PDA

View Full Version : Berthoud Saddle Tension

bobscott
05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
I have about 500 miles on a Gilles Berthoud saddle. Thus far, I have been very pleased with its comfort even out of the box.

After a nice ride this weekend, I found that the tension on this saddle has gotten pretty slack relative to even a well broken-in Brooks Pro. I can get about three quarters to an inch of give by pushing down on it. Sheldon and Wallingford both say leave the tension alone. I know that over tensioning can lead to excess stretching and breakdown but while comfortable this seems to be a bit on the droopy side.

Is there a "rule of thumb" for when and how much to tension leather saddles?

Thanks,
bobscott

R2D2
05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
A little tensioning (1/8th to 1/4 turn) goes a long way.
Just don't go crazy with it.

Ahneida Ride
05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
A little tensioning (1/8th to 1/4 turn) goes a long way.
Just don't go crazy with it.

this is true ...

palincss
07-27-2011, 06:36 PM
So what direction do you turn the adjustment screw to increase the tension? The instructions that come with the saddle neglect to mention that.

bobscott
07-28-2011, 07:43 AM
It has been a while since I adjusted the tension but as I recall it is standard thread...so to tighten the tension you should turn the screw counter clock wise which is the equivalent of "loosening" the screw and increasing the length of the effective saddle frame. Proceed slowly to make sure that the tension is getting tighter.
Hope this helps.
bobscott

palincss
07-28-2011, 12:47 PM
After posting this question, I emailed Gilles Berthoud. The reply I got from him this morning was: "To increase turn on the right side" i.e., clockwise.