PDA

View Full Version : Police cycling jersey

jgspin
05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
We were riding thru the affluent part of Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego yesterday when this woman started honking, pointing fingers, and cursing at us. She accelerated then slowed down and did the same thing to our leader who was a bit ahead of us. We've never encountered so much aggressive behavior especially in this part of the city. It got me thinking what if we had a jersey that had a POLICE imprint on it. Would it make motorists think twice about harassing cyclists?

Did a search and found an ad here in the classifieds but could not find any images. The Police jerseys on ebay refer to the band? Any of you have a jersey that has some kind of law enforcement imprint and has that helped curb the aggression?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/printthread.php?t=21171.

gdw
05-11-2011, 03:41 PM
It won't work. Cops don't ride road bikes while on duty. :banana:

Nooch
05-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Primal makes some Millitary jersey's, but I'd advise against wearing a "Police" jersey at it may be seen as impersonation of an officer...

The wife wears her father's NYPD jacket from time to time, and I often wonder if she should..

redir
05-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm quite sure it would work for the most part however is it legal? And will you become the target of some maniac that just got busted for something? My old team had blue kits that resemble the same color as our local bike cops and it's funny when I wear that especially with my front blinky light on around dusk. I've actually seen people pull over thinking they were busted :)

avalonracing
05-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Around here (Baltimore) wearing a Police jersey could be even more dangerous.

rugbysecondrow
05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
As an aside, why do some women do this? Guys might actually get mad enough to fight, but when a chick gets lippy and abusive like this driver did, it is likely because she fears zero reprocussions. She thinks a guy will not punch her if the opportunity arose. Not a gamble I would want my wife to make.

I was with Dekonick on a ride once when these chicks started getting lippy and ????ty with us...they are lucky we are gentleman. Some guys are not so nice.

We were riding thru the affluent part of Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego yesterday when this woman started honking, pointing fingers, and cursing at us. She accelerated then slowed down and did the same thing to our leader who was a bit ahead of us. We've never encountered so much aggressive behavior especially in this part of the city. It got me thinking what if we had a jersey that had a POLICE imprint on it. Would it make motorists think twice about harassing cyclists?

Did a search and found an ad here in the classifieds but could not find any images. The Police jerseys on ebay refer to the band? Any of you have a jersey that has some kind of law enforcement imprint and has that helped curb the aggression?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/printthread.php?t=21171.

jischr
05-11-2011, 04:20 PM
A local shop had some t-shirts that said 'support County Police'. 'Support' was in 12 pt font. 'County Police' was in three inch letters. I don't recall anyone saying they felt safer while wearing them.

FixedNotBroken
05-11-2011, 04:20 PM
It won't work. Cops don't ride road bikes while on duty. :banana:

Yes they do..they ride mountain bikes. Depending on where you live..there are cyclist cops.

bicycletricycle
05-11-2011, 04:25 PM
maybe you could carry something that would fit in your jersey pocket that usually only cops carry so that when you pulled it out people would think you were a cop, like a fake badge or a ...... bottle of pepper spray.

Birddog
05-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Here are a couple of ideas
"Do you have tickets to the gunshow?" jersey
podiumcycling.com
"I am packing" jersey
Bikingthings.com

gdw
05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw
It won't work. Cops don't ride road bikes while on duty. "

"Yes they do..they ride mountain bikes. Depending on where you live..there are cyclist cops."

Once again, Cops don't ride ROAD bikes while on duty. Trek, Cannondale, Smith & Wesson, etc do not bring road bikes to the national police conferences and trade shows. Trust me on that one. That roadies would pretend to be police officers while on group rides is amusing and also pretty pathetic.

Dekonick
05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
As an aside, why do some women do this? Guys might actually get mad enough to fight, but when a chick gets lippy and abusive like this driver did, it is likely because she fears zero reprocussions. She thinks a guy will not punch her if the opportunity arose. Not a gamble I would want my wife to make.

I was with Dekonick on a ride once when these chicks started getting lippy and ????ty with us...they are lucky we are gentleman. Some guys are not so nice.

and they were in such a hurry - matching team kit... LOL had forgotten about them. :rolleyes:

rice rocket
05-11-2011, 06:51 PM

I've had that happen too. But I've had guys throw magazines at me too. And bottles.

1happygirl
05-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Some guys are not so nice.
yep i was in my car and just honked when a guy tried to push me into a barricade by coming over into my lane and he pulled in front of me,then stopped & the passenger got out picked up a construction concrete boulder looked at me and took it back into the car. Peeps r crazy! Scary.

How 'bout this jersey? Hahahahahah

BumbleBeeDave
05-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Did you guys ever find out exactly what she was so exercised about? What was the outcome of the incident?

BBD

parris
05-11-2011, 07:20 PM
You do not want to wear anything out in public that may make people really believe that you're L.E. given the climate in many places today that's like sticking a great big bullseye on your back.

bart998
05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I would never let anyone think you are a cop. Many people don't like cops and may shoot you. Best just to let the idiot drive on.... and carry pepper spray in case they don't.

avalonracing
05-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Competitive Cyclist sells a pretty serious looking pepper spray.

rice rocket
05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I saw that, but I ended up getting a canister one which is in the mail now. I'm not sure I'd want a squirt gun for a pepper spray, I'd want something pressurized so I wouldn't have to fumble with it and could give a constant stream so I could aim it while spraying.

I have this on the way...

http://www.j5logistics.com/shop/images/th_FOX4.jpg

Fox Labs 5.3 Mk4, 3 oz seemed like a manageable size.

Don49
05-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Any of you have a jersey that has some kind of law enforcement imprint and has that helped curb the aggression?

There's all kinds of military cycling jerseys out there. Maybe a Marine Corp or Navy SEAL jersey would do the job. SEAL's are deservedly popular right now.

http://www.bikingthings.com/nasebijeshan.html
http://www.priorservice.com/usmacocyje.html

Elefantino
05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't ride ... don't ride so ... don't ride so close to me.

http://static.musictoday.com/store/bands/93/product_large/5OCM18.JPG

jeo99
05-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Michigan has an "Open Carry" law. You can carry a sidearm openly here if you wanted! You may also apply for a Concealed Pistol License or CPL and carry in your bag. That may deter or invite. I don't know.

:rolleyes:

jgspin
05-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Did you guys ever find out exactly what she was so exercised about? What was the outcome of the incident?

BBD

I don't know why she was so incensed but since I was in the middle of the pack, I am thinking she might have thought one of the guys or ladies in the back might have been too close to the middle of the road and she couldn't pass; it was one lane in both directions. But she also berated my friend up front who was very close to the edge of the road on the right. It was a 35 mph zone and she was way over the limit. I really don't know why she was so angry. She sped out of there.

Will they behave and be nicer to us if they see helmet cam?

darkadious
05-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes they do..they ride mountain bikes. Depending on where you live..there are cyclist cops.
i don't think a mountain bike would be considered a road bike :cool: .

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Will they behave and be nicer to us if they see helmet cam?

. . . they recognize what it is, and for most people I think that's unlikely.

BBD

rice rocket
05-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Just hope you don't come across any cops...that's 6-16 years in jail for filming them. :rolleyes:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/videotaping-cops-arrest/story?id=11179076

http://orlandocopwatch.com/action-alert-trial-of-john-kurtz-facing-6-years-in-prison-for-videotaping-police/

jgspin
05-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I probably wouldn't knowingly videotape a uniformed cop unless he did something so blatantly similar. For the most part drivers are fairly courteous where we ride but they seem to be more brazen and kind of buzz me when I ride alone. When I ride with a group, drivers often give us a wider berth.