PDA

View Full Version : OT - Opinions from car guys

KeithS
05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
I have a friend who is the GM at a local Mercedes dealership. He bought a trade in a few years ago that my wife really liked, she always said if you sell it you need to sell it to me. Its a 1995 Mercedes E320 Cabriolet convertable. 60K miles pristine. Very reasonable. Did some checking and the price is more than fair. I'm saying yes, any comments from you car guys. I am an avowed non car guy.

Climb01742
05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
the car was made before the bean-counters started de-contenting MBs. given how expensive those cars were new, they are fairly rare, so that's cool. MBs can last essentially forever if properly taken care of...yet that upkeep won't be cheap. that car is more of an elegant mode of transport, rather than a driver's car. if it's your cup of tea, it will taste delicious.

David Kirk
05-10-2011, 06:29 PM
The little I know about MB's is that they are very nice cars that are very expensive to maintain and repair. It would be worth seeing the service records to see that it's up to date. I have no idea if this car has a timing chain or a belt but if it has a belt and it needs replacement (which they do on a scheduled basis) that cost enough to get your attention.

You can check with something like consumer reports on used car records and they will show how the repair and maintenance costs stack up.

Have fun.

Dave

Frankwurst
05-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I have a friend who is the GM at a local Mercedes dealership. He bought a trade in a few years ago that my wife really liked, she always said if you sell it you need to sell it to me. Its a 1995 Mercedes E320 Cabriolet convertable. 60K miles pristine. Very reasonable. Did some checking and the price is more than fair. I'm saying yes, any comments from you car guys. I am an avowed non car guy.

A Benz is expensive to maintain. That being said I bought my parents 1980 420SEL with 115000 miles (it now has 124k) on it and my wife thinks it's the coolest thing since me (or so she says) actually those are my words.. It is in my words, the finest touring sedan made. I'd buy another Benz in a heartbeat. The technology of the 1980 we own is unbeliveable given a car that sports collector plates. 60k on a Benz is nothing. If the price is right and your not interested let me know. :beer:

Frankwurst
05-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I need to learn how to type. two responses in the time it took me to type mine. Just the same expensive to maintain but cool. :beer:

biker72
05-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I have very limited knowledge of Mercedes B so I'd look at consumer reports.

I do know a couple that have both a Mercedes and a Lexus. The Lexus goes to the shop to get the oil changed. The Mercedes has been in numerous times for repairs. Both vehicles were purchased new.

A very very small sampling of data.. :)

firerescuefin
05-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Benz for the wife...Mini for the daughter...sounds like Keith is due for a new bicycle.

Edmunds.com has a useful maintenance estimating app on their site

KeithS
05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
My father in-law has been driving MB's since 1972. Loved them all, I have too. This car was only made 3 years, and was about $80K new. Black with black leather. I've ridden in it but never driven. Now the Porsche Cayan he drove for a while was a really cool car too, not much for leg room in the back, but then I don't ride in the back much.

Point taken on maintnenace. This has been owned first by a local TV anchor who took meticulous care and then by my friend Doug, the GM at an MB dealer, who did the same. I will check out the timing chain/belt.

Pete Serotta
05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
As others have said..it is a classic,built sturdy,and requires $$$$ to maintain but if it puts a smile on your face do it! If all you want is transportation get a Toyota or Honda.

Life is short get the one that adds smiles and fun to you

Pete

KeithS
05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Benz for the wife...Mini for the daughter...sounds like Keith is due for a new bicycle.

Edmunds.com has a useful maintenance estimating app on their site

That was KeithA.

firerescuefin
05-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Benz for wife still qualifies you according to contract law (in the small print) of most marriages.ymmv

1happygirl
05-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Ditto on the maintenance. The newer models iirc say Consumer Reports are prone to lots of little breakages and not reliable due to this. FWIW. Don't know about different years. My friend whose family owns a dealership said she would never own another. YMMV.
Oh and ps I'm not a guy and I've been out of car info a long time.

avalonracing
05-10-2011, 07:44 PM
The "A Service" (which is basically an oil change and wiper fluid) is $199 at the MB dealership for my C-Class. Ouch.

That said, I really like the car and it has been reliable. Probably because I spent the extra money for an extended warranty. :D

RkyMtn
05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
+1 on the maintenance costs. I have an ML350 from 2007 and the maintenance costs were $2800 for four years of "scheduled" maintenance. Just had the brake pads, fluids and rotors changed buy a certified non-dealer German auto shop and this service ran $950 parts and labor. Dealership quoted me $1250 for same parts and labor, but offered a $20 Off coupon (LOL). The other side of this is that MB uses very high quality parts (Brembo brakes), so you are not paying 50% more for low quality parts (my first car was an S10 Blazer - and don't get me started about my complaints and conversations with a General Motors tech who climbed his way up to only servicing Corvettes. OK - I had to get the front end ball joints replaced and I asked this tech is it a GM part quality issue or a design issue? His answer: "Both". - Thank goodness I can laugh about it now.)

The car has been completely reliable and runs like an equivalently priced swiss watch. I have been in 2 accidents and it was drivable after each. Very well built!!! I feel very safe in it. Another friend of ours was in a MB wagon taxi in Europe and they were in a rear end collision in which the other car hit her MB wagon at 40+mph. They were fine and they will only drive MB now.

It is expensive, but I feel I am getting what I pay for in performance, safety and COMFORT!

Enjoy it and just go ask the dealer what the prices are for the scheduled maintenance for the next 4 years of your vehicle. Add $1000 for brakes every 40K and whatever for tires and you are mostly there in maintenance costs.

Oh, and if it is a high compression engine, you will have to fill it with Premium Unleaded gas only (so I have been told.)

Cheers,

Eric

avalonracing
05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Good point about the safety. In the end is there anything more important than the safety of the occupants?

Volvo1
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
The MB is a great car.

I can't really discuss what my day job is but I'm sure you can guess by my user name I'm in the car biz, actually I'm deep in the car business.

Based off of my 25 + years I have learned a few things. One of them is if you buy ANY vehicle that is not a factory CPO (certified pre-owned) or does not have an extended warranty / factory warranty you are taking a BIG chance. While car may be in great shape it's a 17 year old car and cars are NOT like wine they don't better with age! If the top malfunctions or any other major component malfunctions that may be a hard bill to swallow. :no:

But if you still move forward I would suggest you see what the NADA (North American Dealer association) book value is on the car. Hopefully it's still listed in the book. The retailers get updated books on a regular basis.

If the asking price is lower than the NADA trade in value and you can't resist good luck.

Hopefully you have many trouble free / water leak free miles!