year, and I would say 10 times gusts in the 40+ range (twice 50+). I have ridden in it every day.

1happygirl
05-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Ugghhhh. I'll pay twice for the bike to er, dispose of it if it will help.

Wind is why I'm sick. Thanks wind.

mack
05-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Embrace the wind, make friends, adjust your mindset.........riding with mate last weekend, who typically kills me in all sports we do together, could not hold my wheel for anything in the strong headwind.....reluctantly, I shared with him "it's all in your head" as I recovered enough to speak after he dropped me on a hill!?
cheers -mack

Aaron O
05-13-2011, 10:14 AM

I'll probably be skinned alive for saying this, but countries and economies have to start somewhere. It's better to have low pay, exploitative jobs than NO jobs...and as time goes by, the wages will rise and workers will push for better treatment. Of course then a lot of the manufacturing will leave for the next country to exploit.

When there is little production and few jobs, people will work for peanuts. We didn't start with decent wages in the US...people had to fight for them. Some died. But before that could happen, there had to be a manufacturing/job base for there to be employees.