PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Shifter Maintenance?

bikerboy337
05-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Is there any maintenance that you perform on your campy shifters? I have seen the overhaul video on youtube, which is nice, but is there any lube/greasing that you do on the levers? I've never done any work on my shifters, and wondering if there is any maintenance that is done on them...

FYI, I've got 06 chorus and 08 record currently...

Thanks.

AngryScientist
05-11-2011, 10:23 AM
if they're shifting fine, dont mess with them.

bikerboy337
05-11-2011, 10:33 AM
figured, just wanted to check... they both shift great... just wasnt sure if there is any cleaning/lubing that people do or that campy reccommends...

Dave
05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Minor lubrication of the thumb button pivot, or the pivot are under the brake lever won't hurt. Some people manage to corrode the area with sweat. Some models do have a hole in the ergo body, where a drop or two of oil could be applied, but it must be minimal, or it will run under the bar tape. The ergobrain button hole is not for lubrication.

guylimey
05-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Just ride 'em! The Campy grease seems to be a good lubricant and provides mile after mile of flawless shifting.

Bob Loblaw
05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
This.

I rebuilt my shifter, and the innards are thoroughly greased when assembled. If you try to oil it or clean it, you run the risk of flushing out the grease. If you feel the need to oil the exposed thumb button pivot, as Dave says here, that wouldn't hurt anything. Other than that, ride it till the shifting goes south, rebuild, repeat.

BL

Minor lubrication of the thumb button pivot, or the pivot are under the brake lever won't hurt. Some people mamage to corrode the area with sweat. Some models do have a hole in the ergo body, where a drop or two of oil could be applied, but it must be minimal, or it will run under the bar tape. The ergobrain button hole is not for lubrication.

maunahaole
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
+1 on Dave's suggestion to get the thumb pivot button. You should use something that is really thin, like boeshield or a light chain lube and then only a couple of drops and work it into the pivot. Do this every couple months. The shifter does not like to behave if the thumb pivot is frozen in place.